Booster for Covid-19 Vaccination has to be within the last 9 months or 6 months of sailing date!!!???

lasnev

Booked a Northern European cruise for this summer. We were one of the first to get the booster shot when it become available.

Now we found out that it was too soon as it won't be within the 9 month frame required from sailing date.

Anyone with any further information/clarification about this?

Thanks!!!

10 hours ago, lasnev said:

Booked a Northern European cruise for this summer. We were one of the first to get the booster shot when it become available.

Now we found out that it was too soon as it won't be within the 9 month frame required from sailing date.

Thanks!!!

So do they expect you to get a booster booster shot?

You have the max at the moment.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Following

IS this per nation/port stop or MSC?

Just checked the German website and it says this too "fully vaccinated/boostered within the last 9 months". In Europe (EU) the second shot does expire now after 9 months (270 days). But there´s no expiration date for the third shot aka booster so far. In my hometown they just started with the fourth shot for 70+, all people living in nursing homes or similar and for some medical conditions. This group is advised to get the fourth shot 3 month after the third one. Medical worker can get the fourth one too but 6 months after the third one.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Just checked the German website and it says this too "fully vaccinated/boostered within the last 9 months". In Europe (EU) the second shot does expire now after 9 months (270 days). But there´s no expiration date for the third shot aka booster so far. In my hometown they just started with the fourth shot for 70+, all people living in nursing homes or similar and for some medical conditions. This group is advised to get the fourth shot 3 month after the third one. Medical worker can get the fourth one too but 6 months after the third one.

steamboats

Interesting because there isn't clear data to support "expiration" of these "vax" and in fact there IS scientific data showing that despite 3rd and 4th dosing--there is no benefit AND there is greater risk of other effects ... 

So this is  German gov thing requiring folks sailing out of Germany to have this....??

I would take the meaning to be that folks must have complete vax (as per manufacturer--) for us in US its Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Mdrna ...JnJ is 1 does, the other s are 2 for REGULAR vax) The booster is more so controversial based on age/co-morbidities etc   So folks with the booster requirement (per their MD) would need it but not all people

Maybe try sailing from Southampton instead

Or push off the sailing a year...

Please keep us advised here. We are following

Edited by Fogfog

16 hours ago, Fogfog said:

So this is  German gov thing requiring folks sailing out of Germany to have this....??

I would take the meaning to be that folks must have complete vax (as per manufacturer--) for us in US its Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Mdrna ...JnJ is 1 does, the other s are 2 for REGULAR vax) The booster is more so controversial based on age/co-morbidities etc   So folks with the booster requirement (per their MD) would need it but not all people

I´m just referring to the legal side... I won´t discuss sience...

There is no German requirement for having the booster... But if your complete vaccination cycle is older than 270 days you are not regarded as fully vaccinated anymore. So your second shot expires after 270 days (it´s more complicated with J&J). This is not a German thing but this is the recommendation of the EU and all countries did follow. Some countries did even set the expiration period to 180 days (6 months). There´s no EU recommendation for the second booster/fourth shot yet but just a German one.  France does require the booster shot for everyone over 18y. So if you don´t have the booster you can´t get off the ship in a French port.

I can make it even more complicated... As a boostered EU citizen I can travel to Italy. As US you can travel to Italy without a booster. As a German I have to be boostered within 270 days. But Italy requires the booster withn 180 days. So I can travel to Italy without being boostered in case my second shot is not older than 270 days. But once in Italy I´m not regarded fully vaccinated if my second shot is older than 180 (even when it´s still not older than 270 days). Any questions? 🤣

Sorry, that traveling is getting more and more complicated...

Anyway for that wording on the MSC website saying that your booster does not have to be older than 9 months there is no legal requirement in Europe.

steamboats

• Like 3

I'm in the same position, no idea if I'll be allowed to embark in Southampton on 30th July as my booster will be more than 270 days. Tried talking to MSC explaining that it is insane to have vaccination policies that prevent me leaving from the UK and sailing to Barcelona, but if I fly to Barcelona and get on a Med cruise from there then that's ok! Cruise agent agrees it's madness but has no idea if this is poor wording on the website or actual policy. Really don't want to disappoint my kids with a cancelled holiday for the 3rd year 😪 

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

I´m just referring to the legal side... I won´t discuss sience...

There is no German requirement for having the booster... But if your complete vaccination cycle is older than 270 days you are not regarded as fully vaccinated anymore. So your second shot expires after 270 days (it´s more complicated with J&J). This is not a German thing but this is the recommendation of the EU and all countries did follow. Some countries did even set the expiration period to 180 days (6 months). There´s no EU recommendation for the second booster/fourth shot yet but just a German one.  France does require the booster shot for everyone over 18y. So if you don´t have the booster you can´t get off the ship in a French port.

I can make it even more complicated... As a boostered EU citizen I can travel to Italy. As US you can travel to Italy without a booster. As a German I have to be boostered within 270 days. But Italy requires the booster withn 180 days. So I can travel to Italy without being boostered in case my second shot is not older than 270 days. But once in Italy I´m not regarded fully vaccinated if my second shot is older than 180 (even when it´s still not older than 270 days). Any questions? 🤣

Sorry, that traveling is getting more and more complicated...

Anyway for that wording on the MSC website saying that your booster does not have to be older than 9 months there is no legal requirement in Europe.

steamboats

None of that really makes sense does it?

Who says you aren't jabbed anymore "after 9 mos"?  Germany?  

Again, the "where are your papers" leans into WW2 don't cha think? 

And here comes Nord Stream2....

Legally?

Scientifically?   

It doesn't make sense. 

IF some countries are dropping jabbing mandates (and they are/will-- it's already unfolding and will expedite after March 1)   

--- will COMPANIES  like MSC, AIDA, Royal, Celebrity, continue to require it?

AND IF companies do--will THAT be Legal?

Could a company then decide to require pax to provide proof of being neg for HIV and using "PREP" for example? Hep B? TB? 

Not just a cruise company-- yet also  a bar? Restaurant?  So that cruise passengers can't go anywhere in the ports?

Already with vax "passports" we are dividing people into "acceptable vs unacceptable". 

We just had a lovely french family sailing with us for several weeks in the carribean,

and some germans as well...

and lots of canadians

out of a US Port...and children are not vax'd

Cruising out of the US in the Caribbean, Mexico etc is back

--so europeans who want that warm weather can still get it and the $ will flow back into those countries desperately needing it. And cruise pax will breath lovely sea air in the carribean

Mandates are dropping worldwide and people will vote with their $ elsewhere...

We do want to travel in a free Europe again some day --- yet can wait til the nonsense is over changing what is vaxd from border to border (ironic in the EU isn't it),  if traveling "papers" are required etc.  

I'm Old enough to know what "show me your papers means". Have traveled and lived in free Europe even back when my passport was needed on trains at the borders

Hope the OP is able to get some clarity on what it means to sail from northern EU and IF they can get on/off ship at ports.

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 1

@Fogfog I never said that I won´t get jabbed another time... It´s an EU regulation that you´re not fully vaccinated anymore when your last shot is older than 270 days (and not just a German regulation). There´s just no EU wide regulation about a fourth jab right now. That´s just Germany which says a certain group of people should get a fourth shot. But it´s not a mandate just a recommendation. Therefore the booster has no expiry date (and that´s the same EU wide).

And no cruise company is skipping the vaccination mandate on March 1st. They are skipping the mask mandate. The new CDC regulations do more or less require the vaccination.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

@Fogfog I never said that I won´t get jabbed another time... It´s an EU regulation that you´re not fully vaccinated anymore when your last shot is older than 270 days (and not just a German regulation). There´s just no EU wide regulation about a fourth jab right now. That´s just Germany which says a certain group of people should get a fourth shot. But it´s not a mandate just a recommendation. Therefore the booster has no expiry date (and that´s the same EU wide).

And no cruise company is skipping the vaccination mandate on March 1st. They are skipping the mask mandate. The new CDC regulations do more or less require the vaccination.

steamboats

The EU is a trading block

HOW can the EU pass regulations on citizens of various nations?

Will be interested to hear what the OP learns re cruising-- the language seems ambiguous 

Plenty of places to cruise not connected to EU

On 2/17/2022 at 8:52 PM, lasnev said:

Thanks!!!

Who is requiring this it’s the first I’m hearing about it?

37 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Who is requiring this it’s the first I’m hearing about it?

MSC cruises on their website. Specifically "Health & Safety" section, TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & PROTOCOLS BY DESTINATION.

Northern Europe booster within 9 months.

Mediterranean booster within 6 months.

I am sure it went unnoticed by many, including me at first, just wanted to put it out there for clarification.

Hoping for requirements to change, or 2nd booster approved. 

We just want to go!!! Hoping to find out before final payment is due in a couple of months.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lasnev said:

MSC cruises on their website. Specifically "Health & Safety" section, TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & PROTOCOLS BY DESTINATION.

I am sure it went unnoticed by many, including me at first, just wanted to put it out there for clarification.

We just want to go!!! Hoping to find out before final payment is due in a couple of months.

I’m so glad you posted this because I hadn’t noticed it. Thank you! 

We had our booster on 10/25/21 so according to this we wouldn’t be eligible to travel to the Mediterranean after 04/25/22.
Wow that’s very interesting as we haven’t heard anything about having to have a second booster. 

I wonder if this applies to land travel to the Mediterranean. Definitely have to do some further digging around to find out. 

Thanks again!

12 hours ago, Fogfog said:

The EU is a trading block

HOW can the EU pass regulations on citizens of various nations?

Nope, EU is not just about trading or a toll community. EU can make regulations for all EU countries which are valid immediately and others which have to be transferred into local law. In the case of the vaccination it was just a recommendation but all countries followed. The recommendation was made as every EU country had different regulations regarding the vaccinations which made traveling more complicated. So this was meant to make it easier.

steamboats

8 hours ago, lasnev said:

The 6 months is for Italian citizens only (at least that´s the wording on the German MSC website). And for the Med cruises there´s a different wording used on the German website: You have to be fully vaccinated meaning two shots (or one J&J) within the last 9 months. There the wording is correct that you need a booster 9 months after the second shot (or 6 months when you are an Italian citizen).

steamboats

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

The 6 months is for Italian citizens only (at least that´s the wording on the German MSC website). And for the Med cruises there´s a different wording used on the German website: You have to be fully vaccinated meaning two shots (or one J&J) within the last 9 months. There the wording is correct that you need a booster 9 months after the second shot (or 6 months when you are an Italian citizen).

steamboats

From the German website at least for the north European cruises: "dass innerhalb der letzten 9 Monate eine vollständige Impfung/ Booster-Impfung stattgefunden hat" which means: "that a full vaccination/ booster vaccination has taken place within the last 9 months.

The German website also says:  The vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of the entire cruise", so if you are fully vaccinated and that was enough, your vaccination certificate would not expire. This means that you have to be within the 9 months until completion of the cruise.

For the Mediterranean cruises it is also 9 months on the German website except for Italians it is within 6 months.

Hopefully they will clarify the rules soon.

• Like 1

I called MSC last week and was told for my Bahamas cruise I did NOT have to have a booster. I am just short of the 5 months minimum time to wait before the booster. I went to Walgreens last week and they turned me away. I plan on getting the booster on the 23rd, then sailing on the 3rd of March. So, probably another stressful time at the pier.

I've been somewhat following this thread, and just wanted to note that in my cruise ticket package for a sailing on Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral, February 27, 2022, the health questionnaire does ask if you have received a COVID-19 vaccine within the last 6 months, even if you only got the first dose.

This is an especially interesting placement for the question on the form - every question above this one, presumably the correct answer to board the ship is "No". 

1290486774_Screenshot2022-02-21163327.thumb.png.b09387cdedff6fc511a6b7354d358906.png

In my case, I received a (third, booster) dose in late December 2021, so I'll be answering "Yes" to the question as it's written, and hopefully there are no issues at the port.

I'm wondering whether this is a generic international form for the scenarios described above  - because everything else written from MSC at the moment only requires two mRNA doses or one J&J dose. 

4 hours ago, ev98 said:

I've been somewhat following this thread, and just wanted to note that in my cruise ticket package for a sailing on Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral, February 27, 2022, the health questionnaire does ask if you have received a COVID-19 vaccine within the last 6 months, even if you only got the first dose.

This is an especially interesting placement for the question on the form - every question above this one, presumably the correct answer to board the ship is "No". 

1290486774_Screenshot2022-02-21163327.thumb.png.b09387cdedff6fc511a6b7354d358906.png

In my case, I received a (third, booster) dose in late December 2021, so I'll be answering "Yes" to the question as it's written, and hopefully there are no issues at the port.

I'm wondering whether this is a generic international form for the scenarios described above  - because everything else written from MSC at the moment only requires two mRNA doses or one J&J dose. 

That question is not on our form.  

So what does this mean for everybody?  I just plain can't cruise with MSC? Will they refund my money?  It isn't like I have a choice at this point.  There aren't any more boosters on offer here.  It isn't like I am unvaccinated and can just go and get a vaccine!  I have gotten all I can get.  I actually have 4 total doses.  Does MSC have any recommendations for how to obtain a 5th dose or a 3rd booster?  Are there any exceptions made if you have a 2nd booster you don't need to be within the timeframe? I would actually love to get another booster because the data does show the vaccine is much less effective after 6 months.  Would MSC offer any vaccination clinics in major US cities for people to get vaccinated outside of the typical US recommendations?  Do they have any advice as far as getting a booster within their timeframe?  I had been hoping there would be an omicron specific booster coming out before my cruise but that is looking less and less likely.  Originally we heard March but now in the news yesterday I saw it would be delayed.  I can't believe MSC allows unvaccinated kids under age 12 when a vaccine is available but they are restricting adults who have had 4 doses of the vaccine!

Does anybody have any advice?