Global Entry Application Wait Times.

Entropy

Ahoy,

My wife and I applied for Global Entry in the beginning of December. She was invited to an interview in just days while I'm still waiting for my review. We're cruising at the end of May so I'm begining to wonder if I'll have the card by then.

What are others experiencing for their wait times?

11 minutes ago, Entropy said:

Ahoy,

My wife and I applied for Global Entry in the beginning of December. She was invited to an interview in just days while I'm still waiting for my review. We're cruising at the end of May so I'm begining to wonder if I'll have the card by then.

Time for “conditional approval” can vary significantly for a wide variety of reasons (or, apparently, no reason at all). For example, on an initial application, CBP response could be delayed due to an item on your application requiring additional scrutiny or consideration. Likewise, renewal response times can vary even though nothing of significance has changed over the five year span. I know this for a fact.

18 hours ago, Entropy said:

She was invited to an interview in just days while I'm still waiting for my review.

Don't feel bad, the same thing happened to me.  My significant other had their renewal happen quite quickly and mine took about 9 months on a renewal.  I am still trying to decide if it was me or if it was something else.  I confess to having a common surname which has caused me issues in other reviews.

Yes.  I need to renew this year, but I hear they have extended them for a year.  The only time it really saved us time was flying back to the US from Nassau.  If I need an interview I will do what I did originally:  fly JAX to Miami on a day trip and do it at the airport.  EM

19 hours ago, Entropy said:

Ahoy,

You don't need the physical card for GE to work. You just need the number which you will get on  the approval letter. When we first applied in 2016 we were interviewed. By the time we got home (45 minutes or so) our approval letters were waiting for us in our email.  Once you get the number you can add it to airline sites so you get TSA Precheck.  GE is automatically associated to your passport. If you get a new passport you go into the GE website and update your passport number. We renewed our GE online in the summer of 2021 and neither of us needed to be reinterviewed and the renewal was approved in less than a week. The only time I've ever used the physical GE card was when my drivers license didn't show my full name and my GE card did (license now shows my full name) and I was flying. You cannot use the GE card to go thru TSA precheck if your boarding pass does not say TSA Precheck (happened to us once). 

Edited by Traveling Library

My initial GE and first renewal went quickly.  The third one, they made me go for an interview.  The "interview" took all of less than 5 minutes and I had my approval there at the window.  I had to get a new picture taken...

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My initial GE and first renewal went quickly.  The third one, they made me go for an interview.  The "interview" took all of less than 5 minutes and I had my approval there at the window.  I had to get a new picture taken...

The difference is getting the interview appointment (if required) -- JFK seems to have the longest required lead time in the general NYC area, and did not accept walk-ins - while Bradley was wide open -- we were in and out in 15 minutes as walk-ins.

16 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

So just to be clear, this program is for frequent international travelers so that they can get thru airports/customs quicker than your average traveler?

The benefits can accrue to even casual travelers depending on how you value your time.  It doesn't take too many runs through a big airport to see the advantages of global entry,    Global Entry also provides easier security screening at airports for domestic travel as well.  

I live on the border with Mexico and cross all the time.  My life wouldn't work the same if it wasn't for the Global Entry program.

1 minute ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I could see that.  I'm projecting maybe 2 international trips per year for this year and moving forward so I'm not sure it may be worthwhile but certainly something to consider.

You pay about $100 for 5 years.  To me, it's a heck of a bargain given that just getting precheck is $85 for the same period.  Depending on how you value your time, one long line at the end or beginning of a trip can make it worthwhile.

I personally view my Global Entry card as one of my most valuable possessions.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The difference is getting the interview appointment (if required) -- JFK seems to have the longest required lead time in the general NYC area, and did not accept walk-ins - while Bradley was wide open -- we were in and out in 15 minutes as walk-ins.

My initial interview I went to las Vegas - turned it into a weekend. It's an hour flight and at that time, it was actually the closest interview location.

This time, I went down to Salt Lake - waited a few weeks for the 5 minute interview.  But, it was during my work season, so I didn't mind the wait.   

So, I'm getting the idea that, like my Drivers license, they want to see people in person once in awhile.

For all of you that live far away from an interview center, the CBP has introduced an new online interview process as a pilot program.

Here is the link: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-introduces-remote-interview-pilot-trusted-traveler-programs

My neighbor did their renewal interview this way as a means of getting the interview accomplished more rapidly than was possible in our always swamped center at the border. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

For all of you that live far away from an interview center, the CBP has introduced an new online interview process as a pilot program.

Here is the link: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-introduces-remote-interview-pilot-trusted-traveler-programs

My neighbor did their renewal interview this way as a means of getting the interview accomplished more rapidly than was possible in our always swamped center at the border. 

The “pilot” tele-interview appears to be limited when someone with conditional approval goes to select a date. I’m not sure if it’s related to which airport you want but, searching the CBP web (once signed in) shows the tele-interviews calendar for SFO but all dates are blocked. Regular in-person interviews are about three months out.

That said,  the vast range of time to receive just the “conditional approval” of the Global Entry application (especially for renewals) is a real “head-scratcher.” Some folks hear immediately while for others it take months. I certainly can understand the need to comb through some applications that include errors or have missing info, responses requiring investigation or other additional scrutiny. And I can certainly appreciate it if an authority provides a reason why an application may take longer than “usual.” But, it appears that there is no explanatory correspondence to folks (new or renewal) who are facing the longer delays.  IMO, better communication would be a welcomed addition to the process.

5 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I could see that.  I'm projecting maybe 2 international trips per year for this year and moving forward so I'm not sure it may be worthwhile but certainly something to consider.

While it does save some time when returning from international travel, it also saves you up to a half hour hour every time you check in for a domestic flight - because it grants you automatic "Precheck"

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The GE card also gives you another piece of government-issued ID.  No personal info on it (address, birthdate..)

Your birthdate is on the GE card. It also lists your citizenship.  I wish they would recognize as a proof of citizenship.  EM

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Your birthdate is on the GE card. It also lists your citizenship.  I wish they would recognize as a proof of citizenship.  EM

I stand corrected.  I just pulled mine out of my wallet to look at it.  

Back when GE started, I loved to pull it out to show at TSA - they'd say it wasn't a valid ID.  I considered it a teaching moment - told them to get the book with the IDs listed and look at #13 (I think it was).   Now, I still use it for TSA but they don't bat an eyelash. It's moved up to #4 on the list now.   Yes, I was one of those who declined the backscatter Xray and the nude-o-scope...

On 3/1/2022 at 10:02 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Time for “conditional approval” can vary significantly for a wide variety of reasons (or, apparently, no reason at all). For example, on an initial application, CBP response could be delayed due to an item on your application requiring additional scrutiny or consideration. Likewise, renewal response times can vary even though nothing of significance has changed over the five year span. I know this for a fact.

I don't know what they could be looking at. I have a Federal Q clearance that is much more extensive.

Still, I keep checking every day.

It didn't take me that long but I'll probably continue to use mobile pass which is an app, last couple times it got me through faster than the people using global entry (look for Mobile Passport by Airside) in the app store. Check to see if you can use it at your airport/state. NYC JFK is where I've used it twice.

FYI: https://mobilepassport.us/

For the record, I applied in Early December, got conditional approval yesterday, mid March and the first interview appointments for SFO are in mid July. Could be worse, next LAX appointments are in December.

We're returning from Canada in June. I believe that we can do the interview on arrival process then and save a trip.

2 hours ago, Entropy said:

For the record, I applied in Early December, got conditional approval yesterday, mid March and the first interview appointments for SFO are in mid July. Could be worse, next LAX appointments are in December.

We're returning from Canada in June. I believe that we can do the interview on arrival process then and save a trip.

Was/is yours a renewal or initial application?

Just to add my experience.  Applied on Jan 1 for renewal and got conditional approval on Jan 3.  Told I could do Zoom or in person, but have up to 2 years to complete the interview.  Decided to finally look into an appointment..no Zoom appointments at all through 2023.  Wonder if this was a pilot that they shut down.  Got the earliest appointment for LAX at the end of December.

My DH applied a couple of hours after I did on Jan 1 for his renewal.  He is still waiting for his approval, conditional or otherwise.  No clue as to why.  

We did our interview via Enrollment on Arrival at YYC last year and had a great experience.  We arrived at the airport three hours before departure and Customs was not very busy.  This may only apply to places like YYC where US Customs check-in is on departure.  One may be turned away or required to wait a long time as International flights seem to be group together at a lot of airports.