What is going on with Scenic Cruises

mvjcruise

2 hours ago, pontac said:

I find it funny how the things adopted for 'greenness' reasons by companies are the ones that save them money.

I don't mind how Avalon has gone paperless - I saved all the menu's, daily sheets and books from our cruise, but then have to digitalize them if I wish to post something, so it will be much easier having that already done for Sept. Also, much easier to tease people (parents) with the menu's we will be having every night. They are probably saving a lot of money in publishing, and that I don't mind. If it helps keep the costs down for us, it's truly a triple win - for the consumer, the company and the environment. As to the "door to door" delivery, that was only provided for the UK, so most won't miss that. 🙂

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

When did Scenic stop home to transport transfer.

It was in a small print footnote in a recent advertising postcard.  Big bold print at top (FREE Private Door-to-Door Transfers^), but small print at bottom referenced by the ^ after the big print at top said 'no' to first time cruisers (like I was in August) and second time cruisers (like I could possibly by, though Scenic's attraction has now significantly declined for me.) 

^Private door-to-door transfers will be bookable through Scenic for Platinum, Diamond and Emerald Scenic Club members and complimentary within 100 miles of an airport where flights are available from.

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

As to the "door to door" delivery, that was only provided for the UK, so most won't miss that.

Unfortunately there aren't  separate CruiseCritic forums for the various markets the cruise companies operate in. UK CruiseCritic main site transfers us to this forum.

@pontac, yes, I realise that, but that was one perk that I think was only for those in the UK. 

My main problem with Scenic is almost every time I try to go through their website to look at a potential cruise, it doesn't work...very frustrating, and while I realise that the experience onboard is 100% different than the experience you get from the local offices/website, it's the "first impression", and kills most interest in touring with them. I use a TA, and if I can't get through the website, I wouldn't expect her to have to spend the time either.

Oh yes I see, well all they’ve done is returned to how it was I think about ten years ago. When it first started it was offered to all customers as an enticement then after you’d done a few cruises as a bonus. There have been several changes with the frequent users perks hinted at recently along with the dropping of the luggage etc., I doubt it will be anything better and I’m old enough to remember when it was not all inclusive.

I find it interesting what other nationalities see and experience on their cruises.

Edited by Canal archive

Not sure if its across the board but I noticed the price of our Rhine cruise next year is up about 60%+.  That would surely make that our second and final Scenic cruise.  Almost $3k per day is way beyond any value calculation we would consider. 

13 hours ago, Daisi said:

I realise that the experience onboard is 100% different than the experience you get from the local offices/website,

100% different? I do hope you'll find it so. 

I didn't have problems accessing their co.uk website and unfortunately I didn't find the experience onboard lived up to their hype.

The saga continues for getting our cruise docs for next week.  Scenic claims they mailed the docs out end of March.  Not received by me or my TA.  Back in February Scenic sent out an email that docs will not be mailed but rather will be emailed.  Who knows what is really their process today?  No explanation of why they won't email the docs out now.  I sure hope the on board people make up for the circus that seems to be Scenic corporate.

Edited by flviking
edit

1 hour ago, flviking said:

Scenic claims they mailed the docs out end of March.  Not received by me or my TA.  Back in February Scenic sent out an email that docs will not be mailed but rather will be emailed. 

From the review* of my August cruise with Scenic:-

Two weeks before the cruise start date [I got a ] wallet with air–tickets, cruise details, earpieces and bag tags. Except there were no tickets and no information, instead a card said the documents would be emailed.

I then got an email with multiple PDF documents attached, including flight details, taxi arrangements, a health form and a 28 page document of information which I read through twice. Second time I used a highlighter on the important bits, mainly Scenic’s emergency number in Switzerland. The document waffled on telling us that few hotels in Europe had airconditioning, that there was a charge for public toilets etc.

It also told us to download the Scenic Tailormade App, but we wouldn’t  be able to download the data for our trip until we were on the boat.

* Link to review in my Signature, below

• 3 weeks later...

We are back from our Scenic cruise. All in all it was good but not great. The final straw was when they “forgot” to book our transfer from the ship to the airport in Nuremberg. The “private transfer” met that definition. A cramped taxi which could not fit two airline size suit cases and two backpacks. The taxi reeked of smoke which aggravated my DW asthma. Best of all the driver went through three stop signs. Not a slow down and rolling stop. Just straight through. Our HVAC never worked. We gave up asking after the third day of being told to “give it some time”. Attached are two photos of the HVAC in a USD14,000 per week suite. Not my idea of a five star line. YMMV. 

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5110.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

What does HVAC stand for and YMMV and please report the taxi to head office, because the same with anything if they don’t know nothing will be done and even if nothings done at least it’s reported. 

HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, more commonly used when referring to houses. YMMV is Your Mileage May Vary, I guess they mean others may have a different experience? 

Thanks Daisi not many of us in the U.K. have air con so that’s why I didn’t recognise it. 
flviking complain complain complain it’s really not good enough in all the years I’ve travelled with Scenic I’ve never heard of anything like your experience it’s absolutely not good enough, I hope you got names.

To be sure as many report the on board staff do a great job making up for the many shortcomings of the corporate offices. The cruise director was not empowered to arrange a private transfer so at 0900 day of departure we didn’t know if we were bussing or in a car. I have let my travel agent deal with the issues. The issue isn’t bus or car. The issue is listing amenities on the web site then not delivering. It’s rather more difficult to report departure issues when the survey is required to be completed BEFORE DEPARTURE. We felt the crew members who were above and beyond earned acknowledgment. We didn’t want to sacrifice their well earned accolades for a foolish requirement to respond to your cruise experience before it is over. If you note the pictures (on the second cruise of the season) I’d suggest Scenic is aware of the problems and has no intent to fix a ship which is only 7 years old. While charging for first class we received economy plus. 

My final update on our recent Scenic Amber cruise issues.

We asked our travel agent to get in contact with Scenic for us.  In less than a week it appears the issue was elevated beyond our TA's usual contacts. Two days later we were offered what we consider to be fair compensation for the issues we experienced.  Of course we would prefer there not be any issues. As they did occur and we attempted to first resolve them on board and then documented the most problematic with our photos we are satisfied that we were heard and Scenic took our concerns seriously.

• Thanks 1