Daylight Savings Time

MrCruzdoggie

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

IMO DST makes no sense anymore.  Should drop the concept and maintain a single time.  Of course then the argument would be which time? - "fall back" or "spring forward" based.  LOL.

Personally my vote would be "spring forward"!

Easier said than done.   California and a couple other states voted to eliminate DST through our Proposition process 3 years ago.   We still haven't eliminated it and no plans to do so in the near future.   I guess it also requires the approval of congress. 

56 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Easier said than done.   California and a couple other states voted to eliminate DST through our Proposition process 3 years ago.   We still haven't eliminated it and no plans to do so in the near future.   I guess it also requires the approval of congress. 

I realize there are complexities surrounding this at the state and federal levels, but just was expressing an opinion that apparently 71% of Americans agree with.  BTW Arizona and Hawaii are two states that do not observe it currently.

We were on the Summit in November.  We went back an hour to go to Cozumel.  It was over "fall back" weekend, so we didn't have to give the hour back when heading back to Miami. 

They did say that we got an extra hour of cruising.

We tipped accordingly.  

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, BEAV said:

Working a graveyard union job, we got paid an hour overtime during Fall Back when our 8-hr or 10-hr shift became 9 or 11 hours that one night of the year. During Spring Forward, we got 8/10 hrs pay for working 7/9 hr shifts that night. Win-win! 😉

Must have been a government job.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2022 at 5:04 PM, jerseygirl3 said:

As a nurse I always felt when the clocks turn back we should get paid for the extra hour on night shift. Never happened. 

I worked 12’s and always got paid that extra hour and 13 the other way. 

It gets confusing when the clocks change on a Weatern Caribbean cruise and you cross into Central time but the island you’re going to doesn’t change the clocks and the ship stays on ship time in port

i told you it gets confusing. 

Edited by mfs2k

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I realize there are complexities surrounding this at the state and federal levels, but just was expressing an opinion that apparently 71% of Americans agree with.  BTW Arizona and Hawaii are two states that do not observe it currently.

I was curious after I posted yesterday and did a little research on why it hasn't happened and found come really interesting items.

Federal law allows a state to exempt itself from DST. In other words, if you passed a bill in the state Legislature that says California would go on standard time year-round there would be no requirement that Congress give approval. What it does not allow is a year-long observance of DST without congressional approval.

California -  The State Senate and House had to pass a law and the Governor must approve to implement the Referendum and they ran out of time the year it was to be implemented.  Since then no one has sponsored a new bill. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was curious after I posted yesterday and did a little research on why it hasn't happened and found come really interesting items.

Federal law allows a state to exempt itself from DST. In other words, if you passed a bill in the state Legislature that says California would go on standard time year-round there would be no requirement that Congress give approval. What it does not allow is a year-long observance of DST without congressional approval.

California -  The State Senate and House had to pass a law and the Governor must approve to implement the Referendum and they ran out of time the year it was to be implemented.  Since then no one has sponsored a new bill. 

I guess the issue is if a state wants to observe the DST time option (spring forward) you need the Congressional approval.  But if you want to revert to standard time (fall back) you can do so via state approval.   And I guess - as would be my preference - CA and others would prefer the DST option year round. And for some reason - I guess having to do with uniform time recognition within time zones - Congress has yet to address it.  That's a shame.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind