Is anyone else wondering about May 2022 Black Sea Cruise?

fizook

2 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Access to Sea is controlled by Turkey.

Are you sure?  I thought that stretch of water was an international waterway.

Agree about not being able to return to Sevastopol and Sochi.  Interesting ports; Yalta and Odessa were on my bucket list of places to visit.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Are you sure?  I thought that stretch of water was an international waterway.

Agree about not being able to return to Sevastopol and Sochi.  Interesting ports; Yalta and Odessa were on my bucket list of places to visit.  

There is a treaty in place that generally makes the waterway open but Turkey retains the authority to close it in the case of war.    

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

There is a treaty in place that generally makes the waterway open but Turkey retains the authority to close it in the case of war.    

How would Turkey do so?  Sailing through the Suez Canal, I witnessed barriers on shore that could be dragged across the waterway to block the Canal.  Didn't see anything like that when I sailed through that waterway into/out of the Black Sea.  

On 3/19/2022 at 11:12 PM, brittany12 said:

This is a terrific new itinerary. So many  Greek ports,  IMHO, its the Greek islands that are so interesting.  I wish my upcoming Greek Islands cruise had more of Greece.

It’s a repeat of last year’s rescheduled Black Sea cruise, no point doing it again.

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How would Turkey do so?  Sailing through the Suez Canal, I witnessed barriers on shore that could be dragged across the waterway to block the Canal.  Didn't see anything like that when I sailed through that waterway into/out of the Black Sea.  

The Bosphorus Straits could easily be blocked using blocked using naval assets.  The Straits are very narrow and any ship trying to run the Straits would be easy targets for shore based weapons.   If this article is accurate Turkey has already closed the Straits to war ships.   https://news.usni.org/2022/02/28/turkey-closes-bosphorus-dardanelles-straits-to-warships  Any attempt to forcefully transit the Straits would most probably be considered an act of war and that would trigger a NATO response.   

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

The Bosphorus Straits could easily be blocked using blocked using naval assets.  The Straits are very narrow and any ship trying to run the Straits would be easy targets for shore based weapons.   If this article is accurate Turkey has already closed the Straits to war ships.   https://news.usni.org/2022/02/28/turkey-closes-bosphorus-dardanelles-straits-to-warships  Any attempt to forcefully transit the Straits would most probably be considered an act of war and that would trigger a NATO response.   

Thank you for posting this link.  Interesting reading.