Does anyone else feel cheated?

bubbapk1

58 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

People comparing this to cancelled Caribbean port are way of beam.

Celebrity said it’s COVID related,,,it’s not!
Its a decision made by and no doubt conveyed to cruise companies over 2 years ago,the cruise lines knew of these plans.

If it is due to Irish COVID protocols has no one told Celebrity that Waterford Is also in Ireland,,,,,,X cancelled Dublin & Cork and replaced them with Waterford.

Its about time cruise lines started being straight with their customers.

From March 2019…..

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwir6LK84oT2AhXbEcAKHWnkDOYQFnoECAoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fdublin-port-defends-decision-to-restrict-cruise-ships-1.3833857&usg=AOvVaw1yXVWuPKgf-zztI-1IcLac

Also to note, the decision published was at the very beginning of the Covid crisis and who could have known then, what they may have known several months or a year later that could have influenced decisions....

In health and bon voyage

1 minute ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

In fact, maybe you could have co-ordinated the new port of call on X's behalf, as you knew this started two (2) years ago.

Hi Bo

In fact maybe once in your life you could see Celebrity blaming COVID for this cancellation is total tosh.

If Celebrity had said the reason was its inability to secure a berth due to Dublin port decision to reduce the number of cruise ships it allows to berth,,,,,,that would have been more honest.

But whilst cruise lines have customers who will never have anything bad to say about them the pulling the wool over the paying customers eyes will continue.

ps,I thought your reply to me was a bit condescending,,,alas never mind.

a sense of humor goes a long way.  BTW your name JeanieC,Aston reminds me of a very famous country singer in the US, Jeanie C Reilly...alas never mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on the same cruise as you and rebooked from the cancel cruise last year. We also did the May 2019 Celebrity Cruise of the British Isle and Iceland. This cruise departed from Dublin and we were told at that time that Dublin would be stopping cruise visits in the future to focus on cargo. 
 I was pleasantly surprised when this year’s cruise included this stop.

Apparently the visit was recently eliminated. I can only guess that the world commercial shipping backlog is to blame.

By the way, flying in and out of Dublin was a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shipswap said:

We are on the same cruise as you and rebooked from the cancel cruise last year. We also did the May 2019 Celebrity Cruise of the British Isle and Iceland. This cruise departed from Dublin and we were told at that time that Dublin would be stopping cruise visits in the future to focus on cargo. 

Apparently the visit was recently eliminated. I can only guess that the world commercial shipping backlog is to blame.

More likely that Brexit has changed cargo flows, resulting in a considerable increase in cargo traffic into and out of Dublin.

6 minutes ago, Shipswap said:

The fact that you stopped in Dublin this year, puts to bed the they knew about this one year ago conspiracy theory and deliberately withheld this from the many here are complaining about.

Edited by LGW59

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I get the frustration.  I'm sure everyone on these boards can provide their history of booked, cancelled, rebooked, and canceled again cruises in the past two years - myself included for sure!  Including our most recent December Holiday cruise with one port of call canceled two weeks prior to departure and a second canceled on board the morning we we scheduled to arrive in the port.  It happens.  

I think we just have to accept that for the near term at least this is all likely to continue, so we either enjoy the cruises we've booked for the sake of being back on board and roll with the punches, or continue to push out our plans until a brighter day.  As for me, I'm choosing the former....

A wonderful outlook that we also believe in….At present we have two cruises booked. There are ports on both we hope to visit but if changes happen c’est la vie…That is life….we do not blame the cruise line or ports…they are still changing to covid adjustments on a regular basis. Also within Europe there are ports still adjusting to Brexit…

For ‘bucket list’ itineraries I would honestly defer for a year. Perhaps then things will be more stable. However, life changes…there are always things (political situations, weather) that can disrupt any cruise or any vacation even when we are post covid, post brexit adjustments…

Every cruise we take we hope to enjoy the full itinerary but we have been restricted by Hurricanes and Cyclones and political issues that too have influenced land based holidays. 

I honestly think that for the next year or so we need to see all itineraries as ‘planned’ and, I think most frequent cruisers see all itineraries as proposed… not guaranteed.

• Like 2

OMG! Call 1-800-CRY-BOO HOO 🙄

our cruise is also affected by the change and we are still looking forward to it. Waterford as a replacement even looks more interesting. Love Dublin’s nightlife which we could not have enjoy on the cruise anyways.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

our cruise is also affected by the change and we are still looking forward to it. Waterford as a replacement even looks more interesting. Love Dublin’s nightlife which we couldn’t enjoy on the cruise anyways.

m - we have to remember or at least try, the OP and others have relatively low posting counts, so this may contribute to a mis-understanding or acceptance of how cruising may or may not operate even though they may have been lurkers for some time...

LOL, which extension does one request???

bon voyage

30 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

a sense of humor goes a long way.  BTW your name JeanieC,Aston reminds me of a very famous country singer in the US, Jeanie C Reilly...alas never mind

The Harper Vally PTA thought Mrs Johnson was being humorous when she addressed them,,,,until she came to the line ‘You are all Harper Vally hypocrites’😏

Alas some people see humour when there is none,,,,never mind!

49 minutes ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

I’m very disappointed too. I’m booked on Apex departing Amsterdam on June 7 which included a stop in Dublin. Yesterday I received an email from Celebrity that our stop in Dublin was cancelled due to Covid protocols. I found this troubling since the Republic of Ireland dropped many of their Covid mandates last week. I started doing some investigation and discovered this change was known by Celebrity as well as other cruise companies  since early 2021. It has nothing to do with Covid but rather that the Port of Dublin refused docking to cruise ships. There are lots of articles on Google. I’ve posted one of them below. Celebrity’s blaming it on Covid is a PR black eye for Celebrity. They knew they weren’t stopping in Dublin and yet continued to sell it with Dublin included until yesterday. 

Tourism groups have hit out at Dublin Port's announcement that no berths will be available for large cruise ships next year. The port company says it has no space because of demands produced by Brexit. ... Now the port berths will not be available at all next year except for ships under 200m which can use berth 18.May 27, 2021

I've seen some extremely tenuous things blamed on Brexit but international cruise ships not being able to dock in Dublin wins the prize so far! 

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

m - we have to remember or at least try, the OP and others have relatively low posting counts, so this may contribute to a mis-understanding or acceptance of how cruising may or may not operate even though they may have been lurkers for some time...

LOL, which extension does one request???

bon voyage

What!!!!!
I have 77 cruises under my belt,,,,,,,so because I don’t post a lot on CC I do not understand or do not accept how cruises operates.

Give me a break.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

our cruise is also affected by the change and we are still looking forward to it. Waterford as a replacement even looks more interesting. Love Dublin’s nightlife which we could not have enjoy on the cruise anyways.

Hi Miaminice.

IMO Waterford is not a patch on Cobh.besides it’s a tender port and the sea between The UK and Ireland are not the smoothest.

I have been on many cruises where ports have been cancelled,,that doesn’t phase me,,,things happen.

But when Celebrity cancels a cruise quoting COVID when no protocol exists stopping cruise ships docking in Ireland,,,,,I don’t feel comfortable with that and I can understand those on that cruise being disappointed.

Btw,a good afternoon can be had in Dublin,,live Irish music everywhere,try O’Donoghues or the Oliver St John Gogharty in Temple Bar.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Definitas said:

I've seen some extremely tenuous things blamed on Brexit but international cruise ships not being able to dock in Dublin wins the prize so far! 

Hi.

The big cruise ships dock in Dublin at the Alexander Dock,,,,,at the moment it’s a huge building site constructing a new Ro-Ro cargo terminal.

They are expanding Dublin to take the big container ships thats needed to import export for Irelands needs.

4 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

But when Celebrity cancels a cruise quoting COVID when no protocol exists stopping cruise ships docking in Ireland,,,

And in the end, what difference does it make? The end result is the same, whether due to Covid  restrictions, port construction, cargo ship demand or  the flap of a butterfly's wings. You aren't going to port there. Period. Deal with it, or cancel your cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mom says said:

And in the end, what difference does it make? The end result is the same, whether due to Covid  restrictions, port construction, cargo ship demand or  the flap of a butterfly's wings. You aren't going to port there. Period. Deal with it, or cancel your cruise.

...and whatever the reason, it likely is out of Celebrity's control.  I'm sure they would prefer to keep the itinerary in tact and make the original ports of call.

In terms of reasons, however, I'm leaning towards the flap of a butterfly's wings!  By far the most credible and likely cause.....😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

What!!!!!
I have 77 cruises under my belt,,,,,,,so because I don’t post a lot on CC I do not understand or do not accept how cruises operates.

Give me a break.

OUCH!!! I never commented on 'how many cruises' you or others may or may not have taken as opposed to how one understands how cruises and cruising operates... of which neither is representative of the other, IMO.

The declarative statements lead me to believe it is the latter, as a lurker.

bon voyage

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

The Harper Vally PTA thought Mrs Johnson was being humorous when she addressed them,,,,until she came to the line ‘You are all Harper Vally hypocrites’😏

Alas some people see humour when there is none,,,,never mind!

Your glass is obviously half empty, please slide it over and I am happy to fill it up and share my wine with you.  

• Haha 1

Liverpool is a great stop.  I went there with Princess and if Celebrity dock in the same place you can walk into Liverpool. You are right by the Liver building.  Get on the HOHO,  do a Beatles tour or just wander. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

OUCH!!! I never commented on 'how many cruises' you or others may or may not have taken as opposed to how one understands how cruises and cruising operates... of which neither is representative of the other, IMO.

The declarative statements lead me to believe it is the latter, as a lurker.

bon voyage

Ouch indeed,as you seem to keep moving the goalposts.

Allow me one more post.

What the heck does the number of posts I make on CC have to do with how I do or do not know how cruises operate?

Are you saying unless I have 6800 posts I will never know as much about cruising after some 77 cruises as someone who posts 20000 mundane posts on CC,but as only done 20 cruises.

As an old Liverpool seaman once said to me when talking about the number of cruises.

”I’ve spent longer on a wave son”

As they say in Liverpool ‘Tarra La see yer when I see yer’.

Cruising is in a state of Flux.  Am I disappointed my FLL to Southampton and Norway 2020 cruises were cancelled?  Absolutely.   How about 2021 within other TA, a couple Med and two others cancelled.  Now in 2022 we port in Greenland and there are no tours available as all booked.

Brexit certainly has made changes to shipping in Ireland and the UK.  Those changes could not have been anticipated.   Should X look for another port?  Sure, but until everything sorts out (the change in shipping to Dublin is a result of both Covid & Brexit) my choice is to be flexible and happy to cruise, tour by land or stay home.  Son is going to Dublin in May for a conference and staying on for 2 weeks.  Much better way to really know an area 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Ouch indeed,as you seem to keep moving the goalposts.

Allow me one more post.

What the heck does the number of posts I make on CC have to do with how I do or do not know how cruises operate?

Are you saying unless I have 6800 posts I will never know as much about cruising after some 77 cruises as someone who posts 20000 mundane posts on CC,but as only done 20 cruises.

As an old Liverpool seaman once said to me when talking about the number of cruises.

”I’ve spent longer on a wave son”

As they say in Liverpool ‘Tarra La see yer when I see yer’.

As my dear mom used to say, "get off the cross someone else needs the wood"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4