New to Oceania with Riviera Dining Questions

lel5344

1 hour ago, di T said:

Also have travelled many many times with Celebrity but this year just one b2b with them and next year we will try O after the last two years I decided we deserve to try some of the more up market cruises! Food is our favourite pastime😂

Agree with you. We are the same. I am very picky eater. If I say something is good, others usually say it is fantastic.

We have done a ton of Celeb cruises and some b2b with them as well. When they introduced suites and separate dining for suite guest and those in steerage, the food quality and taste sharply declined, especially in the MDR. I found I could no longer eat there. Turkey became iridescent processed slices, onion soup no longer resembled what we were used to, etc. We would often go to the Buffet for dinner. There they would make me something fresh, salmon, a chick breast and once even a piece of filet mignon. 

We have been to many places. In fact everywhere that I would fly to. So now I would rather do less cruises but want to have "the best food at sea". The two O cruises we have done , had exactly that, the best food at sea. Hope things dont change on O. 

leaving my email of you want to be in touch ...

johthomas100z at gmail dot com 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, jonthomas said:

Agree with you. We are the same. I am very picky eater. If I say something is good, others usually say it is fantastic.

We have done a ton of Celeb cruises and some b2b with them as well. When they introduced suites and separate dining for suite guest and those in steerage, the food quality and taste sharply declined, especially in the MDR. I found I could no longer eat there. Turkey became iridescent processed slices, onion soup no longer resembled what we were used to, etc. We would often go to the Buffet for dinner. There they would make me something fresh, salmon, a chick breast and once even a piece of filet mignon. 

We have been to many places. In fact everywhere that I would fly to. So now I would rather do less cruises but want to have "the best food at sea". The two O cruises we have done , had exactly that, the best food at sea. Hope things dont change on O. 

leaving my email of you want to be in touch ...

johthomas100z at gmail dot com 

We actually had excellent MDR food on a Seattle based Celeb M class ship last summer, possible the 1/3 capacity was part of it, but honestly while less fancy, the fish and meat mains were perfectly cooked.  Desserts were meh, but variety in cafes and other venues was excellent, fresh baked items also excellent. Loving our current Oceana and recent Regent cruise (better food), but Celeb was solid last year IMHO.

Edited by Pizzasteve

• 2 weeks later...

We do 2-topers and have never had to wait long. The thing is, if you add up the capacity of the MDR, the specialty restaurants, and the terrace cafe, that total is considerably larger than the maximum number of passengers. Factor in those eating in their rooms, and those dining late, you'll see there should never be a problem!

On 3/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, ORV said:

You might want to enjoy pizza at home, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with what Oceania serves. I'm sure some will disagree with me. They do a lot of food great, pizza is not one of them, at least as for what I like. 

I prefer thin crust pizza so it works for me but honestly, why eat pizza when there’s so many other good things to eat!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, di T said:

Also have travelled many many times with Celebrity but this year just one b2b with them and next year we will try O after the last two years I decided we deserve to try some of the more up market cruises! Food is our favourite pastime😂

Yes, it’s interesting to see how we’ve progressed.  We went from Princess to Celebrity to Oceania.  We love it.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:29 PM, lel5344 said:

Are the menus in the specialty dining venues always the same?

Yes. In Toscana there will be a Chef's Special each night. It's usually a fresh pasta dish.  I cannot recall if the other specialties offer a daily special, I think they do.

The Toscana menu has many more items, and more complex elaborate items, than the Celebrity Tuscan Grill. X seems more like a Italian chain restaurant menu. O has a full Lobster pasta dish or a giant Veal chop.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, jonthomas said:

Yes, ORV I have to agree with you on this one. But I am glad that the pizza is just so so, there is so much else that is so good. Pizza I can eat at home. LOL

I found the pizza and the cookies on Riviera to be mediocre.  Oddly, Princess has the best pizza in my experience.

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I found the pizza and the cookies on Riviera to be mediocre.  Oddly, Princess has the best pizza in my experience.

The best Pizza I ever had  was on a now defunct cruise line if any of you remember Sitmar..the first cruise I ever took was on the Fairsea

Jancruz1

45 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

yes agreed...didnt have any cookies...but there is so much else...like all the soufflés...lol.

I ordered a souffles every night I was in the main dining room.  Always good.  Almost all of the food was the best I have had on a ship.  Lots of shrimp and lobster available.