Disembarking Edge

Hawkstar33

Edge Arrival FT L, 7am, according to our April itinerary.    What's the earliest time that we can get our luggage, and get off the ship??  Southwest threw a flight change curveball at us, and we now have a 10:15am flight out of FT L airport.    I may look to change my flight.  

On Monday Southwest really did a gut job on spring FL schedules. Even the rebooking options aren't great. 

As long as you can carry off by 7:00/7:30am you should be fine. I would grab a waiting taxi instead of an Uber. It can take them forever to get back into the port area. 

• Like 1

We disembarked the Edge on Sunday 12/19/21 at 0730am(in a Sky Suite and took our bags with us) and caught the first cab and got to the FLL airport at 07:55am and caught our 9:40am flight to BNA with lots of time to spare. Should not be a problem at all but like was said above, catch a cab and not an uber.

• Like 2

We disembarked Edge 2-6-22, we were in Group 1.  We got off and picked up our luggage, took a Lyft (no problem and never have had any with either Uber or Lyft at Port Everglades).  WE easily made our 9:45 AM flight. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Great.   Is there a certain way to be in the first group?  Do I need to speak to any particular person on the ship, that may handle this?

Talk to the Guest Relations staff, several days before the end of the cruise if you want to get luggage tags to be in an early group.  If you're wanting to do "walk-off" (Self-assist, carry your own luggage), you need not do anything special. 

Harris

Denver, CO

11 minutes ago, omeinv said:

Talk to the Guest Relations staff, several days before the end of the cruise if you want to get luggage tags to be in an early group.  If you're wanting to do "walk-off" (Self-assist, carry your own luggage), you need not do anything special. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Gotcha.    TY

15 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Edge Arrival FT L, 7am, according to our April itinerary.    What's the earliest time that we can get our luggage, and get off the ship??  Southwest threw a flight change curveball at us, and we now have a 10:15am flight out of FT L airport.    I may look to change my flight.  

You could do self assist walk off at 7am but if you require baggage delivery I wouldn't expect to get it before 8am even in Group 1. I had a similar departure time and did walk off, worked out fine but only because I was able to use First Class check-in at FLL for Alaska Airlines (lines were endless).

17 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

When is the next flight?  It might be helpful to know the potential gain if you want to evaluate the risk.

• Like 1

I disembarked the Edge on February 6th. I had a 9 AM flight from FLL and chose to walk off carrying my own luggage. Celebrity put information in my stateroom a couple of days earlier saying to be in Eden by 7:15 AM to begin this process. I arrived there at 7:10 AM and they began as soon as I arrived. I never stopped walking after that until I arrived at the curb by 7:20 AM, was at the airport not long after and was about an hour early for my flight! It can be done.

• Like 2

Just got off the Edge on 2/13. Your stateroom attendant will deliver your luggage tags 2 nights before you disembark. 

If you want to walk off, you won't use the luggage tags or put your bags out the night before. You'll just hang onto everything. When it comes to getting off the ship, you'll go first -- on our cruise those folks went off at 7:15a. The airport is really close -- you can make it to the airport in plenty of time if you walk off. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, speedoguy1 said:

So I can leave the Apex and be at the airport I time for my 9:30 am flight.  
Good situation as it’s a non-stop flight home.  The next one is at 6:00 pm.  

Getting to the airport isn't the issue, the largest hurdles are if the luggage checkin and/or TSA lines are long.  If you have airline priority or TSA pre-check/Clear both are helpful.

Here's the best course of action if you want to make an early flight:

1)  ASSUME you will miss it, have a backup flight and plan picked out in advance

2)  See if you airline offers the an affordable la carte option for priority check in (not boarding), buy it if it makes sense

3)  Self carry off the ship if possible, if not speak to guest services

4)  Once off the ship make a B-Line for the Taxi, ubers may say it could only be a few minutes but when you confirm it the time could increase and there could be difficulties with them locating you (They may not speak good English)

5)  Look for curbside check in and notice line length, look inside at the bag drop line, pick whichever appears to be shorter

That's really it, no other decisions you need to make, it's all pure luck from there between an airports passenger to staff ratio at the time you show up

We have a 10:40am flight out of MIA on April 3rd,  Wish us luck.  We were on Odyssey over new years and did self assist were off the ship by 645 and at the airport by 7:00.  Fingers crossed Edge will be just as easy

7 hours ago, whitshel said:

We have a 10:40am flight out of MIA on April 3rd,  Wish us luck.  We were on Odyssey over new years and did self assist were off the ship by 645 and at the airport by 7:00.  Fingers crossed Edge will be just as easy

Good luck.  Do you have a Plan B?

I recommend using taxi instead of UBER/Lyft. For one, during the time the cruise ships let our their pax all rideshares have surge pricing and it takes forever until a car arrives at your terminal. It's also a lot cheaper to get a taxi (I paid half of what UBER displayed at FLL).

Not sure I'd risk a 9:30am flight. Mine was at 10:05am and I felt that was already pushing it.

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Always need a plan B.  On one cruise there was gunfire on the pier.  Nobody disembarked until 9am. All sorts of stuff can happen.

Its not like I'm going to buy another ticket now just in case we might miss it.  If we miss it then we worry about it  Just like our Uber may get in an accident on our way to the ship, I'm not going to buy another ticket now for the next days cruise. 🤔

7 hours ago, whitshel said:

Its not like I'm going to buy another ticket now just in case we might miss it.  If we miss it then we worry about it  Just like our Uber may get in an accident on our way to the ship, I'm not going to buy another ticket now for the next days cruise. 🤔

No one's suggesting that you buy another ticket but you should know your options and potential costs.  Is the next flight in an hour or a day?  Will you need to buy a ticket on another airline?  Conducting this analysis ahead of time allows you to make an informed decision on the risk of missing your scheduled flight.  It also allows you to act more quickly if you miss your scheduled flight.