Alaska Railroad to Seward drop off to terminal

Cruisegal5

The Alaska Railroad terminal and the cruise terminal are very close.  If I remember correctly the long-term poster "Budget Queen" (who has not posted recently) would walk between the two.  But I also have the impression that she traveled very lightly with minimal luggage.  But in any event, there will be taxis available.

1 hour ago, Cruisegal5 said:

I booked my own RR transfer from Anchorage to Seward. Can anyone tell me how far it is from where the RR drops you off to the cruise terminal? YouTube shows that is very close but I have read that is is too far to walk with luggage.

Was the price difference what made you book directly instead of with the cruise transfers?

41 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Was the price difference what made you book directly instead of with the cruise transfers?

Silversea port to port does not include transfer and the rail trip they offer is about the same price but doesn't arrive at the ship until much later than the regular train. I wanted to get on the ship earlier.

Lets put this into perspective for you:

Google Map image:

Google Maps

In the center right of the image is a white rectangular roofed building -
That is the Cruise Terminal

Taking the scheduled AK RR morning trip from Anchorage to Seward you
would arrive at the Depot -
Off to the left top is the Alaska Railroad depot at Seward (corner of Port
Avenue and Highway 9)
The distance between the two is 5-6 blocks
I have walked it about 10 minutes time short cut thru open spaces 
Free Shuttle service is provided to the cruise terminal
Luggage is usually checked at the Anchorage Depot and trucked ahead
and taken onboard and left at your cabin door - easy 

Other Option Cruise line charter train
At that Cruise terminal look up to find Alaska Lift
If you zoom in you will see a railroad siding that is where the charter train arrives
Charter train leaves Anchorage Noon +/- and arrives at the siding 5:00pm 
About 1-2 block walk depending if you in the front or back of the train
Luggage may be checked and trucked or loaded in train baggage cars - but still
yet you do not need to claim it - it will be taken on board and left at your cabin door.

Charter motor coach buses will pull up right next to the terminal - not much walking

If the weather is wet and nasty the cruise lines do a fairly good job of getting you
on board and out of that weather

There is not much room inside that Cruise terminal albeit 200 x 80 feet 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tdtanc said:

off topic abit....if your ship leaves at 8pm what time do you need to check in get on board. Thinking about taking a major marine tour that ends at 5;30

Thank you

Todd

Normal minimum requirement is 2 hours at origin embarking port -

If that marine tour is a cruise line sponsored tour then it is their schedule -

With this virus and testing stuff there are other variables

Still yet as long as the gangway is still connected to the ship you should be able to board

Don't push your luck however

15 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Luggage is usually checked at the Anchorage Depot and trucked ahead and taken onboard and left at your cabin door - easy

Do you know this to be true with respect to the morning (regularly-scheduled) train from Anchorage to Seward? The cruise lines tend to push the afternoon (chartered Grandview) train, and so I am not entirely certain as to the extent that either the railroad or the cruise lines would facilitate the coordinated checking of baggage from the Anchorage city station (as opposed to the Anchorage airport station) directly to the vessel. The logistical details are not always stated clearly by either the railroad or the cruise lines.

So much would be easier for all involved if transportation companies offered a left luggage service. Such had been the case in years past, but today dealing with the logistics of what to do with baggage (especially when having a day free to sightsee and not wanting to cart baggage along all day) seems to come up over and over again for so many travelers.

17 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Lets put this into perspective for you:

Google Map image:

Google Maps

In the center right of the image is a white rectangular roofed building -
That is the Cruise Terminal

Taking the scheduled AK RR morning trip from Anchorage to Seward you
would arrive at the Depot -
Off to the left top is the Alaska Railroad depot at Seward (corner of Port
Avenue and Highway 9)
The distance between the two is 5-6 blocks
I have walked it about 10 minutes time short cut thru open spaces 
Free Shuttle service is provided to the cruise terminal
Luggage is usually checked at the Anchorage Depot and trucked ahead
and taken onboard and left at your cabin door - easy 

Other Option Cruise line charter train
At that Cruise terminal look up to find Alaska Lift
If you zoom in you will see a railroad siding that is where the charter train arrives
Charter train leaves Anchorage Noon +/- and arrives at the siding 5:00pm 
About 1-2 block walk depending if you in the front or back of the train
Luggage may be checked and trucked or loaded in train baggage cars - but still
yet you do not need to claim it - it will be taken on board and left at your cabin door.

Charter motor coach buses will pull up right next to the terminal - not much walking

If the weather is wet and nasty the cruise lines do a fairly good job of getting you
on board and out of that weather

There is not much room inside that Cruise terminal albeit 200 x 80 feet 

Thanks for all the info. I saw what you are talking about on Google Maps, but I think I was confused by pictures and You Tube videos showing the closer cruise line sponsored  train. I am taking the earlier train because I want to arrive before 5:00. I know the cabin won't be ready, but Silversea cruise rep said I can board at  12:00. 

Thanks again.

From the end of the train in the picture - 5 blocks to the left is the Alaska RR Depot on

Port Street at Highway #9.

It would be a flat land walk - no hills inclines etc.

Notice in the photo off to the left is a grey roadway that has a curved portion near the

parking lot - one of the short cuts 

Wait for the shuttle - a taxi is overkill for that distance

My partner and I walked it in about 10 minutes - checked in - on board 10 minutes later

(we were in the Haven)

If you walk it with carry on - you will beat the shuttle crowd and be on the ship in a flash

your checked luggage perhaps already on board 

Your cruise ship (in my case the NCL JEWEL) arrived before 7am - the scheduled AK RR

am trip from Anchorage left at 6:45am and arrived 11:15 - so for the most part the staterooms

should be cleaned and ready for occupancy - a window of 4 hours for the turnaround.

The Charter train in the photo leaves Anchorage near Noon and arrives pier side at 5:00pm.

Let me see if I understand all this.  We are taking the 11:30am train from Anchorage ( I am assuming this is the chartered train).  At the train depot, they will take our luggage and it will be boarded on the ship through normal protocol.  We wont need to worry about our luggage other than our carry-ons once we arrive in Seward.  If that is correct, then I am jumping for joy!!!  

Also, where do we board the train in Anchorage?  The person I spoke to RCL to book my flights and transfer was difficult to understand and the address he gave me did not seem correct.

Need someone to step and answer the question about that Cruise Chartered Train - - -

Do or can you board it at the Anchorage Depot or at the Anchorage Airport only ?

I would imagine that your cruise line would have signage and a representative to

direct you at the airport to where the train is and handle the luggage details

In the center of Google Map is the Railroad Depot at Anchorage Airport:

Google Maps

It is a spur track off the mainline - - -

Pan to the right following the track to a WYE on the mainline.

Alaska Railroad uses a push-pull locomotive on both ends of the train similar to metro

light rail 

Panning down and to the right the tracks lead to the junction at Portage -

one set of tracks going to Whittier and the other to Seward

Zoom out on the map to see more of Alaska - - - 

4 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I can tell you it is a chartered train.  The regular train leaves @ 6:45 am.  We are on this.

YES the cruise line chartered train leaves somewhere around noon from the

Anchorage Depot ? and/or Airport stop ? and arrives at the Seward pier at 5 pm.

I have taken the AK RR scheduled train 6:45am-11:15am from the Anchorage Depot

to the Seward Depot.

I have seen the NCL cruise chartered train arrive at Seward at 5pm (Picture Post #13 above)

? ? ?s about time leaving Anchorage Depot and Airport stop ? 

For cruise ships leaving out of Whittier there is another train that does that AND

whether it still originates at the Anchorage Depot (I have done this years ago) and/or

makes a stop at the Airport (something new more recently)

The Alaska Railroad does not provide much information about those cruise chartered trains

leaving it up to the cruise line to provide the information fares and times

Looking for CC readers for a detailed response - - -

My information is about NCL

Any help with Princess and Holland-America who have their own private cars ?

15 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Do or can you board it at the Anchorage Depot or at the Anchorage Airport only ?

I would imagine that your cruise line would have signage and a representative to

direct you at the airport to where the train is and handle the luggage details

We are arriving a day early and staying at a hotel the night before.  

The address the representative gave me was 555 W. 58th Ave, Anchorage.  When I googled this address it is in the middle of industrial area with NO railroad tracks around.  

I just want to make sure we go to the correct place.  It sounds like I need to call RCCL and spend another 4 hours on hold.  UGH!!

Start manipulating those address numbers around a bit - - -

Obviously not 58th Avenue - way too far out - not even close to the airport !

Try 5th Avenue (downtown Anchorage)

Captain Cook hotel 939 W 5th

Sheraton - 401 E 6th

Two of the common cruise ship hotels

Same Google Map that you use ?

Google Maps

Zoom in for detail 

Hotel package with cruise line ?

Should show somewhere on the e-docs invoice ? 

Are you being picked up at the hotel the day of the cruise ?

Ship leaving out of Whittier - Seward ?

Bus or Train to port ?

4 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Hotel package with cruise line ?

Should show somewhere on the e-docs invoice ? 

Are you being picked up at the hotel the day of the cruise ?

Ship leaving out of Whittier - Seward ?

Bus or Train to port ?

I was never offered a hotel package but it would have been nice.

The e-docs just show that I have booked the transfer but no other information.  I was told I would get more details as the cruise get closer.

We are going to Uber/Lyft or Cab to where ever we need to be to catch the train.

We are leaving out of Seward

We have booked the train.  🙂

I was doing some research and I think we have to go to the airport and check in at the Hospitality Center.  I have sent an email to RCCL instead of calling ( i don't have time to sit on hold for 2-3 hours).  As soon as I receive information, I will post it here.  I am sure I am not the only one with a 1000 questions.  🙂

If not in a cruise line hotel then ???

Hotels close to Alaska Railroad train depot:

Anchorage Grand * one block walking distance

Aviator - 4 block walk

Ramada ** has shuttle to depot

Hilton - 4 block walk

Comfort Inn - across the tracks from Depot

-Lots of B & B in area

The days of the cruise ship sailing - the 6:45am train is a zoo of

folks getting tickets (seat assignments) checking baggage and

waiting to board the train.

*** suggest that if you can drop by the Depot the day before and

get your tickets and seat assignments and baggage/luggage checking

Seating assignments in the Gold Star (bi-level) cars - I don't know about

the Adventure class  

6 hours ago, luv2cruise668 said:

I was never offered a hotel package but it would have been nice.

The e-docs just show that I have booked the transfer but no other information.  I was told I would get more details as the cruise get closer.

We are going to Uber/Lyft or Cab to where ever we need to be to catch the train.

We are leaving out of Seward

We have booked the train.  🙂

I was doing some research and I think we have to go to the airport and check in at the Hospitality Center.  I have sent an email to RCCL instead of calling ( i don't have time to sit on hold for 2-3 hours).  As soon as I receive information, I will post it here.  I am sure I am not the only one with a 1000 questions.  🙂

I am looking forward to what you learn.  

In the past those who booked through their cruise line were on the chartered train.  The chartered train was not boarded at the downtown Alaska Railroad Depot but instead boarded at the Anchorage airport.  And this option delivered folks to a siding directly beside the Seward cruise terminal.  There was no option to book this directly with the ARR -- it could only be booked through the cruise line.  

Those who booked directly with the ARR boarded at the ARR downtown depot.  This option never stopped at the Anchorage airport.  And folks were delivered to the Seward RR depot and not at the siding beside the cruise terminal.  But Seward is so small that really isn't much of an issue.

Since the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act only allowed RT cruises out of Seattle there were no experiences last summer.