New "Up to Date" Vaccinated Guests Testing Timeline

Colorado Cruzer

This is what is posted on the Carnival site as of now and I'm confused about the 2/18 update.  I thought before we were able to get the stupid test on Thursday for a Saturday cruise to be within the two day guideline. This states the same day, thursday is the earliest you can test. I would rather test before we leave for Long Beach on Wednesday for a Saturday cruise. Does anyone know about this yet? I'm hoping the copy is for the old guidelines of 2 days? We leave on March 12th and have appointments at the Long Beach airport for our testing as of now.  We plan to take the self test at home on Wednesday night to be sure we are negative if we still have to wait until Thursday when we arrive in Long Beach for the real test.

Thanks!

Are fully vaccinated guests required to take a pre-travel COVID-19 test?

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. Effective March 1, 2022, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. On certain sailings, guests should be prepared for the possibility of an additional COVID test prior to boarding, which will be provided in the terminal on a complimentary basis.

If you're boosted you can test within 3 days.  If you're fully vaccinated, you can test 2 days out. Unvaccinated with exemption is still 3 days out with PCR. Don't know know how this affects kids under 5 that don't need an exemption now.

From Carnival's website:
Effective March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

From the CDC's website:

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.

Fully vaccinated means a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.

Everyone is considered up to date until the time they are eligible for a booster – which is 5 months after the second dose in a two-shot series, (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines), or two months after the J&J/Janssen vaccine. After this time period, a booster shot is recommended and a person is no longer up to date on their recommended COVID vaccination.  In order to be up to date, a person would need to get a booster shot to be considered up to date.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Up to date means boosted if eligible. 

I too don’t understand all the confusion and multiple posts about this simple change.

I remember some months ago when it was testing three days before your cruise.  People were wondering was it three days or 72 hours?  Then it changed to two days.  Now it is back to three days.  I think the OP's confusion comes from the poor wording on the Carnival web site under the have fun be safe protocols.

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests, ages 2 and older, to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective March 1, guests who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. On certain sailings, guests should be prepared for the possibility of an additional COVID test prior to boarding, which will be provided in the terminal on a complimentary basis.

Maybe the note about the March 1 change to three days should come AFTER the sailing on Saturday section.  As it stands now, the explanation of what day you can test follows the three day paragraph and makes it appear to be clarifying the three day paragraph.  It should say something like "effective March 1 you can test three days prior.  If sailing Saturday, the test can be taken as early as Wednesday."  

I knew what the policy meant and STILL was confused by the wording Carnival used, so I sympathize with Colorado Cruzer.

• Like 1