Carnival Has 3 Ships Carrying Passengers - No Covid Cases

sunonfire

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It's obvious that if public opinion decided policy, everyone posting would have small pox.

That is not so obvious. Smallpox vaccines were welcomed. Polio vaccines were welcomed. But, something at least with a significant minority of the population has now changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That is not so obvious. Smallpox vaccines were welcomed. Polio vaccines were welcomed. But, something at least with a significant minority of the population has now changed.

Smallpox vaccine mandates made it to the Supreme Court.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

True, but there are always a few who will complain. I think the general public was happy. 

And I was a youngster when the first polio vaccine came out. If there was any backlash to it, it was miniscule.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you read the cases you will note that the Supreme Court approved "State" mandates under the police power of the states. This is not a Federal power.

6 minutes ago, icft said:

I don't think anyone advocates public opinion deciding policy. But in a democracy the people elect representatives who they hope think like them and those representatives are expected to learn about important issues and set policy. What scientists and medical experts think should be taken into consideration by those representatives, but our representatives are not doing their jobs if they give the power to set policy over to any scientists or medical experts.

You will never get a non-trivial population to agree 100% on anything. Someone will always cry foul. Everything beginning with the Constitution is a compromise.

Public opinion blows with the wind. One reason why we can't recall members of Congress.

4 minutes ago, icft said:

If you read the cases you will note that the Supreme Court approved "State" mandates under the police power of the states. This is not a Federal power.

Different states had different mandates concerning covid in areas where they had jurisdiction.

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think what created the change is how things were done. While there will always be the fringe elements there are reasonable people who have serious constitutional concerns with how the pandemic has been handled. The major change that created resistance was the "emergency" powers claimed by state governors who used those powers to create and enforce "laws" and dispense punishment without going to state legislatures. Emergency powers are necessary, but are only a stop-gap until legislatures can fulfill their functions. Many governors just usurped legislatures and never looked back. Thankfully the courts have been slapping them down as cases have finally made it to the courts.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

True, but there are always a few who will complain. I think the general public was happy. 

And I was a youngster when the first polio vaccine came out. If there was any backlash to it, it was miniscule.

Some people like to gamble and don't understand odds, they use "the force" or "feelings" to make a decision. At this point, it won't make no never-mind, folks have decided and nothing is going to change that. I'll happily be in line for the next booster. Wouldn't mind getting my Moderna 5G government chip implant topped up two weeks before my next cruise in fact. 😁  

17 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Some people like to gamble and don't understand odds, they use "the force" or "feelings" to make a decision. At this point, it won't make no never-mind, folks have decided and nothing is going to change that. I'll happily be in line for the next booster. Wouldn't mind getting my Moderna 5G government chip implant topped up two weeks before my next cruise in fact. 😁  

While I do not share you views, I absolutely respect your right to take the measures you described. If you think that will keep you safe, that is your decision to make and you should be commended for your dedication. What I don't understand is why some can't extend the same respect to others that feel different. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

What I don't understand is why some think they have a right to threaten the health of others. Public health is a right.

An example---a few years ago there was a measles outbreak in schools in part of my state. The legislature passed, the Governor signed, and the courts after the inevitable appeal approved of the law leaving in the medical exemption but taking away the religious exemption. The courts reasoned that this was a necessary public health measure.

Our son knows a youngster in that area who is his Godson in all but official name. He could have taken the exemption because he is immunocompromised. During the outbreak before the new law, his parents decided it was less risky for him to get the measles vaccine rather than being exposed with no herd immunity. He is an example of what these vaccine laws are supposed to protect.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

An example---a few years ago there was a measles outbreak in schools in part of my state. The legislature passed, the Governor signed, and the courts after the inevitable appeal approved of the law leaving in the medical exemption but taking away the religious exemption. The courts reasoned that this was a necessary public health measure.

Our son knows a youngster in that area who is his Godson in all but official name. He could have taken the exemption because he is immunocompromised. During the outbreak before the new law, his parents decided it was less risky for him to get the measles vaccine rather than being exposed with no herd immunity. He is an example of what these vaccine laws are supposed to protect.

This is an example of how things should be done. If this path had been taken during this pandemic the attitudes of many would be different. That is far different than one governor or president issuing a decree. The people (legislature) have a say.