Onboard Paid Cabin Upgrade

wowzz

Given the current load factors, has anyone who has recently cruised,  been able to upgrade their cabin on embarkation, at a reasonable cost ?

There have been quite a few comments on the Princess forum of pax upgrading from balconies to minisuites at attractive prices.

Somehow, I feel I may already know the answer to the question, but it would be interesting to know the reality.

A few years back, we booked a balcony on Arcadia that when we saw it, was not really suitable because it only had a bed settee and not a chair that we expected (as some other balcony cabins have). The chair was important because of a medical need. When we reported it, they said they didn’t have any more of the chair we needed but could offer us one out of a bar which proved to be too big for the cabin, and one out of their back office. We then asked whether there was another cabin which was more suited to our needs, but there were no other cabins vacant. On day 3, we were told that there was a suite available (the jacuzzi jets on the bath were faulty) and that on payment of an extra four figure sum, it would be ours. Faced with the choice of transferring to the suite (parting with an arm and a leg to do so), or flying home, we paid up. P&O were very helpful in transferring our things from our cabin to the suite and we had a great cruise. The paid upgrade was well worth it. 

When we arrived home, we phoned a contact at P&O outlining the problems and thanking them for resolving them for us and for the efforts they made. She was grateful for the feedback but thought the upgrade was too expensive so knocked £500 a future cruise we had already booked.

• Like 2

My only experience of this situation was when on boarding the cruise I went straight to reception to see about upgrading to a balcony cabin....sorry ship full but they took my room number. Three days into the cruise we reached Madeira after an horrendous BOB crossing where the ship had listed very badly. Consequently quite a few disembarked at Madeira to make there way home. Following day I received a phone call from reception offering us a balcony cabin but the price wanted was quite staggering can't remember the exact figure but the figure wanted shocked us. I think it was double the price we had paid for our  outside cabin but we were 4 days into a 13 night cruise and they had already had the balcony fare from the previous occupants who had disembarked

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janny444 said:

My only experience of this situation was when on boarding the cruise I went straight to reception to see about upgrading to a balcony cabin....sorry ship full but they took my room number. Three days into the cruise we reached Madeira after an horrendous BOB crossing where the ship had listed very badly. Consequently quite a few disembarked at Madeira to make there way home. Following day I received a phone call from reception offering us a balcony cabin but the price wanted was quite staggering can't remember the exact figure but the figure wanted shocked us. I think it was double the price we had paid for our  outside cabin but we were 4 days into a 13 night cruise and they had already had the balcony fare from the previous occupants who had disembarked

Sounds like they didn't really want to move you.  Poor show imho.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:34 AM, wowzz said:

Given the current load factors, has anyone who has recently cruised,  been able to upgrade their cabin on embarkation, at a reasonable cost ?

There have been quite a few comments on the Princess forum of pax upgrading from balconies to minisuites at attractive prices.

Somehow, I feel I may already know the answer to the question, but it would be interesting to know the reality.

We paid £1000 to upgrade from balcony to suite on Britannia day after embarking on Friday last week … best move we made! 

2 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

We paid £1000 to upgrade from balcony to suite on Britannia day after embarking on Friday last week … best move we made! 

Thanks for the information. 

Just wondering what the cost  might be to upgrade from a balcony to a minisuite on Arcadia later this month.

The price you paid looks exceptionsl value.  I assume that was for two weeks ? 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for the information. 

Just wondering what the cost  might be to upgrade from a balcony to a minisuite on Arcadia later this month.

The price you paid looks exceptionsl value.  I assume that was for two weeks ? 

Yes two weeks