Canada issues new rules Feb 28

HappyInVan

4 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I haven't checked if you can ship them to Canada.  My plan is to have them express shipped to the hotel I am at, assuming I'll have to stay a couple of days. 
But in the past I have purchased other things and had it shipped to the hotel I was planning to stay at before I even arrived.  I just call the hotel ahead of time. 
Shipping to Canada sucks.  Haha

We ordered the Switch Health Antigen test that Air Canada sent us to a link to.  It is $40 Canadian for 2 and we will take it with us to the states for testing before we leave to come back.      

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

We ordered the Switch Health Antigen test that Air Canada sent us to a link to.  It is $40 Canadian for 2 and we will take it with us to the states for testing before we leave to come back.      

Yes. I already have the SwitchHealth tests for our return test. However, if our test comes up positive and we have to stay, I’d have to do more testing. I don’t want to buy a bunch of SwitchHealth to take but I will have to retest. Maybe more than once. 
so that was my plan to get additional tests done. 

The proctored tests from SW were $79 for two for me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

$40 ????????? How did you get it for $40?

COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Kit (2-pack)

Regular $129

Aeroplan Members $79 + Earn 500 points per kit purchased

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

I paid $79 Canadian for a box with 2 tests, as an aeroplan member 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mama-of-three said:

No more than one day. If you have time it can be taken the day if. 

Per the government it can be taken anytime the day before as well as the day of.

you could get tested on disembarkation morning and fly home anytime the following .

this is the clarification I was waiting for

11 hours ago, DHP1 said:

$40 ????????? How did you get it for $40?

COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Kit (2-pack)

Regular $129

Aeroplan Members $79 + Earn 500 points per kit purchased

Sorry as stated before.  I stand corrected.  We paid the aeroplan members price of $79 that you listed.   above.  

13 hours ago, broberts said:

It's not a free test. Either an insurance company or the US federal gov pays for the test. 

Seems to me that if one can afford to cruise including tips & gratuities, one should be willing to cover the cost of testing.

Of course we can afford it, but we are a family of 6 so everything is x6.  There is a wide range of prices out there for tests. So of course any price reduction we can find helps. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Thousands of Canadians have gotten them for free, myself and DH included.  However, if you ask them for an official answer, you’re going to get an official corporate policy that varies quite a bit from the reality at the individual locations.

Noted, thanks!

38 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

Noted, thanks!

Also, the state public health agency may offer free testing, depending on where you are sailing from.  When I was in Tennessee in September we needed a PCR test to return home. I reached out to public health and they provided me with free drive thru PCR test sites.  I made it clear that I was Canadian and it was to return home.  It was still free. 
I may also look into that (preferably the antigen option) if I need it for my cruise but I think I have lots of options at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

OK. I'll bite. Why would the possibility of facing a $6500 fine at the end of a cruise because you had tested positive NOT an issue?

Agreed, this is also a question I'd like answered.  With an April cruise booked ending in Vancouver, I'm sure NCL will not keep me on board if I have a positive test, and as it stands, I understand it's a 5k fine to enter the country with a positive test.

12 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

Agreed, this is also a question I'd like answered.  With an April cruise booked ending in Vancouver, I'm sure NCL will not keep me on board if I have a positive test, and as it stands, I understand it's a 5k fine to enter the country with a positive test.

I believe it's technically $C5000 plus a bunch of add-on charges which apparently total up to around $6500 +/-

23 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

Have you heard of anyone actually getting this fine?

There was a case of some flat earther who blatantly broke every rule he could and I don't recall much of a consequence for him.

The fact is if you test positive there will be a procedure to follow. It's pretty hard to kick a Canadian out of Canada while you are standing in Canada. Clearly you will not remain on the ship.

Edited by Blackduck59

21 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

OK. I'll bite. Why would the possibility of facing a $6500 fine at the end of a cruise because you had tested positive NOT an issue?

If you are talking about cruises that end in Canada, the requirement for entry is "a test" not "a negative test". There would be no basis for a fine.

If you are talking about a cruise ending outside Canada and the need to return home, I'm not sure how to respond. Mostly because I find the thought that people would rather infect others on the way home than not rather distasteful.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Have you heard of anyone actually getting this fine?

There was a case of some flat earther who blatantly broke every rule he could and I don't recall much of a consequence for him.

The fact is if you test positive there will be a procedure to follow. It's pretty hard to kick a Canadian out of Canada while you are standing in Canada. Clearly you will not remain on the ship.

There were a few reports a while back of people who DID have the fine applied, though I don't know how many were off cruise ships. I doubt that the fine is widely applied, or we would be hearing a lot more about it, but it is still apparently applicable. Some folks were arriving at land crossings with all other paperwork correct, just missing the correct negative test result or had an improper test type. Since they were missing that all-important document, they were deemed to have attempted to enter Canada with improper paperwork and were fined. No they can't prevent us from entering our own country, but to me, making me subject to a crippling fine, whether levied or not, is the same as preventing my return.  Just because they may choose to not force me to pay doesn't lessen the blow.  It's still an outrage

I'm not getting stressed about it.

I presume that the government will treat infected cruise travellers similar to infected land travellers. They'll send you onward if you have a viable quarantine plan, and if you're not using public transport.

This is different from air travellers who should not be allowed to board the flight until 10 days of isolation have passed. There is no isolation section on an airliner.

In any case, they will allow cruise pax to land. Its just a question of whether you proceed home or to a Q hotel. This is no different from cruising out of Florida or London.

Here's the important part. How do I avoid getting infected?

I intend to wear KN95/N95 masks for two weeks before the cruise, and during the entire cruise. Its as simple as that.

• Like 1