Port of Miami to MIA

Sherman793

For a 10:15 flight you need to be at MIA by about 8:45-9:00 (earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos).  The taxi ride from POM to MIA takes 15-20+ minutes (weekday or weekend?).  That translates into off the ship, with your carry bag, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:15 or so - then hop into the first cab in line (about $30).  It is doable, but you have no wiggle room in your schedule in case anything (ship delays, customs delays, etc.) goes wrong.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home?  🤔 I would choose a flight leaving at noon or later, but it is your call.

51 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

For a 10:15 flight you need to be at MIA by about 8:45-9:00 (earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos).  The taxi ride from POM to MIA takes 15-20+ minutes (weekday or weekend?).  That translates into off the ship, with your carry bag, and clear of customs/immigration by about 8:15 or so - then hop into the first cab in line (about $30).  It is doable, but you have no wiggle room in your schedule in case anything (ship delays, customs delays, etc.) goes wrong.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home?  🤔 I would choose a flight leaving at noon or later, but it is your call.

Dang I booked it I wonder if I can call Delta and change it....I will see. Trip is in May coming back in on Saturday. But the good news it’s Delta so if we miss the flight we can always go standby they have flights every hour or two.

Getting off the ship and to the airport quickly is easy. The nightmare was at the airport - the security lines. This was in the American terminal, I hope it is not the same everywhere, but the line stretched way down the hall, we kept walking to find the end of it and were amazed when it kept going and going and going. Took over an hour to get through security and other people said they waited much longer. I guess that's what happens when half a dozen cruise ships arrive back in port and thousands of people head for the airport at the same time. 

Maybe the Delta terminal is better. 

• Like 1

I was able to modify my flight to noon this morning. No sense in stressing. We are TSA but flying home a couple months ago from Orlando was awful even with TSA so I imagine this will be similar. Thanks all!

• Like 2

I've got a 10:15 out of MIA Monday May 9. Only 2 ships in port (mine scheduled at 6am, the other 8am). Carrying off, not checking luggage, global entry/TSA precheck, refundable one-way fare from SW. The next nonstop flight isn't for 9.5 hours. If I miss I may try for a flight from FLL which has a lot more nonstop departures that day ( 3 from 12:30-5:45).

Edited by twins_to_alaska

25 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I've got a 10:15 out of MIA Monday May 9. Only 2 ships in port (mine scheduled at 6am, the other 8am). Carrying off, not checking luggage, global entry/TSA precheck, refundable one-way fare from SW. The next nonstop flight isn't for 9.5 hours. If I miss I may try for a flight from FLL which has a lot more nonstop departures that day ( 3 from 12:30-5:45).

I think you probably can and it I had not been able to change for free I would have kept mine. But since I could I switched. With my luck we will be there at 8:15 sitting until noon...LOL

I had a problem my cruise in November. I could have made an early flight but had booked later.. and it was the only flight delayed at FLL! 3+ more hours of waiting before it took off. I spent the time on the top of one of their parking garages that had sun shade areas. If I'd have booked the earlier flight I would have been home before the later one was originally scheduled to depart. But it was a beautiful day.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

5 hours ago, Sherman793 said:

I was able to modify my flight to noon this morning. No sense in stressing. We are TSA but flying home a couple months ago from Orlando was awful even with TSA so I imagine this will be similar. Thanks all!

Good choice. I would never chance it. MIA in November post cruise had huge security lines

On 3/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, Sherman793 said:

Hi All! Anyone with some real world experience that can tell me if 10:15 out of MIA with a walk off departure sounds doable. I went back pages but did not see this one. Thanks in advance!

yes.  I left the Symphony at 710am.  Am currently at my gate in MIA at 8am.  We fly AA.  Have TSA pre check and priority AA.  We self disembarked.  

Also in Miami facial recognition so you basically show your face and walk out.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1