NO Venice for Explorer

I just booked yesterday because our Ritz Cruise was cancelled and it was the same Athens to Venice route with only a days difference.  We had already booked our flights and had our hearts set on seeing Croatia and Italy.  The cruise is now round trip to Athens and only does Greece and Turkey.  We are now in the process of cancelling.  I am so dissappointed.  I realize that ports are never guaranteed but a complete change is crazy.  I thought they might use Ravena or Trieste but not change the entire itinerary!

I totally Agree with you. So disappointed, original itinerary was what we wanted. Many of ports on new schedule we have been too. Embarking in Istanbul and staying another day in Istanbul is not good either, as we are doing the pre cruise stay in Istanbul. What’s happened to Using Trieste as a Port as they are doing with our April cruise. Will be cancelling tomorrow.

Well think about this—-we had a cruise from the South Pacific to Los Angeles a while back.  Got an email from Regent saying they made a small change.  The change was now South Pacific to Lima, Peru.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Thenagers said:

I just booked yesterday because our Ritz Cruise was cancelled and it was the same Athens to Venice route with only a days difference.  We had already booked our flights and had our hearts set on seeing Croatia and Italy.  The cruise is now round trip to Athens and only does Greece and Turkey.  We are now in the process of cancelling.  I am so dissappointed.  I realize that ports are never guaranteed but a complete change is crazy.  I thought they might use Ravena or Trieste but not change the entire itinerary!

We are also booked on this cruise (7 of us) and would never have chosen this itinerary!  Regent took out two of the most important ports——Venice and Croatia. Yes-disappointing. Looks like we will cancel. 

This is the most weird itinerary change I have seen lately. Ok no Venice, but no Marghera, Trieste or even Ravenna? Also when the repeat of the same ports in one single itinerary? Weren't they other destinations to add? Also 2 Overnights in a port is too much.... I understand why most of the people will cancel...

They haven't changed the 2023 cruises, yet.  I wish they would decide what they are doing so we might look at alternatives.  On our October voyager cruise Jerusalem to Venice, it has a stop in Kopar before an overnight in Venice.   Be nice to know if they will end in Trieste but I wouldn't necessarily want to overnight there.  I could catch the train and stay a couple nights in Venice (they should consider a land package to do this) it would be nice if they added another stop in croatia, an overnight in athens or another greek island.  

Does anyone know why Regent is not using one of the other ports from Venice. They have known since cruising begin in Europe last spring I think, that Venice had closed the Canal to cruise ships of any size. These changes are very drastic and seeming late in coming.

Huge disappointment! Two nights at each of three ports that so many have visited demonstrates a lack of initiative on the part of the planning staff. Whey not additional nights at ports in Cyprus and Crete, even if nights had to be spent at sea returning the following morning, would have made the altered itinerary far more worthwhile? I suspect we will cancel and believe that many others will also cancel.

We, too, have just received emails about change in Venice to Rome cruise this summer.  I have paid a small fortune for 6 family members to fly to Venice and booked 3 suites on Regent.   Now what??  Change flights at this late date with 6 people traveling together?  First cruise on Regent and thinking of canceling.

Very irritating!

Could be problematic if you booked your own flights.  We have a related problem as we end one cruise in Rome and get on the next cruise there.  We are trying to figure out what to do for a day in Rome as there may not be any excursions and Rome is an hour from the port.  We don't want to miss getting back on.  We have been to both Rome and Venice, so we aren't to upset with the change in ports.  Luckily we had Regent book these flights.  Who knows if there will be more changes in this crazy world!  We're from Texas as well, so we hope to see you onboard.

Spent all last evening getting my flights changed.  Very irritating as I had gotten the flights from Venice to home using miles at a very good price last year.  Now, this late the only flights for miles on AA were heart stoppingly expensive (400,000 per person one way!).  I was able to cancel my Venice flight and get those miles reinstated, but had to bankrupt my Chase points to get flights home from Rome.  But at least I will earn miles on those.

The frustration is that they have known about this at least since last year and didn't make a decision (or at least didn't announce it) till just now. 

We are in the same boat as many- extended family on this cruise. Incredibly disappointed.  6 of 11 ports changed. Why couldn't RSSC keep the same focus of the initial itinerary and keep/add ports in Italy and Croatia? We are definitely out.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what is going on, but I just read on the Oceania forum very similar complaints about Riviera‘s itinerary changes for some fall cruises. Itineraries were completely changed, Croatia dropped, also Venice dropped. Now Istanbul and Greece I think. Whatever is going on is probably much bigger than the Venice ban on cruise ships.

Venice has been public about no cruise ships for quite a while. 

I suspect that the other port cancellations or changes are collateral to St Petersburg or reflect regional concerns about Russia’s war. not a good time for a Black Sea cruise. The cruise lines certainly are facing challenges in getting restarted and cruisers are facing major changes in itineraries. Sorry for all.

We had something similar happen a few years back - had a cruise totally revamped due to unrest in Turkey.  Rather than just substitute a port to replace Istanbul they completely changed the itinerary.  In that particular case we decided to stay on the cruise and it turned out to be an excellent vacation.  But I know that's not always the case.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for making major changes to an existing itinerary just as I'm sure that Regent doesn't make those decisions lightly.  I'm sorry for everyone who is affected by these changes, it's really tough when you get keyed up for a vacation and it gets totally shuffled.

I hope you all find suitable substitutes and that it all works out for you...

• Like 1

Our Athens to Venice cruise a couple years ago had a significant itinerary change...pretty much everything except the starting and ending points.  We took it in stride and it turned out great.  They weren't the ports we planned for, but they were all wonderful and likely places we wouldn't have traveled to otherwise.  I'm happy we went along for it.

I don't really see cruising as a destination-based vacation (beyond the general area).  Even with no politics involved, a windy day can take a port right off the schedule.  We go for the time at sea, the ship and enjoy a few ports along the way.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 4:00 PM, ruthe17 said:

We are in the same boat as many- extended family on this cruise. Incredibly disappointed.  6 of 11 ports changed. Why couldn't RSSC keep the same focus of the initial itinerary and keep/add ports in Italy and Croatia? We are definitely out.

yes, quite the disappointment. Assumed ship was leaving from Trieste as Venice was out, but that was ok. Wanted to see the ports along the Croation Serbian Coast and Corfu. Funny thing is that Regent still list the Hotel in Venice as our pre cruise night (but we are in Athens 🙂 ). Also excursions we had booked are now gone as the port has change day of arrival. Seems to be a mess.  And then later in October, Trieste (Venice ) is back again. So it's just a temporary "not going to Trieste" ? We almost had booked flights with extended stays before...glad we didn't. Usually Regent is proactive, but this is odd. And my TA is quiet as well. Odd again.

I find it interesting that so much of what is being taken out for this cruise we are still doing next month? We leave from Trieste, the Zadar then Kotor. I wish they would explain a little more of why it's ok for our ship and not yours? 

Gcto, I’ve noticed the same with our booking - still lists hotel in Venice as arrival.

I called Regent today (Saturday) after not being able to get our usual Regent agent Friday.  

I was told we could get entire deposit back if we cancel.  Can anyone confirm?

Does she mean future cruise credit or refund?

Final payment was changed to 60 days on our July 3rd Venice to Rome on Explorer ( now Athens to Rome).  Standard cancellation should apply if before final payment date so you should get cash refund except for $100 admin fee which can be applied to another cruise and loss of air deviation fee if paid.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, LvnCruisin said:

I find it interesting that so much of what is being taken out for this cruise we are still doing next month? We leave from Trieste, the Zadar then Kotor. I wish they would explain a little more of why it's ok for our ship and not yours? 

I'd imagine it might have something to do with port availability or something similar.  If another ship or two is scheduled to dock the same day they may not have space or enough tour operators.  Lots of pieces to the overall puzzle, I'd guess...

• Like 1