Venice

BEEZLEE

Upcoming cruise on Riviera at end of Aug/22 with Venice still showing on Oceania itinerary ? Thought all cruise ships have been banned and must go to another port (Trieste ? or Ravenna ?)…is that correct and if so suggest Oceania amend their website itinerary to be clear for those wishing to visit Venice. Thoughts ?

Quite a few cruise ships are scheduled to use the Marghera industrial port this year.  It's on the mainland side of the Venice lagoon.  I think a few ships used it last fall as well.  Some ships have definitely moved to Ravenna or Trieste, but those are usually indicated on the schedule.

It seems Venice is still possible, just that you will not be docked at Marittima/San Basilio terminals in the islands themselves.

From what I have read elsewhere, Venice is still a port of call right now and you will check in at one of the above terminals, but you will then be bussed out to Marghera industrial port (about a 20-30 bus ride) and physically board the ship there, not in Venice.  That's a bit of a hassle, but it is arguably still Venice port.

Not sure how it works if Venice is the disembarkation port though, i.e., if you're not staying post-cruise in Venice, can you leave directly from Marghera and go to Marco Polo etc., or if you have to deal with the hassle of riding to Marittima/San Basilio just to immediately head back across the bridge.

There's more discussion of this one page earlier entitled "Embarkation in Venice".  JazzBeau provided some great detailed info about this.

BTW I absolutely hate the recent changes to CC.  Suppose it happened with the TA acquisition, but it makes it more difficult to reference or find responses (among other user-unfriendly changes)

9 hours ago, su-arizona said:

There's more discussion of this one page earlier entitled "Embarkation in Venice".  JazzBeau provided some great detailed info about this.

BTW I absolutely hate the recent changes to CC.  Suppose it happened with the TA acquisition, but it makes it more difficult to reference or find responses (among other user-unfriendly changes)

Agree!

Just received notification from Oceania that our Riviera voyage departing Barcelona on 25 June will terminate in Trieste rather than Venice on 6/7 July. 

Message from Oceania below:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to advise you of an important update to your upcoming cruise itinerary aboard Riviera.

Due to the on-going governmental prohibition of cruise ships within Venice, please note your overnight and disembarkation in Venice, Italy has been replaced with Trieste, Italy.

The revised portion of the itinerary is included below for your reference:

DATE

DAY

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

6-Jul-22

WED

TRIESTE, ITALY

6:00 AM

--

7-Jul-22

THU

TRIESTE, ITALY

Disembark

--

For your convenience, complimentary transfers between your disembarkation port and departure airport will be provided. Any purchased shore excursions for Venice will automatically be cancelled and refunded.

For guests who have made independent air arrangements, Oceania Cruises will reimburse up to $300 per guest for airline change fees or fare differentials incurred, with accompanying airline-issued receipts. Airline-issued receipts should be emailed to: GuestRelationsOCI@OceaniaCruises.com.

If you wish to cancel your voyage, penalties will be waived and any payments made to date will be refunded with the original form of payment. Ancillary items eligible for refund include Oceania Cruises’ travel protection, transfers, shore excursions, hotel/land packages, air add-ons and fees, visas, pre-purchased beverage packages and culinary experiences. Payments made in the form of Future Cruise Credit will be reissued with your original book-by and sail-by dates. We kindly request that you inform us no later than end of business on Friday, March 11, 2022, if you wish to cancel.

We look forward to providing you with a memorable cruise experience.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

25 minutes ago, Beagle5 said:

Just received notification from Oceania that our Riviera voyage departing Barcelona on 25 June will terminate in Trieste rather than Venice on 6/7 July. 

Message from Oceania below:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to advise you of an important update to your upcoming cruise itinerary aboard Riviera.

Due to the on-going governmental prohibition of cruise ships within Venice, please note your overnight and disembarkation in Venice, Italy has been replaced with Trieste, Italy.

The revised portion of the itinerary is included below for your reference:

DATE

DAY

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

6-Jul-22

WED

TRIESTE, ITALY

6:00 AM

--

7-Jul-22

THU

TRIESTE, ITALY

Disembark

--

For your convenience, complimentary transfers between your disembarkation port and departure airport will be provided. Any purchased shore excursions for Venice will automatically be cancelled and refunded.

That's interesting. 

I looked up the itinerary for this cruise and the port before is Koper, Slovenia, which is about a 30 minute drive away from Trieste... Will O still leave Koper at the same time or perhaps stay later?

Our cruise on Sirena is scheduled to overnight in Venice April 24 into April 25, 2022.  So far we are still hearing Venice from Oceania and the ship is showing in Venice Marghera on cruisemapper for those dates.  I'm hoping that this notice for a cruise sailing in July 22 may mean that our cruise in April 22 will still go to Venice (Marghera) as shown on our itinerary.  We would have heard by now?

Definitely interesting.  It could be Riviera is too large for Fusina and would have had to use the container terminal and they decided to go with Trieste instead.  Or maybe dock space was at a premium and the extra day in port was the issue.

I have an Azamara cruise in May that is currently listed as Venice(Marghera), so I'm watching to see how things work with various ships.  I wouldn't really have a problem with Trieste, but it's nice to know well in advance (and also whether they are providing shuttles).  Fortunately there is a decent train service and the Trieste station seems quite close to the cruise terminal.  

35 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I looked up the itinerary for this cruise and the port before is Koper, Slovenia, which is about a 30 minute drive away from Trieste... Will O still leave Koper at the same time or perhaps stay later?

Could easily be other changes.

The day before Koper we are scheduled for Kotor, Montenegro.

But ( as I read it) currently entry to Italy is banned for non citizens who have been in Montenegro in the previous 14 days.  So either that has to change by June, or the itinerary has to change.

Oceania has quite a few cruises scheduled to stop in Kotor prior to arriving in Italy this season, so it may effect quite a few cruises. 

Our May 7th Venice to Rome cruise was just changed a couple days ago. We are now embarking in Ravenna, about 2 hours south     I guess Oceania is slowly rolling out the changes , depending on what port they choose, Trieste, Ravenna or wherever. 

4 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

Our May 7th Venice to Rome cruise was just changed a couple days ago. We are now embarking in Ravenna, about 2 hours south     I guess Oceania is slowly rolling out the changes , depending on what port they choose, Trieste, Ravenna or wherever. 

Ravenna has some of the most gorgeous Byzantine mosaics (from the fifth and sixth centuries) you ever will find in one easily walkable city. Enjoy your visit!

Marina 14 May 2022 changed from Venice to Trieste.

Called Oceania and asked about shuttle service day before from Venice airport to Trieste.  Response was no decision yet but we only offer shuttles on the day of sailing.  Pretty lousy customer service.  As usual

2 minutes ago, TexasWolfpack said:

Marina 14 May 2022 changed from Venice to Trieste.

Called Oceania and asked about shuttle service day before from Venice airport to Trieste.  Response was no decision yet but we only offer shuttles on the day of sailing.  Pretty lousy customer service.  As usual

I don't think that is any different than O does not offer free transfers the day before or day of to Venice or any other embarkation port (unless you have booked a pre-cruise hotel package).....because they changed the port, they are now offering free transfers from the Venice airport to Trieste on the day of embarkation.

Bummer…just received Riviera Aug 28-Sept 14 itinerary update cancelling Venice and amending ports from Sept 2-7…disappointed and reassessing interest in new ports…we have until March 11 to cancel.

7 hours ago, BEEZLEE said:

Bummer…just received Riviera Aug 28-Sept 14 itinerary update cancelling Venice and amending ports from Sept 2-7…disappointed and reassessing interest in new ports…we have until March 11 to cancel.

I'm on the September 4 to September 14 Riviera and now we are boarding in Valletta, Malta.  I was just about ready to book my airline tickets, so glad I hadn't pushed the button.  This cruise is now a cruise of the Greek Isles and Istanbul.  I am taking my daughter and her best friend and the best part of the trip was Venice and Santorini.  Thank goodness Santorini is still on the itinerary. Oh well, just another time where one must be flexible.

Just an observation…O along with all other cruise lines have had a huge financial hit over past 2 years…suggest these new added ports are small with low fees and O will also cut fuel costs by not cruising north to Venice as new ports are relatively close together…

We are not a fan of these port changes, but we are really looking forward to a getaway and would cruise to just about anywhere ! 

1 hour ago, BEEZLEE said:

Just an observation…O along with all other cruise lines have had a huge financial hit over past 2 years…suggest these new added ports are small with low fees and O will also cut fuel costs by not cruising north to Venice as new ports are relatively close together…

We are not a fan of these port changes, but we are really looking forward to a getaway and would cruise to just about anywhere ! 

Well, while those things are a byproduct of the changes, they certainly aren't the driving factors. Oceania would be embarking in Venice if they could. 

I agree that Oceania would be embarking in Venice if they could.  There were 5 ships showing as docking in the commercial port earlier.  I'm sure the majority of them were looking for an alternative port and Trieste and Ravenna were taken by one of the other ships which left no other choice for Oceania.  Since we are embarking there, that means the previous cruise is also having their disembarkation port being changed.  I definitely would not want to be working in the Department at Oceania that is trying to make all the changes that have been necessary, between COVID and the war in the Ukraine and the closing of the ports in Venice. They have and continue to have their hands full.

• Like 1

Agree O would embark Venice if they could. However, they’ve been eliminating Venice for months.  Had these upcoming cruises been changed sooner, possibly a closer port to Venice would have been available.  At least the 6 port changes were made prior to FP allowing passengers time to look into the revised itinerary. 

We’re bummed that we will be dumped off in Valletta on 04Sep.  Very expensive tickets to FRA or MUC (Star Alliance hubs).  We had planned to spend a few days in Venice, and train to MUC.  Thinking of canceling.  Also major disappointment on cutting out Croatia. Interesting that the change in itinerary occurred two days after final payment was made.