Change to Exemptions for children under 5!!

Wanna_Cruize

Big news for families with young children, there has been a change to the Exemption process starting March 1st.

Unvaccinated Guests — Exemptions to Vaccination Standards

IMPORTANT NOTE: Children under five are not required to apply for a vaccine exemption effective with sailings as of March 1.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It makes sense, Pfizer has reportedly given up trying to get their vaccine approved for under 5's.

Today is a giant step toward normalcy. Thank God!

That's what I was thinking prompted the change. I've heard (unconfirmed) reports that the use studies have been having issues with finding the right dosage, so that might be part of why they have stopped trying to get approval. It makes sense, the dosage for a 6-month old would necessarily be much lower than a 5-year old. 

1 hour ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

That's what I was thinking prompted the change. I've heard (unconfirmed) reports that the use studies have been having issues with finding the right dosage, so that might be part of why they have stopped trying to get approval. It makes sense, the dosage for a 6-month old would necessarily be much lower than a 5-year old. 

I have heard similar. Also something about under 5 dose would require at least 3 shots for it to be effective. 

Thats awesome. We actually had to cancel our cruise last week for the 5th time because myself, my wife and my 3 year old all tested positive. We rescheduled for Sept so not having to do the 3 tests on our little one is going to be a huge burden off our shoulders.

1 hour ago, matymil said:

Thats awesome. We actually had to cancel our cruise last week for the 5th time because myself, my wife and my 3 year old all tested positive. We rescheduled for Sept so not having to do the 3 tests on our little one is going to be a huge burden off our shoulders.

I'm not actually sure about there being a change in the testing for unvaccinated kids under 5, just that they aren't required to apply for and receive an exemption. In fact, that age group is being excluded from the exemption count towards that 5% limit. 

• Like 2

Ok, so what I’m not clear on… I know they’re still doing vaccine exemptions for those who cannot get it. But are the under 5y old crowd grouped into the same group? Are they still requiring you to get a test 2 days prior to the cruise AND at the port AND before debarking like they did before or is that now only for those who got the exemption? 

I'm just hoping they change the bubble tour thing. We already canceled 2 cruises due to this, we like to get off the ship and either walk to nearest beach (or beach at port) or take a guided tour and unfortunately this is not offered on our sailing. We shall see what happens, I sail in Sept. So things may change again.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 1:11 AM, Wanna_Cruize said:

I'm not actually sure about there being a change in the testing for unvaccinated kids under 5, just that they aren't required to apply for and receive an exemption. In fact, that age group is being excluded from the exemption count towards that 5% limit. 

Yeah i know what you mean. Its looking like by the time we sail, our son will be able to be vaccinated anyway so hopefully it wont even matter.

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Just a fyi. I noticed on the rcl detail kids still have to wear masks in the kids programs. I'm a big booooo. Even if vaccinated kids have to wear masks. Thank you Cdc.

Better check this on carnival so you arent surprised.

RCL allows unvaccinated kids into the kids clubs. Carnival does not.  Carnival actually is not even opening the club for the younger age group.