Which is it ?

pistnbroke

News outlets state the Antigen test must be taken within 24 hours of flight departure or border arrival.

The official health Canada notice states “day before” .as does Westjet.

Hoping that it means “no earlier” than the day before.

Wonder when there will be some clarity on this

The Minster clearly stated 24 hours during the press conference. Moreover, the entry requirements with respect to molecular testing have always been stated in hours, not days. Once the official regulations are posted within the next week or so, you will undoubtedly see it as 24 hours.

I'm hoping there is a chance this stays at 1 day.  That would tie in to what the US is doing and would relieve some of of the issues that the 72 hours timeline caused.  It is much harder for people to check the hours and if there are time differences, etc.  Also, I would suggest a couple extra hours when you are looking at only a 1 day testing deadline, shouldn't be as big a deal as if you are letting people get the test up to 72 hours ahead.  It is possible the minister is so used to talking in hours that he just said 24 hours out of habit, but I guess we will see.

Also, I'm guessing it means not earlier than 1 day prior.  I don't think it makes sense that they would not allow a test on the morning of a flight.

I'm hoping for the 1 day versus 24 hours, as a test getting off the ship Friday morning would still be good for my flight home on Saturday!!

Edit: I don't think we will know the answer for sure until the official wording is released (on Feb 28?), unless the modify the news release wording on the website.

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

News outlets state the Antigen test must be taken within 24 hours of flight departure or border arrival.

The official health Canada notice states “day before” .as does Westjet.

Hoping that it means “no earlier” than the day before.

Wonder when there will be some clarity on this

If it’s reciprocal with the US it would read that the flight departure would be the time of the last flight on the itinerary that will end in Canada. As for border arrival it would be taken within 24 hours of the anticipated arrival at land border. Give it a few more days. It will be coordinated better. I hope. 

29 minutes ago, disneygal77 said:

Air Canada clearly says anytime the day before your flight if travelling Canada to USA 

Yes, but that is not the direction we are talking about. The Canadian government announcement is about travel TO Canada. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:42 AM, AlbertaCruisers said:

I'm hoping for the 1 day versus 24 hours, as a test getting off the ship Friday morning would still be good for my flight home on Saturday!!

Edit: I don't think we will know the answer for sure until the official wording is released (on Feb 28?), unless the modify the news release wording on the website.

Me too. We intended to be tested at disembarkation (provided by Princess) but don't fly home until the next afternoon. This wording is going to be very important. Ironically, when I originally booked our flights I chose to give us an extra day at the end just in case there were any testing hiccups. Now it's the new rules making it more difficult. Can't change flights again, Westjet only allows one free flight change and I used it when we rebooked this cruise from Jan. Uggg!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sueandkent said:

Me too. We intended to be tested at disembarkation (provided by Princess) but don't fly home until the next afternoon. This wording is going to be very important. Ironically, when I originally booked our flights I chose to give us an extra day at the end just in case there were any testing hiccups. Now it's the new rules making it more difficult. Can't change flights again, Westjet only allows one free flight change and I used it when we rebooked this cruise from Jan. Uggg!

That is exactly my situation also.

The only other option is to request a PCR for the 72 hour value or use the Switch Health home proctored test at the hotel within the 24 hour window.

Nowever , the PCR , being more sensitive , could pick up on an undiagnosed previous infection.

What more can a traveller do after reading the Government, AirCanada & Westjet directives than to except them at face value , despite what some may have heard  at a press conference .

1 hour ago, pistnbroke said:

What more can a traveller do after reading the Government, AirCanada & Westjet directives than to except them at face value , despite what some may have heard  at a press conference

Wait until the web pages are updated to reflect details of the announced changes.

• Like 4