Russian Sanctions to include cruise business?

mmcguir

BBWC:  One or two remembrances of things past as to "decaying Soviet architecture".  

Visit to the former East Berlin shortly-after fall of The Wall.  This tour included utilizing the railway station.  Half the overhead lights did not work.  Dank odor.  Then, visited to the famous Pergamon Museum.        Do a Google. 

Impressive inside, as East German authorities made a decision to spend precious resources to make that site a tourist "destination".   They succeeded in that effort. 

As to some exterior walls?  Noted the pockmarks.  Comment to our Guide: this detritus looked like remnants of .51-caliber Soviet machine gun fire.  Right, she said.  Those walls were purposefully left in the same condition for the past almost-50 years. Result of Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov's March-April '45 final "Offensive to Liberate Berlin". 

Most of that city was blown-up in the process earlier via either British-American air bombardment; then, finally by Soviet artillery firing point-blank.  It was a miracle Pergamon survived, at all.  

Well, as Lenin opined:  Making an omelet requires breaking some eggs. 

But, as usual, I digress.  Back to another example of decaying Soviet architecture.  Cruising out of St. Pete after an extended 1995 stay when aboard HA's Maasdam:  observed row upon row of abandoned Soviet submarines basically run-up on one shore back.  I hoped these were older, non-nuclear-powered.  If not--how about the critical cores?  

Did much the same exit route in 1997 when aboard "Cloud".  Nothing had changed.  Same subs.  Same concern.  

Cruised out, yet again, in 2019 when aboard Explorer.  Well, progress.  Did not see any subs.  

GOARMY!

5 hours ago, BBWC said:

Well, having been to Murmansk, we couldn’t wait to get out of there. But if you are into decaying Soviet architecture, you may like it.

BBWC, I've not had the chance to see Murmansk of today and compare it to photographs from over 40 years ago; someday I would like that chance.

@GOARMY and @UUNetBill we are of similar minds.  It's such a privilege to travel and to see places, to learn about the history and to meet the people there.  Strangely, it's those places which are about as different from home as could be that prove to be the most memorable.  I'm really sad that we won't be calling at Murmansk and Archangelsk this time (though agree 100% with the itinerary change) and hope that some day we'll get another chance.  

• Like 3

To somewhat piggyback on what @GOARMY said, for some of us it's very interesting to see what remains of our Cold War foes.  I've toured some of those subs, and icebreakers, and more interestingly - an abandoned (thankfully) missile silo.  As someone who spent more than a few years underground at Cheyenne Mountain it was fascinating to see the contrast of the facilities.  Those kinds of insights are what make travel more interesting for me.

I know that there's a big world out there with a multitude of cultures and experiences waiting to be sampled...but sometimes a few of us want to see a little bit of the darker side of history.  I wouldn't want to go to Murmansk for the beaches or the nightlife but seeing that side of the soviet machine would be on my bucket list for sure.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, mrlevin said:

We have lost five Russian ports and there were two sea days getting to the White Sea ports; I sure hope they substitute something good.  Unlike Wendy, I do not expect any monetary compensation (not even shipboard credit).

Marc

Overnight in St Petersburg 19/20 July has been replaced by overnight in Helsinki with no other change to Baltic portion of itinerary; still no word on replacements for White/Barent Sea ports.

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Overnight in St Petersburg 19/20 July has been replaced by overnight in Helsinki with no other change to Baltic portion of itinerary; still no word on replacements for White/Barent Sea ports.

How is Helsinki as a port? I looked at current Regent excursions for Helsinki and it looks pretty thin. I also did not see any evening tours. I hope they add a lot more stuff.

Just now, scseas said:

How is Helsinki as a port? I looked at current Regent excursions for Helsinki and it looks pretty thin. I also did not see any evening tours. I hope they add a lot more stuff.

Have been there once before on Voyager and thought it good for a three hour tour.  I hope they do add evening tours or even an overnight tour to the interior of the country.  The day before we will be in Kotka Finland, a new port for us. I  see that it is less than 40 miles from Russia so maybe we can check out the frontier and see former battlefields from the Winter War.

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Have been there once before on Voyager and thought it good for a three hour tour.  I hope they do add evening tours or even an overnight tour to the interior of the country.  The day before we will be in Kotka Finland, a new port for us. I  see that it is less than 40 miles from Russia so maybe we can check out the frontier and see former battlefields from the Winter War.

Disappointing. Was hoping for Germany with option of Berlin or adding Riga and another stop. Not sure if we will keep our reservation.

I visited Leningrad and Moscow in 1986, as a chaperone for a high school group. It was fascinating. Grey and dreary.
In 2008, Herb and I visited St. Petersburg. I was amazed at the change. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. 
In 2019, we visited Murmansk with Regent. It was as though I was back in Russia of 1986. Intriguing.

This is what travel should be about!
sheila

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, scseas said:

Boring.  Big white Parliament building and stepped square, visible from ship.  "Rock Church" looks like a bunker from outside, not much inside.  These are the main attractions on most tours.

Been three times, didn't get off the ship the second time, went to a pier-side market last time.

Seeing the fleet of icebreakers in port is interesting but not open to the public.

YMMV

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, audobon_tx said:

Boring.  Big white Parliament building and stepped square, visible from ship.  "Rock Church" looks like a bunker from outside, not much inside.  These are the main attractions on most tours.

Been three times, didn't get off the ship the second time, went to a pier-side market last time.

Seeing the fleet of icebreakers in port is interesting but not open to the public.

YMMV

I agree…. Been there twice and once was enough for the sights. Nice port but not much to see especially for overnight.

There are so many other places on that itinerary worth another night or two - for a inland trip. Glad We canceled and replaced it as not worth the 90 some days now. 

4 minutes ago, cwn said:

Glad We canceled and replaced it as not worth the 90 some days now. 

cwn, did Regent offer any enticements to try to keep you from canceling the entire Grand Voyage?

Edited by mrlevin

scseas:

Helsinki is a gem.  Wonderful time of year.  You will be able to read a book at Midnight--in the Pool Grill area--without aid of artificial light.  

One tour I would caution--if it is available.  That is "Helsinki by Sea and Fortress Island".   When we did this in 2019, it was at additional cost ($103.00).  Thank-you, OBC.  

Anyway, it was a hurried-harried five hour rush rush from one site to the next--plus need to take a ferry to access Fortress Island.  And then, of course, catch that commercial ferry back to the Mainland to keep on schedule.  Our Guide was not-gracious when moving the group (around 25 folks) at a rapid pace.  The Tour's overview did caution folks that a lot of walking (over uneven ground) would be required.  Totally accurate.  

We made that return ferry connection back to the Mainland by about 1-minute, I kid you not.  Wife and self then "bailed-out".  Enough rush.  After notifying the Guide,  and at our own leisure pace--walked around a section of the waterfront; and enjoyed a coffee and pastry.  Then--gravitated to a bus stop which showed a route to the Pier where Explorer was docked.  Not-surprisingly--several of our comrades had also bailed.  Our group joined with another from a Princess ship docked near ours.  Had a quiet ride back to Explorer, arriving before the rest of the Fortress Island group. 

I did make note of our experience to appropriate Staff.  Too many stops; too little time.  And, somewhat lack of civility exhibited by the Guide.  That could have been a one-off situation; so take it for whatever it has cost you to review my review.  

Several other stops at Helsinki on earlier cruises--none of which involved an overnight.  The main city area offers several options, to include a tour of a Military Museum with emphasis on the 1939-1940 Winter War with the USSR.  Now--more poignant that ever in light of current events. 

GOARMY!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

cwn, did Regent offer any enticements to try to keep you from canceling the entire Grand Voyage?

No, why should they…..they didn’t cancel the cruise. But did get all our money back either in cash or credit on the new cruise which is much more likely to sail with few changes.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cwn said:

No, why should they…..they didn’t cancel the cruise. But did get all our money back either in cash or credit on the new cruise which is much more likely to sail with few changes.

When Regent changed our October 2019 Mariner cruise from three stops in Cuba to a Western Caribbean cruise they offered us 50% off to not cancel; I agree apples to oranges with respect to upcoming Navigator change but Regent felt compelled to make the offer at least once before.

We've been to Helsinki a few times and enjoyed the city, which clearly speaks to our Northern European psyche!  Last time we were there on board Voyager (I think) we did the tour to Porvoo which we enjoyed very much indeed.  It's a cute old town with a traditional flavour (though there's a modern town centre just over the road) and pleasing to walk around for a couple of hours.  Fans of Sibelius can visit his home and studio on another tour, with a visit to his memorial too - a special place which is suitably fitting for someone considered a national hero.  Above all, Helsinki is a "real city", not simply a tourist destination.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GOARMY said:

scseas:

Helsinki is a gem.  Wonderful time of year.  You will be able to read a book at Midnight--in the Pool Grill area--without aid of artificial light.  

I agree. The modern architecture is amazing. Loved the Church in the Rock...we happened to be there when the organist was rehearsing. The Kamppi Chapel is a marvel. 

• Like 2

scseas:

----------------

Yes, yes.  Thank you, recent Posters 70-72.  Memories flood back.  Back to mid-90s, and again late 90s.  Segments aboard Silversea and HA Baltics (also included St. Petersburg) cruises.  

We did the Sibelius Tour; and the Church in the Rock.  Yes, Literally IN the Rock.  Typical Finland.  Cold, stone-cold exterior to deal with the Elements; warm interior.  And, a proud people who want to stay independent while realizing sharing a common border with THE BEAR has involved numerous historical "challenges".  Thus, the historical Museums.  Finland survives.   

Aside.  gabelle:  stealing and paraphrasing a famous line uttered by Alan Sandler in "The Wedding Singer" movie: Your 2018 experience on that same Fortress Tour " . . . would have been useful information for me to have had, oh, about THREE YEARS AGO!!"  At least, we were afforded one such latrine break.  

Stay safe, all.  

GO ARMY!

• Like 1

Been following the available rooms on my Baltic trip and it looks like a lot of people bailed. Eyeballing it the cruise barely looks 1/4 full (it was never very full but it looks a lot less full today). Is there a risk Regent cancels the Baltic cruises and redeploys elsewhere? I understand why people would be reluctant to go on a trip without SPB, as well as the unrest in the region.

We did our air separately so I'm wondering what to do before our final payment date in a few weeks.

Our cruise is already going to Helsinki, followed by two nights at St. Petersburg - so these are big shoes to fill.  Not looking good for this trip.  😞 I was hoping that the whole cruise would just change to something else.