Why do you eat dinner in the Oceanview Cafe?

dateacher

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

There may be a misunderstand here (or not).  I believe the person was stating that the offerings were scaled back by 75% to 25%.  I could be wrong!

Agreed… with the first part, not that you could be wrong. 

15 hours ago, time4u2go said:

There may be a misunderstand here (or not).  I believe the person was stating that the offerings were scaled back by 75% to 25%.  I could be wrong!

Clearly, I meant on 25% of offerings were available.  Very slim pickings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:18 PM, time4u2go said:

That's how I read the poster's comment....a reduction to 25% of what was preiously served in OVC. DH and I definitely did not experience that on the M-class over Christmas & NYE......maybe a 10% reduction but not 75% in OVC. We never had an issue with not finding dishes there that tempted us.  And since we eat about 8 p.m. most nights, it was great to enjoy the tranquility up there.  

4 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

That's how I read the poster's comment....a reduction to 25% of what was preiously served in OVC. DH and I definitely did not experience that on the M-class over Christmas & NYE......maybe a 10% reduction but not 75% in OVC. We never had an issue with not finding dishes there that tempted us.  And since we eat about 8 p.m. most nights, it was great to enjoy the tranquility up there.  

Over Xmas and NYE, you were sailing before the drastic cuts were made. They took effect with the first sailing that embarked in 2023 according to all reports 

Edited by D C
  • Like 5

We are the minority and always eat in the OV, for many reasons. I like to eat early, and not sit for two hours. I love the variety, and after 45 years of cruising, we are bored by most of the MDR food. We pack light now, and don’t wear anything dressy. The idea on eating out on the deck, at the back of the ship, appeals to us. We’ve never had any problem finding little tastes of any number of food choices. We LOVE it!!! 

• Like 5

We will maybe once on a 10 night cruise.  Just don't feel like going through the motions for the MDR.

We once went on a 10 night cruise and never visited the OVC.  Room service or MDR for breakfast and lunch every day.  That's back when they had free room service.

I go when we come back from an excursion and we're tired.  Or, when I want salad bar( although on the last cruise, they removed white albacore tuna) and Vegetarian Indian food.   My wife loves the pizza. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 5:58 AM, TeeRick said:

I have had a few bouts with kidney stones in my life but fortunately never on a cruise!  Very painful experience.😬

Extremely painful.  I was in the ER right before Thanksgiving.  The pain was 10 out of 10 and I waited 2 hours for any IV pain meds.  I tossed my cookies a few times in the waiting room( and the Norco) I took at home. 

39 minutes ago, joanne59 said:

We are the minority and always eat in the OV, for many reasons. I like to eat early, and not sit for two hours. I love the variety, and after 45 years of cruising, we are bored by most of the MDR food. We pack light now, and don’t wear anything dressy. The idea on eating out on the deck, at the back of the ship, appeals to us. We’ve never had any problem finding little tastes of any number of food choices. We LOVE it!!! 

I enjoy eating out on the deck as well. I wish the ships had more outlets, even if it's specialty dining, that would offer this. Some freshly grilled meat and side dishes and a nice sunset beat a stuffy 90-minute affair in the main dining room by any metric. I get it, sometimes people want it a little grand, especially if it's their ONE cruise per year, but I'm bored by process now. BLU helps to speed it up a little, also the smaller dining rooms on Edge class are wonderful, especially if you go early.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, Cato610 said:

Is it fish grilled per your spec every night at OVC or just one night?

Personally, the fish was not a fish I would chose.  Mackerel and maybe a farmed salmon( I could be wrong on that). 

Because I am hungry and just came back from a day in the port and don’t want to clean up and get dressed to dine in the restaurants.   We can go there wearing our shorts, tank tops, flip flops and what ever.   Then we can go to our cabin, clean up and get ready for the evening.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, joanne59 said:

Well said. Eating a relaxing meal outside on the back deck of the cruise ship while watching the ships wake tops everything for us. We also have never had any trouble finding enough good things to eat in the OVC. Love it!!!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Well said. Eating a relaxing meal outside on the back deck of the cruise ship while watching the ships wake tops everything for us. We also have never had any trouble finding enough good things to eat in the OVC. Love it!!!

That goes double when you have the enormous, covered back decks outside the OV on S-Class ships.

• Like 1

One of our favorite meals was in the OVC. We were tired from a shore excursion and the night before experienced poor service and food in the MDR. So we went up to the OVC and ate something, maybe pasta, maybe fish and chips maybe both or something else but I remember it being surprisingly good. Hardly anyone else around. We ordered wine from the sall away bar and the bar tender kept checking on us and bringing us more.  We sat quietly and talked and had a very nice evening at the end of a very nice day.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 2

One of my favoirite memories was also an evening at OVC.

We were a bit tired and decided not to get dressed up and head with the masses to the MDR. Instead we had on shorts,  t-shirts and flip flops and ate a fabulous build your own pasta and a caesar salad. It was quiet, we saw lots of officers, and the food was great.

Afterward we strolled out on the deck and the  sat in the solarium and just 'chatted amd strolled' the evening away while most people were in the MDR or the theatre. It was very peaceful. It was the last night of the cruise and it just felt so special.

• Like 2