NCL Gem - Orchid Garden Menu?

RBrowny

Hi, 

I'm so engrossed by the main dining room and the speciality restaurants, that I've not given the Orchid Garden a think about. Does anyone have a recent menu for here? I believe it's included, similar to O'Sheenans and was wondering what the menu looks like.

Many thanks!

We sailed the GEM and Dawn just before the Covid-19 shut down cruises in early 2020 - I have the "old" Bamboo menu from the Dawn, which is basically the same as the ones on the Gem's Orchid Garden - it was fine, not as good as years ago, some of the better & fancier choices gone or replaced (due mostly to rising food costs & budget ...)  Didn't post the Gem's Asian menu from later 2019 as it was virtually the same - go straight to page 5, post #118 directly. 

The menu will give you some ideas of what to expect, plus photos - there're more photos if you browse thru that entire review, as we dined there twice.   Someone currently on the Gem (and/or the Dawn) can probably post or upload the latest ones ... I haven't kept up with the restart of the mid-sized ships in the fleet to chase after these menu changes myself.  

22 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

We sailed the GEM and Dawn just before the Covid-19 shut down cruises in early 2020 - I have the "old" Bamboo menu from the Dawn, which is basically the same as the ones on the Gem's Orchid Garden - it was fine, not as good as years ago, some of the better & fancier choices gone or replaced (due mostly to rising food costs & budget ...)  Didn't post the Gem's Asian menu from later 2019 as it was virtually the same - go straight to page 5, post #118 directly. 

The menu will give you some ideas of what to expect, plus photos - there're more photos if you browse thru that entire review, as we dined there twice.   Someone currently on the Gem (and/or the Dawn) can probably post or upload the latest ones ... I haven't kept up with the restart of the mid-sized ships in the fleet to chase after these menu changes myself.  

That's amazing, thank you very much. Just had a look, looks perfect and varied - I wonder if they use MSG in the cooking. But that's still a decent menu with a few different choices, is it just for evening meal or can you go for lunch? I think it will be nice to try. 

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. 

@RBrowny - mate, glad that was helpful.  Yes, I am pretty sure MSG was used to enhance flavoring in their cooking (and, they are even in those light soy sauce) but if you are allegic, probably can alert Special Needs ahead and request to see if they can omit or not use it.  They're open mainly for nightly dinner only, but, it won't hurt to check on embarkation day to see if they might be available for lunch - or perhaps on sea days if it is on a longer itinerary.  It was (is) complimentary, except for the some of the sushi & sashimi menu items - no idea if and what changes were made within this past year restarting the fleet.  Portions were petite so two can order several entrees to share, plus the starter ... skip the chicken egg drop & cream corn soup or the hot & sour soup (maybe called something similar) as those were horrible - the noodles soup/broth were okay.  The menu is somewhat identical to the ones found on Shanghai Noodles on the *Away/+ class ships.  

For whatever reasons, it was so popular on our New England/Canada cruise that year ... reservations were filling up fast but we managed to eat there on Day 2 when most're headed for Cagney & LeBistro ... and, the sweets/dessert choices were different than the chocolate stuff in the MDR & everywhere else.  Plus, if the hostess can seat you closer or near the entrance, you can listen to the lounge/piano music & singer(s) from the atrium below.  

Happy, safe & healthy cruising, enjoy.  

Just outside Orchid Garden is the sushi bar.  We didn't eat at O.G., but very much enjoyed the sushi on a couple of nights.  It was quite good - better than some 'land' restaurants we've been to.  We paid a la carte and found the prices on rolls to be reasonable.   We had this as a pre-show "snack" and had dinner after the shows.   The staff was very attentive, too. 

I'm looking forward to their sushi again.

We ate there on the Gem on our last cruise before shut down. I recommend getting the five spice chocolate cake. It was very good. Based on the name, I was a little nervous, but it was delicious. Pot stickers and crispy calamari were also good. Don't recall what entrees we had so they must have been okay, but not stand outs.

We enjoyed going there as it was a good change from the other complimentary restaurants. Very happy that it did not cost extra unless you get sushi. 

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Just one guy's opinion, but the Orchard Garden, at least my experience on the Gem this past December, is no better than the Asian food on buffet.  Nothing special at all.

Our pre-pandemic experiences at the Orchid Garden on the Gem were disappointing as well.  We've been on the Gem a number of times, and quickly learned that while the appetizers weren't too bad, the entrees were not very good.  So occasionally we'll stop by for the appetizers. 

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Plus, if the hostess can seat you closer or near the entrance, you can listen to the lounge/piano music & singer(s) from the atrium below.  

Which is not always a blessing. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Just one guy's opinion, but the Orchard Garden, at least my experience on the Gem this past December, is no better than the Asian food on buffet.  Nothing special at all.

Yes, just average Asian food.

However, some cruisers would still visit this restaurant to eat for dinner.

Things where it is mostly different than the buffet:

Someone serving you vs. you walking around in the buffet

Tea

Desserts

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Our pre-pandemic experiences at the Orchid Garden on the Gem were disappointing as well.  We've been on the Gem a number of times, and quickly learned that while the appetizers weren't too bad, the entrees were not very good.  So occasionally we'll stop by for the appetizers. 

Which is not always a blessing. 🤣

Yes, some appetizers are the best. You can order more if you like them.

As for entrees - not the best or the worst, just average food.

Fried Rice, etc.

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@RBrowny - mate, glad that was helpful.  Yes, I am pretty sure MSG was used to enhance flavoring in their cooking (and, they are even in those light soy sauce) but if you are allegic, probably can alert Special Needs ahead and request to see if they can omit or not use it.  They're open mainly for nightly dinner only, but, it won't hurt to check on embarkation day to see if they might be available for lunch - or perhaps on sea days if it is on a longer itinerary.  It was (is) complimentary, except for the some of the sushi & sashimi menu items - no idea if and what changes were made within this past year restarting the fleet.  Portions were petite so two can order several entrees to share, plus the starter ... skip the chicken egg drop & cream corn soup or the hot & sour soup (maybe called something similar) as those were horrible - the noodles soup/broth were okay.  The menu is somewhat identical to the ones found on Shanghai Noodles on the *Away/+ class ships.  

For whatever reasons, it was so popular on our New England/Canada cruise that year ... reservations were filling up fast but we managed to eat there on Day 2 when most're headed for Cagney & LeBistro ... and, the sweets/dessert choices were different than the chocolate stuff in the MDR & everywhere else.  Plus, if the hostess can seat you closer or near the entrance, you can listen to the lounge/piano music & singer(s) from the atrium below.  

Happy, safe & healthy cruising, enjoy.  

Oh I love MSG, hence why I'm asking haha! Got to love a Chinese that adds MSG to it's food 😉 

9 hours ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Just outside Orchid Garden is the sushi bar.  We didn't eat at O.G., but very much enjoyed the sushi on a couple of nights.  It was quite good - better than some 'land' restaurants we've been to.  We paid a la carte and found the prices on rolls to be reasonable.   We had this as a pre-show "snack" and had dinner after the shows.   The staff was very attentive, too. 

I'm looking forward to their sushi again.

I guess if it's included, it's definitely worth visiting at least once to say you've done it sort of thing.

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Is the Asian food similar then, not sure what to expect from the buffet.

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

We ate there on the Gem on our last cruise before shut down. I recommend getting the five spice chocolate cake. It was very good. Based on the name, I was a little nervous, but it was delicious. Pot stickers and crispy calamari were also good. Don't recall what entrees we had so they must have been okay, but not stand outs.

We enjoyed going there as it was a good change from the other complimentary restaurants. Very happy that it did not cost extra unless you get sushi. 

Five spice chocolate cake sounds wrong, but also sounds so right - will definitely try that. Like you say, nice to try something different, so I'm happy either way.

• Like 1