Coco Cay Cannons - Snorkel Photos

SG65CB

Coco Cay, February 7, 2022

The sunken airplane is outside the swim boundaries. However I did find these cannons while snorkeling at Chill Island.

Does anyone know the story behind these? Some type of shipwreck?

These photos are actually from two locations, one appears to be the bow of a ship, and the other the side of a ship, maybe the same ship.

P2070756.JPG

P2070760.JPG

P2070775.JPG

P2070792.JPG

P2070821.JPG

P2070824.JPG

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

So how do you get to sunken airplane?  With an expensive crowded excursion?

If you try to swim there from shore the lifeguard will stop you. I don't think snorkel excursions go out there, possibly scuba excursions do. 

7 hours ago, conodor said:

That's pretty cool. Do you know of a map location or can you do a quick circle on a map for me.

I can't find a map that has the landmarks. I wish I had taken pictures from shore showing the course to get there.

I can tell you the landmarks although they could change so hopefully you're going soon. 

This is at Chill Island. As you face the water you will see a line of white spherical buoys marking the boundary of the swim area. Along this line there are some floating platforms with a lifeguard on each platform. Look at the leftmost lifeguard and then count three white buoys to the right of that lifeguard (to your right). The shipwreck is just inside that marker. 

Then while you are at the shipwreck you will look towards shore and a little to your left. There will be a floating swim platform nearby. It was unoccupied when I was there. Swim around to the opposite side of that platform from where you are and you will find the row of cannons about 20 feet from the platform.

I hope these instructions work. Let me know. 

Edited by SG65CB

• 2 months later...

"The snorkeling area is located on, unsurprisingly, Snorkel Beach. There are several lifeguards who watch over the area, and they rigidly enforce the snorkel vest rule by blowing whistles as if a Great White is on the loose. The folks at Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have sunk an airplane, a small ship and a cannon as props to lure both snorkelers and fish to explore the area. Several times a day, the lifeguards come out to feed the fish, creating a frenzy that's worth witnessing up close and personal. Don't even think about feeding the fish yourself."

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:42 PM, BlerkOne said:

"The snorkeling area is located on, unsurprisingly, Snorkel Beach. There are several lifeguards who watch over the area, and they rigidly enforce the snorkel vest rule by blowing whistles as if a Great White is on the loose. The folks at Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have sunk an airplane, a small ship and a cannon as props to lure both snorkelers and fish to explore the area. Several times a day, the lifeguards come out to feed the fish, creating a frenzy that's worth witnessing up close and personal. Don't even think about feeding the fish yourself."

what is the snorkel vest rule?  thanks

I was there May 7. I chose to stop and sign the waiver and get a free vest at the Snorkel Shack on my way to the water. First one in! Later in the day there were a lot of folk close to shore snorkeling without a vest. You don't have to blow it up and it wasn't very annoying to wear.

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, twins_to_alaska said:

I was there May 7. I chose to stop and sign the waiver and get a free vest at the Snorkel Shack on my way to the water. First one in!

What time did you get there?