Proctored Covid Test Done Prior to Cruising

WFBgal

We are taking the Abbot BinaxNow Antigen test on Monday & have read instructions online. Is it easy to do without messing up results? I tend to stress about stuff never done before. If one of us messes up the results, will HAL give us the test at the port prior to boarding? Thank you for any advice…someone please calm my nerves.

The hardest part is positioning the camera for the proctor to see everything. This is also an issue when waiting for the results as the camera needs to stay on the test for the entire 15 minutes. I did it on a laptop where I could move the lid/screen to get the right angle. As for the process, they walk you through everything and it’s quite easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jkrislc said:

The hardest part is positioning the camera for the proctor to see everything. This is also an issue when waiting for the results as the camera needs to stay on the test for the entire 15 minutes. I did it on a laptop where I could move the lid/screen to get the right angle. As for the process, they walk you through everything and it’s quite easy. 

Agreed... once you are done, you realize how fast and easily it is done.  I would indeed use a laptop or have someone on hand to handle your smartphone because of needing to have everything in screen; you, the test kit and your activities as you proceed.  Have your ID on hand also and make sure haven't misspelled your name.  My DW did this and had to wait an hour after correcting the name she registered on the app with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used this test before boarding the Nieuw Statendam for our Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago.  Very easy and quick to do.  I agree with positioning the camera is important.  We used a computer. 

The email with your results comes very quickly.  We went to the website on the box and preregistered before hand.  Then just clicked on the link when we were ready to do the test.

It's super easy! I was very nervous about it because I had purchased just one test each for my dh and myself and worried that one (or both) of us would mess something up. We read through the instructions first. The proctor was patient and walked us through everything before we started. Could not have gone more smoothly!! The proctor stayed on-line with us until we both received our e-mail with the negative test results. 

Edited by jlnprt
  • Like 1

I'm doing this tomorrow and hope it goes well. I am nervous as well. I had hoped to test at Walgreens but they are all out of rapid tests right now in my area. People talk about using their computer and having a phone with them as well. If I have a laptop, what do I need the phone for? 

24 minutes ago, cfgrandma said:

We ordered the Abbott BinaxNow tests through the HAL link.  The test boxes show an app for NAVICA that I couldn't find out how to load on my PC.

Is there a website that I can use to do our tests?

Thank you,

Carolyn

click on the link that says "start taking the test".  https://www.emed.com/app/login

Edited by cruzin4us
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cfgrandma said:

We ordered the Abbott BinaxNow tests through the HAL link.  The test boxes show an app for NAVICA that I couldn't find out how to load on my PC.

Is there a website that I can use to do our tests?

Thank you,

Carolyn

You do not need the navica app at all, you get results via e-mail that can be printed or saved as a PDF. You will need a webcam to use your PC, a microphone also helps so you don't have to do everything via chat. Most laptops have a built in mic and webcam, desktops don't usually come with mic and webcam.

We did the tests online, I was also worried about how it would go.  I bought a tripod for the phone, and it worked great.  I was worried about using our laptop because it's old, and I had trouble with zoom calls on it.  Enjoy your cruise! 

Just got our tests in the mail this week, but don't need to use them until next Friday.  I have downloaded the Navica app, but do I need to set up an appt time for Friday or just wait until then & log in?  App has a place to scan the code on the box, but I'm not ready to use it yet, so not sure whether to do that or wait...  

1 hour ago, ArkansasTraveler2 said:

Just got our tests in the mail this week, but don't need to use them until next Friday.  I have downloaded the Navica app, but do I need to set up an appt time for Friday or just wait until then & log in?  App has a place to scan the code on the box, but I'm not ready to use it yet, so not sure whether to do that or wait...  

Just wait until then and log in through the emed.com site.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:28 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

There are several walk thrus on You Tube

I watch La Lido Loca on You Tube every day, sometimes more than once a day, (that is Tony Barnett pictured above who shares the posts with his wife Jenny), and they have over 153,000 subscribers. There are seven others I watch daily as well. Tony's walk through of the Covid test is very good.

16 hours ago, VacationCharlene said:

For those that have just purchased the BinaxNow etc for the PCR test.  What is the CURRENT expiration date please.  Thanks

The home proctored self tests are antigen, not PCR. The ones I purchased from E-Med in early January have expirations listed of November 2022 (I think the 21st...going from memory). They may actually have been extended to sometime in 2023.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:26 PM, WFBgal said:

We are taking the Abbot BinaxNow Antigen test on Monday & have read instructions online. Is it easy to do without messing up results? I tend to stress about stuff never done before. If one of us messes up the results, will HAL give us the test at the port prior to boarding? Thank you for any advice…someone please calm my nerves.

Go to YouTube and look for videos. I watched a guy do his, just prior to doing mine. It’s quite easy, but have good light, scissors, and your ID with you as you start. Don’t open anything until directed. Be sure your ipad/laptop is sweet so it won’t go to sleep during the 15 minute wait, as they are monitoring your stuff. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, VacationCharlene said:

For those that have just purchased the BinaxNow etc for the PCR test.  What is the CURRENT expiration date please.  Thanks

The ones I received last week expire on 1/02/23 although the FDA has authorized a 3 month extension past the expiration date prevously.

Note that this is an antigen, not a PCR test.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all of the help and tips.  We tested Negative and other than understanding the accents of the people and telling them to slow down they were pretty easy to do.  Had our Negative results to print within 10-15 min.

I can finish packing now, boarding Sunday.

Carolyn

Update on Our Proctored Antigen Test Last Monday

Test was fine….however, our experience in FLL NOT good! Person I showed my results to had never seen anything like it & she called supervisor. We had to repeat the antigen test. Why put it out on the HAL site & employees didn’t allow it? Our test was free but they had pages & pages of passengers with appointments to be tested at the port! They had to pay $100 each. Why not test us at the port in the future? In the meantime, we have 2 more Abbott Binax Now tests we’re  not sure will work in Boston when we board the VOV!