NCL Belize Port Question

Kzeeguy

First time cruises and  newbies to the forum , so I hope this is the correct thread to ask this on. 

We are on the Joy late March with a stop in Belize and would rather go to Planencia than do the NCL sponsored excursions. 

In Port at   8 am   Leave at 5 pm 

At what time ususally can you get off the ship?

It looks like we have to be back by 4 pm . 

We are looking at a Planenciasnorkles  snorkling excursion 

915 am  ferry  and return at 230. to the Ferry 

Has anyone experienced this and would we have enough time?

You're docking at the NCL private island. You should be able to disembark around 8 am. All aboard will be 4:30 after which you will be left behind. Ship loads are currently light so ferries may be light. If the return ferry is full, delayed, or cancelled, you may have to walk to Costa Maya. 

We went on the ferry to Placencia (pre-covid) and it was not a problem at all. They gave us a ferry return time, I think it was one of the first ones returning and we had no issues.  I would guess that with fewer passengers now, it still would be fine.  We just had lunch and walked around, so I would say to be sure to be clear on times with whomever is taking you snorkeling.

While my guess is that you'll be fine as others have done it, just make sure you bring your passports,  a credit card,  any medications, and the daily with the port information with you in case you miss the ship and have to fly to your next port.

We really wanted to go and check out Caye Caulker on a cruise to Belize (Carnival).  We got the first tender into Belize and the first tender to Caye Caulker.  We went prepared to miss the ship if something went wrong.  Our next port was Roatan and I had already researched flights from Belize to Roatan.  It ended up that we made it back in plenty of time to catch the ship - - we even had time for a drink in the shopping area before we had to board, but we were prepared just in case there was a snafu and we didn't make it.

1 hour ago, SimplyAlbert said:

While my guess is that you'll be fine as others have done it, just make sure you bring your passports,  a credit card,  any medications, and the daily with the port information with you in case you miss the ship and have to fly to your next port.

We really wanted to go and check out Caye Caulker on a cruise to Belize (Carnival).  We got the first tender into Belize and the first tender to Caye Caulker.  We went prepared to miss the ship if something went wrong.  Our next port was Roatan and I had already researched flights from Belize to Roatan.  It ended up that we made it back in plenty of time to catch the ship - - we even had time for a drink in the shopping area before we had to board, but we were prepared just in case there was a snafu and we didn't make it.

Research before you think you can get back on the ship. Last week couple missed the boat in Cozumel and they had the luggage off the ship waiting for them and because of Covid they CAN NOT get back on board the ship.

1 hour ago, Kzeeguy said:

Thanks all... Maybe for peace of mind, we will stick to the cruise line options on this item. \

Yes, better be safe than sorry. We're on March 19th Joy (one week before yours), and I have been thru the excursions list ... there are some snorkelling ones.

It'll be our 26th NCL cruise, but the first time on Joy, and also we have been to all of those 4 ports, so we'll just stroll around the port a bit and return to enjoy the empty ship! One excursion we might do is the Eco Monkey River one in Harvest Caye.

Edited by bluesea777

1 hour ago, Kzeeguy said:

Thanks all... Maybe for peace of mind, we will stick to the cruise line options on this item. \

I hate this port. We sailed to Belize before they built this port and had so many options and great excursions with amazing local tour operators. Then we sailed to Belize and stopped at the new port and they didn’t even allow you to leave. I guess that’s changed since there are some options but it doesn’t sound like they’re great. Maybe just stay on the boat 😞 there was absolutely no reason to get off and go pay exorbitant prices to sit around their big pool for food and drinks. We did and regretted it. 

We thought about going on a private excursion, but the price of the ferry makes it not worth it. I know it is only $25pp, but add 3 people, the cost of the excursion, time spent just back and forth, it makes it not worth it. We decided to just stay at Harvest Caye, relax, and do ziplining.

18 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Research before you think you can get back on the ship. Last week couple missed the boat in Cozumel and they had the luggage off the ship waiting for them and because of Covid they CAN NOT get back on board the ship.

Great advice!  I didn't even think about the COVID part because we did our trip long before COVID became an issue.

1 hour ago, SimplyAlbert said:

Great advice!  I didn't even think about the COVID part because we did our trip long before COVID became an issue.

Yes not to long ago you had no problem getting back on. The cruise lines were known to leave Ship excursions behind and put them up in a nice place and get then to the next port, because it was cheaper then waiting 2-3 hours and messing up the timing for everyone the next day.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Lionkingrichard said:

Question about their luggage - did NCL crew pack up their room and take the bags off the ship, or did the passengers take their luggage with them?  I'm a bit confused.  Also, did they test positive for Covid or was there some protocol about late passengers being denied reboarding?

18 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Question about their luggage - did NCL crew pack up their room and take the bags off the ship, or did the passengers take their luggage with them?  I'm a bit confused.  Also, did they test positive for Covid or was there some protocol about late passengers being denied reboarding?

All aboard was 3:30 and at 3:40 I watched crew bring 2 large pieces of luggage down the gangway. They handed them off to the Port Agent. There he waited until we set sail around 4:10. They were calling their names over and over again. In came the gangway and the port agent wheeled the luggage towards shore.

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

All aboard was 3:30 and at 3:40 I watched crew bring 2 large pieces of luggage down the gangway. They handed them off to the Port Agent. There he waited until we set sail around 4:10. They were calling their names over and over again. In came the gangway and the port agent wheeled the luggage towards shore.

Wow, that's certainly a cautionary tale about being late returning to the ship.  Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Come on, all aboard was 3:30 and 10 minutes later they had all their clothes packed up and down the gangway? I find that almost impossible to do in 10 minutes LOL

Unless they got word an hour before

Edited by Laszlo

5 hours ago, Lionkingrichard said:

They can come & pack my bags for me for my next holiday if they can pack it up & get it off the ship in 10 minutes! 

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Come on, all aboard was 3:30 and 10 minutes later they had all their clothes packed up and down the gangway? I find that almost impossible to do in 10 minutes LOL

Unless they got word an hour before

What you think they send one person and they press and fold your cloths? They were calling names for 15-20 minutes before that even happened. Watch some video's of people missing the boat and try your luck!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

What you think they send one person and they press and fold your cloths? They were calling names for 15-20 minutes before that even happened. Watch some video's of people missing the boat and try your luck!

Never heard of such a thing.

• Like 1