Does anyone else feel cheated?

bubbapk1

17 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Speechless (but not quite)... that you feel cheated. You know full well that sailing during this time is subject to change, even after boarding. You sign a contract that informs you ports are not guaranteed.  You know that Covid is a world-wide problem for over two years now, you care only about Dublin, but never bothered to do any independent research on the status of the port.  If you read these boards you know that some ports have changed and since retracted some of their rules regarding ship size (which is why Cekebrity likely elected not to panic and make changes until they were forced to). Yet, you that Celebrity has cheated you. Generally, people and businesses "cheat" for some undeserved gain. What exactly does Celebrity stand to gain? Amazing. 

Way back in Post #6 the OP said they meant disappointed and not cheated.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Loujul said:

Of course I'm disappointed.  When you plan a vacation, you choose your ship by the ports they will visit.  Canceling Dublin on an Ireland intensive cruise is crushing.  Arriving across the pond and spending money for airfare and precruise hotels add to the cost.  The cruise line should reimburse the cruiser for the loss of the port, but they don't consider this.  

What is the reason we do not hold the port managers responsible for ruining our well planned sailings, after all they are the ones in control of whether a ship can dock or not.

Just a thought and bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Loujul said:

Of course I'm disappointed.  When you plan a vacation, you choose your ship by the ports they will visit.  Canceling Dublin on an Ireland intensive cruise is crushing.  Arriving across the pond and spending money for airfare and precruise hotels add to the cost.  The cruise line should reimburse the cruiser for the loss of the port, but they don't consider this.  

Several others here have posted suggestions for seeing Dublin, to help in reducing the crushing feeling. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Way back in Post #6 the OP said they meant disappointed and not cheated.

I missed that and I apologize for doing so. Disappointed I can understand and sympathize with. Still would not have expected different from Celebrity.

10 hours ago, Loujul said:

If you have been charged port fees and the port is changed, the fees will be adjusted. If its cancelled you get a full refund for that port. Are you really taking about being otherwise compensated for the change?  If so, why on earth would you expect that? I can't think of one even reason for that.

Edited by Guppy99

23 hours ago, Loujul said:

Covid or no Covid every cruise on every cruise line is subject to the same booking conditions i.e. they can change every port for whatever reason. Basically if a cruise leaves from the correct port and arrives at the stated end port it is the same cruise. Whilst on a cruise with X we booked from Miami to Southampton via New York and Ireland. 24 hours later the route was via Madeira and Lisbon. X insisted it was the same cruise as it still started in Miami and ended in Southampton.

I would venture to guess that cruise lines like Celebrity do not like to change scheduled port visits for a variety of reasons, including disappointing passengers.  Ships at scheduled port visits both load and off-load items, re-fuel, change some crew members and entertainers, a lot of activity.  Too much to list here.  Finding an alternative port is not just as simple as a phone call.  It is not an easy thing overall.  Then throw on top the pandemic issues and port labor issues.  As many here have said, it is hard to cast blame on Celebrity as they more than likely do not want to change a scheduled port.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

When you consider that Dublin Port handles 50% of Ireland’s cargo arrivals and that maritime business increases every year, it stands to reason that cruise ships will gradually be reduced in the number of stops. Also, just like many ports, there is a lot of catching up to do because of Covid19 and its disruption of maritime services. Cargo takes priority over passengers, as it should. A country and its cities have to re-supply themselves. Cruise visitors are not going to provide that relief.

So, until Celebrity – or any other cruise line – is told that they can no longer call on Dublin Port, it will continue to appear on cruise itineraries. You make your booking you take your chances. Within the next couple of years, I believe that Dublin Port will totally eliminate cruise ships in which case X will no longer show it on their itineraries.

Until then, one can only hope for the best and no one is at fault. Disappointment should not always place blame. Unfortunately, it’s a sign of the times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

When you consider that Dublin Port handles 50% of Ireland’s cargo arrivals and that maritime business increases every year, it stands to reason that cruise ships will gradually be reduced in the number of stops. Also, just like many ports, there is a lot of catching up to do because of Covid19 and its disruption of maritime services. Cargo takes priority over passengers, as it should. A country and its cities have to re-supply themselves. Cruise visitors are not going to provide that relief.

So, until Celebrity – or any other cruise line – is told that they can no longer call on Dublin Port, it will continue to appear on cruise itineraries. You make your booking you take your chances. Within the next couple of years, I believe that Dublin Port will totally eliminate cruise ships in which case X will no longer show it on their itineraries.

Until then, one can only hope for the best and no one is at fault. Disappointment should not always place blame. Unfortunately, it’s a sign of the times.  

Wait just a New York second!  Are you trying to say cargo and goods coming into Ireland/Dublin take precedence over cruisers who have been so looking forward to seeing Dublin?  Surely you jest!  🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Wait just a New York second!  Are you trying to say cargo and goods coming into Ireland/Dublin take precedence over cruisers who have been so looking forward to seeing Dublin?  Surely you jest!  🤣

Shouldn't you use the term Massachusetts minute instead?😀

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Mad for it!  Haha - you know I've been there enough to speak on such matters even though I am but a Canadian.

Your name says it all WorkerBee,… and with a name like that  us Mancs will welcome you back any time !…. I’d avoid Liverpool though if I were you 😀🇨🇦🇨🇦🇬🇧

• Haha 1