Canada issues new rules Feb 28

HappyInVan

Looking good. We already knew that antigen tests were allowed for entry to Canada. Now, Canada exempts vax travellers from om-arrival tests. Though spot testing will continue.

Unfortunately, returning un-vax residents will still need to be tested and quarantined. Un-vax visitors are still not allowed. So, looks like cruises will require 100% vax for adults.

"Unvaccinated travellers will continue to be required to test on arrival, on Day 8 and quarantine for 14 days. Unvaccinated foreign nationals will not be permitted to enter Canada unless they meet one of the few exemptions."

The good news for Canadians is that the alert level of travel advisory has been lowered to Level 2. Insurance will be possible.

Now, I'm waiting for Canada to drop the don't-cruise advisory for vax residents. Looks like the Alaska season will proceed. 👍

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was reading an article on CBC this morning that the lifting of pre arrival testing for the fully vaccinated won't drop until "pandemic conditions improve".  

I'm curious to what/how this will be determined, but with time I guess we will find out. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/travel-antigen-test-canada-1.6365719

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Looking good. We already knew that antigen tests were allowed for entry to Canada. Now, Canada exempts vax travellers from om-arrival tests. Though spot testing will continue.

Unfortunately, returning un-vax residents will still need to be tested and quarantined. Un-vax visitors are still not allowed. So, looks like cruises will require 100% vax for adults.

"Unvaccinated travellers will continue to be required to test on arrival, on Day 8 and quarantine for 14 days. Unvaccinated foreign nationals will not be permitted to enter Canada unless they meet one of the few exemptions."

The good news for Canadians is that the alert level of travel advisory has been lowered to Level 2. Insurance will be possible.

Now, I'm waiting for Canada to drop the don't-cruise advisory for vax residents. Looks like the Alaska season will proceed. 👍

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

That is the original press release. Will need to see the updated GOC website today for real details.  For example, is the pre-departure rapid test the day before or 24 hours?

Finally.

The antigen test period has been clarified "... no more than 1 day before to (sic) your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water".

The testing has to be done outside of Canada. So short visits are still a bit more involved than (in my mind) necessary. The test can be acquired in Canada so Swithchealth is a viable option.

Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

So my understanding is:

Positive PCR test - wait 10 days.  No other options?

Positive Antigen test - wait for negative antigen test.  They suggest a PCR test to start the clock, but if you get a PCR test, then you are forced to wait the 10 days?

2 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

ok....so we STILL have to have an antigen test to COME BACK INTO CANADA, correct?

Still is an odd word?  Antigen was just added today.

As of today you can use an antigen test one day prior OR a PCR (molecular) test 72 hours prior to return to Canada via Air or Land.

7 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

As of today you can use an antigen test one day prior OR a PCR (molecular) test 72 hours prior to return to Canada via Air or Land.

So you cant take the rapid test as soon as you depart the ship and get on your flight home that day. Is that the only rule 

10 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

Not odd in the sense that I have been "aware" of this change coming for the last few weeks and was still HOPING that they would get rid of the test needed to return home. We are sailing in 2 weeks. And they now say that the mayors of the border towns are asking to have this removed...  

Getting a test in FL when we get off the ship if becoming increasingly complicated. Walgreens and CVS - very pricey for Canadians. I was hoping that Carnival would do the test for us if we ask, but they will not.

1 minute ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

Not odd in the sense that I have been "aware" of this change coming for the last few weeks and was still HOPING that they would get rid of the test needed to return home. We are sailing in 2 weeks. And they now say that the mayors of the border towns are asking to have this removed...  

Getting a test in FL when we get off the ship if becoming increasingly complicated. Walgreens and CVS - very pricey for Canadians. I was hoping that Carnival would do the test for us if we ask, but they will not.

Buy a SwitchHealth kit.  or one of the others. Azova or something like that.  That's our plan. 

1. Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
    • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
    • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
    • the test must be performed outside of Canada*
    • **Would this mean I could still take day of flight home **
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kimlet said:

So you cant take the rapid test as soon as you depart the ship and get on your flight home that day. Is that the only rule 

4 minutes ago, kimlet said:
  1. Starting February 28: proof of a professionally administered or observed antigen test taken outside of Canada no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
    • the one day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time of your flight or entry
    • for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained

It means that you can take the antigen test at any time on the day before or the day of your flight home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kimlet said:

It looks like your question is part of the post so it might get missed. 

The way I read it, you can take it the day of your flight home. 

36 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

28 minutes ago, kimlet said:

Actual wording "... no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight". The only interpretation I can see is that the antigen test can be administered the day before OR the day of scheduled departure to Canada.

• Like 3

So what if you are cruising and the day before a port stop in Canada Victoria is a cruising day? Then the next day following is disembarkation day in Vancouver? Logistically you cannot do it on a cruise day. The complexity from Canada is ridiculous. 
EG:

San Fran

Cruise day

Victoria Port stop

Vancouver Disembark

the only way this works is for 2000+ people to get a PCR test in San Fran. Logistically impossible.

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

So what if you are cruising and the day before a port stop in Canada Victoria is a cruising day? Then the next day following is disembarkation day in Vancouver? Logistically you cannot do it on a cruise day. The complexity from Canada is ridiculous. 
EG:

San Fran

Cruise day

Victoria Port stop

Vancouver Disembark

the only way this works is for 2000+ people to get a PCR test in San Fran. Logistically impossible.

I think reasonably this will all change again before the first Vancouver cruises.  Its too early to predict what the policies will be then.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

Actual wording "... no more than 1 day before to your scheduled flight". The only interpretation I can see is that the antigen test can be administered the day before OR the day of scheduled departure to Canada.

for example, if your flight is scheduled to leave or you enter by land any time on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Thursday, or on Friday

This  I  found on the Canada travel site

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

EG:

San Fran

Cruise day

Victoria Port stop

Vancouver Disembark

You are needlessly worrying and seeing complexity where none exists. The minister was very clear when the announcement was made Feb 15, cruise related regulations would follow at a later time. I would suggest patience rather than needlessly engaging paper tigers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So we are still barred from coming home with a positive test.   

If its a positive PCR we have to wait 10 days (or pay $6200 fines) and if its a positive Antigen, we have to wait for a negative antigen or get a PCR (assuming positive too) then wait 10 days or pay the fine. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Has anyone seen anything indicating that this will change anytime soon, either for land border crossings or flights?