Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony "Select Cabins" have butler/concierge

Shellbelle28

A friend of mine was telling me today that she's got a cruise booked in an aft penthouse and she's seeing that "select cabins" in her category have butler/concierge service (I think on the Jewel.). She hasn't been getting any response back from NCL to find out if her cabin is one of the select or not. 

I know this is a recent change for NCL. Does anybody know why they would have a category of cabins with such significant differences? And how do you make sure you pick the one that has the butler/concierge?

A few years ago we cruised on NCL in a rear penthouse. Because it’s a suite you have all of the suite features.  Butler included!  However I recently found out that you don’t have access to the Haven area.  On the Jewel size ships you do have Cagney as your suite restaurant or Moderna which is not locked in the Haven area.  Was truly spoiled by having a suite, but don’t think the Haven is worth the money.

I believe they re -categorized the aft penthouse suites with the deck 10 ones (largest balconies) having butler service. The deck 8 and 9 ones have a different designation on the website. They've done the same thing with the deck 9 vs 10 owners' suite - given them a new H category while pre Covid they were the same.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Might not apply since we are on the Breakaway, but all descriptions of our room when booking (Haven Aft Penthouse) said we have a Butler/Concierge, access to Haven area/etc. It didn’t say anything about select cabins in the category. 

2 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

A friend of mine was telling me today that she's got a cruise booked in an aft penthouse and she's seeing that "select cabins" in her category have butler/concierge service (I think on the Jewel.). She hasn't been getting any response back from NCL to find out if her cabin is one of the select or not. 

I know this is a recent change for NCL. Does anybody know why they would have a category of cabins with such significant differences? And how do you make sure you pick the one that has the butler/concierge?

The issue of potential elimination of butler and/or concierge services for some of the Penthouse Suites on the Jewel-class ships in fact arose back in 2019, when folks noticed that the deck plans for cruises on those ships showed that for cruises embarking in late 2020, NCL was going to re-classify those Suites and create a couple of new categories, including a new category called "SN" -- the aft-facing Penthouses on Decks 8 and 9.  For those, random bookings showed "butler and concierge service in most."  For the new category SM of aft-facing Penthouses on Deck 10, the booking engine showed "butler and concierge service." 

I started a thread back then at the following link, to collect what factual information could be gleaned about all this at the time, since NCL had not made -- and still hasn't made  -- any official announcement about this.  Not much happened after that because of the pandemic, but now that things are picking up again, we are seeing folks who would like to book a Penthouse confused by the "in most" language, since NCL has not specified which SNs have that service, and which don't. 

As I have previously advised, anyone interested in booking a Penthouse where the booking engine says "butler and concierge service in most" needs to get clarification from NCL as to what services WILL be included with that suite. 

If your friend wants to be certain that they will have butler and concierge services in an aft-facing Penthouse, they should book an SM on Deck 10, unless they can get some assurances from NCL about the SNs. 

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby54 said:

A few years ago we cruised on NCL in a rear penthouse. Because it’s a suite you have all of the suite features.  Butler included!  

What happened a few years ago is not necessarily what will be the case in the future, as the aft-facing Penthouses on the Jewel-class ships have been split into two different categories, with possibly different services.  See my comment immediately above. 

1 hour ago, meglet said:

I believe they re -categorized the aft penthouse suites with the deck 10 ones (largest balconies) having butler service. The deck 8 and 9 ones have a different designation on the website.

That is correct about the re-categorization of the aft-facing Penthouses.  See my comment immediately above.  Whether the Penthouses on 8 and 9 will actually receive fewer services still remains to be seen, but NCL has definitely left it open on their web site for that to be the case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, academytim said:

Hmmm. Might not apply since we are on the Breakaway, but all descriptions of our room when booking (Haven Aft Penthouse) said we have a Butler/Concierge, access to Haven area/etc. It didn’t say anything about select cabins in the category. 

You are booked in Haven, so yes you get everything Haven. They are talking about a different category that received some Haven benefits (butler, concierge, etc.) but we’re not “true” Haven. You get everything and trust me, you’ll love it! Was on the Breakaway Haven in October and had the best cruise. Have a great time!

4 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

You are booked in Haven, so yes you get everything Haven. They are talking about a different category that received some Haven benefits (butler, concierge, etc.) but we’re not “true” Haven.

And not just a different category of stateroom, but an entirely different class of ship (Jewel class). 

BTW, for folks who don't know, whatever the class of ship, a Haven suite has "H" as the first letter in the stateroom category; a non-Haven suite will start with "S."   🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I emailed the precruise concierge and this is their answer: Butler service is not 24 hours and ends at midnight. That’s fine with me since I’ve never needed the butler overnight, but it may upset people who do. I really wish they would clarify this on their website! This affects only SN suites (non/Haven) on Jewel-class ships and only on decks 8 and 9. All other suite amenities remain the same.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Silver Girl said:

I emailed the precruise concierge and this is their answer: Butler service is not 24 hours and ends at midnight. That’s fine with me since I’ve never needed the butler overnight, but it may upset people who do. I really wish they would clarify this on their website! This affects only SN suites (non/Haven) on Jewel-class ships and only on decks 8 and 9. All other suite amenities remain the same.

Thank you for posting that info from NCL.  Not only should they clarify the info on their web site, but the web site's statement with respect to the SN suites that they have "butler and concierge service in most" isn't only confusing, it's incorrect based on their reply to you.  According to that reply, they ALL have those services, but the butler services end at midnight.   (BTW, the SN Penthouse suites are ONLY on Decks 8 and 9 on the Jewel-class ships.  The other aft-facing Penthouse suites, on Deck 10, are category SM.)  

• Like 2

I just sailed in December in an SN suite on Deck 9 on the Gem.  I had a butler and all of the normal suite amenities as prior to the pandemic. No one onboard said anything about butler service not being available after midnight, but I would rarely (if ever) use the butler after midnight.

• Like 1

A butler is one of the most over rated aspects of the Haven.  While nice, they cant even deliver you alcohol because of the drink package.  How is the Haven considered luxury when a butler cant even fetch you a drink?  The newer ships have a Horizon lounge which has your coffee, tea, treats, etc.  Its steps outside your door.  It defeats the purpose of a butler because you can get anything you want there including those gummie bears so many make a fuss about.  We rarely ever use a butler.  If you cant sit on your balcony and have a drink delivered then you lost me on the entire concept.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone sailed in an SN aft penthouse recently on Jewel class ships ( the Gem, if possible)?   I'm not really that interested in the butler,  but were you able to wait in the Haven waiting room before boarding, and then board first?  And did you get breakfast and lunch at Moderno's and Cagney's?  So,  all the Haven perks,  except the Haven courtyard.    I have read that,  I believe  on the Joy,  people have booked aft penthouses and after booking that perk was taken away.  Thanks for any info.

• 1 year later...

The gem is moving to a nearby port - so starting to research categories. 

Any further information/experiences on whether SN acts get the full PH treatment?  Only I only care about the breakfast/lunch benefit (Modernos, Cagneys)