DV6 Cabin Location

PGNOW

We were on the Sky for the transatlantic crossing in March 2020.  It was our first cruise.  We made it half way across the Atlantic before turning around---beginners luck.  We had booked a guaranteed cabin and since that cruise left half empty we received an upgrade to cabin 5006, which was a little bumpy, but otherwise fine.  We just booked the same cruise for 2023 and chose cabin 3047.  After reading comments about being above Torshavn we wanted to get the thoughts of more experienced people regarding location.  Any comments and suggestions for a good DV6 location would be greatly appreciated.  We are very mobile, so that is not a consideration.  Thanks for the assist.  Hopefully this time we'll get to complete the cruise.

26 minutes ago, PGNOW said:

We were on the Sky for the transatlantic crossing in March 2020.  It was our first cruise.  We made it half way across the Atlantic before turning around---beginners luck.  We had booked a guaranteed cabin and since that cruise left half empty we received an upgrade to cabin 5006, which was a little bumpy, but otherwise fine.  We just booked the same cruise for 2023 and chose cabin 3047.  After reading comments about being above Torshavn we wanted to get the thoughts of more experienced people regarding location.  Any comments and suggestions for a good DV6 location would be greatly appreciated.  We are very mobile, so that is not a consideration.  Thanks for the assist.  Hopefully this time we'll get to complete the cruise.

When I did research on these cabins, 3055 and 3053 were indicated as being the cabins to avoid.  3047 seems to be a bit close to those two, so I'm not sure if it would be noisy or not.  I prefer being a bit aft, so I would choose cabins 3060 - 3072 (port) or 3061 - 3073 (starboard).  Avoid 3058 or 3059 since they're both next to a public restroom.

We almost always book a DV6 on deck 3. Once or twice they have “upgraded” us to a DV on deck 5. Frankly I much prefer Deck3 near the forward stairs/elevators, or closer to midship by the atrium. We have never had any issue with noise from below, even when directly over Torshavn. On our first cruise I was afraid being right across from the elevators would be noisy as people would chat….but never heard anything there either. 

• Like 2

Cabin 3047 should be no problem.  A couple cabins aft would put you over Torshaven but 3047 is more over the shops.  We like more forward near the lifts.  Once we were right at the lifts but did not find it noisy, however, my DH did not like it because people waiting can peer into your room when you open the door so we book slightly forward or aft now.  If you found 5066 only " a little bumpy" on that aborted TA, you should not find any cabin uncomfortable with ship's movement.  The swell and seas for that trip between San Juan and St. Martin were record breaking for that time of year.  As I recall the Phillipsburg cruise port had to close to ships.

@JeriGailI never noticed there were rest rooms on Deck 3 Atrium but there they are on the Deck plan.  Guess that's a lounge area at which we never spent time.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  @JeriGail, yes I was being generous regarding my comment about it being a little bumpy, though I didn't realize the swells were record breaking.  I expect the pool of water that accumulated on our balcony should have been a clue.  At one point we were thinking if the Caribbean is this rough what will the Atlantic be like.  We found ourselves wondering if we had  made a huge mistake taking a cruise, but once in the Atlantic all was good.  It certainly made for good stories once we got home.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I never noticed there were rest rooms on Deck 3 Atrium but there they are on the Deck plan.  Guess that's a lounge area at which we never spent time.

It seems that all decks with public seating have restrooms.  I used the deck 3 ladies' room when our cabin bathroom was "in use" and once when our toilet wasn't flushing!  😄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

It seems that all decks with public seating have restrooms.  I used the deck 3 ladies' room when our cabin bathroom was "in use" and once when our toilet wasn't flushing!  😄

Yep; in the aft port corner if I remember correctly.

On 2/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, mhb1757 said:

We almost always book a DV6 on deck 3. Once or twice they have “upgraded” us to a DV on deck 5. Frankly I much prefer Deck3 near the forward stairs/elevators, or closer to midship by the atrium. We have never had any issue with noise from below, even when directly over Torshavn. On our first cruise I was afraid being right across from the elevators would be noisy as people would chat….but never heard anything there either. 

I also prefer Deck 3.  For my last cruise, we had a DV4 on Deck 4.  I had a V1 on Deck 3 on our first two Viking Ocean.  To my surprise, I actually like Deck 3 more.  Deck 3 feels more airy because of the Atrium.  I also like being near forward closer to the spa.  For my next one, I book 3038.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:08 PM, Moonlion said:

We were in 3039 and would chose again.  It was quiet and very convenient to the forward stairs/elevator and the Star Theater on deck 2. 

Is 3039 right by the stair/elevator waiting area or slightly away? I really can't tell from the Deck plan.  

We think deck 3 has great location too...either forward OR aft of the atrium! Easier to get there quickly when you realize you forgot something for today's excursion that meets in the Star theater!

Edited by deec
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Is 3039 right by the stair/elevator waiting area or slightly away? I really can't tell from the Deck plan.  

Maybe 5 feet aft of the elevator.  3039 and the stairs nearby are also very convenient to the spa.  Nice when you're in your robe (with bathing suit underneath) going up/down stairs to the spa.   

• 11 months later...

We always book deck 3 and mid-ship and have been on both port and starboard.  We have never had any noise issues with any of these cabins.  The only time we did have an issue was when we were deck 3 forward and I think in 3025 we were in the cabin early and heard the Star Theatre music in the background.

I think that some folks are much more noise sensitive than others but from our experience of 7 different cabins on deck 3 - go for it - we can analyze too much sometimes.

6 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

We booked 3057 but some people say it’s noisy. We go to bed early so thinking of shifting to over the restaurant. Like 3060 or around that.  Is that as noisy?? Thanks much. 

We had 3060 on Viking Venus back in 2021. No problems with noise and easy access to the Atrium and guest facilities. Also easy to get to the main dining room and specialty restaurants. Would certainly recommend that location - low down and effectively as close to midships as you can get on Deck 3

I like aft above the dining room, except for the  cabin closest to the elevator, which abuts a noisy equipment space and the public restrooms.  There is no noise coming from the dining room below.  

I tried multiple DV4 locations on Deck 4 but decided to go back to DV6.  DV4 can get unpredictable noise from the tenders.  

The downside to Deck 3 cabins is ramps up to the cabin area, which maybe an issue  for those with mobility issues.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! We ended up deciding on a different cruise so have a different room choice. I love that people give information about specific rooms. On this past cruise we were in 4062 Viking Sky. I really like being midship because of intermittent seasickness. I wonder if anyone with that affliction has traveled far forward or aft. Just curious if it was bad and if Dramamine helped. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

I really like being midship because of intermittent seasickness. I wonder if anyone with that affliction has traveled far forward or aft. Just curious if it was bad and if Dramamine helped. Thanks.

We always travel forward because we enjoy the Explorers Lounge.

I have had terrible motion sickness all of my life. For that reason we put off cruising for many years.  Then I gave Meclizine a try. I start taking it 2 days before we travel and it really works for me and we’ve cruised in some fairly rough seas.

Next month we are cruising transAtlantic with Viking and that’s something I never thought I’d do. I take along sea bands, but have never used them. I also take eucalyptus oil with me to dab behind my ears, which I’ve used seldomly.

In regards to aft suites, we haven’t cruised in one yet, but have one booked for 2025 Auckland to Bangkok. I’m looking forward to trying that out too. 

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

• Like 1

We were in an aft Deck 4, DV1 cabin on our last cruise and had rough seas with gale force winds. I am prone to seasickness and while others aboard were sick, I was fine after taking BONINE. I also replace the tonic water with ginger ale in our refrigerator. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Totally agree. I am a BIG fan on Bonine. Always take with us along with ginger. Also saltines and green apples help. But Bonine if you get in front of it works really well for me. 

Bonnie = Meclizine (I find the Rugby brand better for some reason)

Saltines 👍

• Like 1