NCL Testing Done at Port Prior to Embarkation

IndyColts84

I'm sorry, at work and trying to minimize non-work-related distractions! We are trying to make a "last minute" booking on the Bliss for 3/20.  Flying in late 3/19 to LA, working all day the 18th and being small town peeps we do not have any options for pre-testing.  At this point, I just want to wash my hands of the pre-cruise test hassle and show up to port and accept NCL port testing at whatever cost.  Question, has anybody done something similar and how was your experience.  We are completely vaxxed and boosted for what it's worth and both our jobs still have all kinds of social distancing practices in place so I feel exceptionally confident we will pass the test with flying colors.  Just looking for any experience or guidance with this plan! Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Suite Heart said:

Hi!

My PCC said that testing at the Port of Miami is around $125. That's the route I have to take because I'm traveling for 3 days prior to the cruise, so I am beyond the 48-hour limit.

I know thePCR test was $125. I would think an antigen test is less, but I don’t know.

As at least one other person mentioned the emed procotered home tests are a great solution. I flew from Nashville to LA late January for two cruises. I took my proctored home test for the first cruise before I left home and packed the second home test I would need for the second cruise about a week later. I took the second test from my hotel room. As long as you have a smart phone and internet connection you can pretty much take the test anywhere and the whole process won't take more than 30 minutes from the time you start to the finish after the 15 minute wait for the results. Within a very few minutes the results is posted to the NAVICA app which you show to the cruise line as proof of a negative test. These tests are just $99 for 3 of them or $70 for two. I always get an extra in case something goes wrong.

The emed tests work well.  We have used our home computer but many people use their laptop or cell phones.  Perhaps you could do one on a lunch break from work.  Or before you leave for the airport.  At least then you will know you have a negative test before you fly.

I agree with the other poster than extra tests kits are a good idea (though I have not needed my back ups, knock on wood).  The online sources (same proctor service/same app) are optum store or emed… be sure you order the tests that include telehealth/proctor.

I know the new testing system just started, but I was also wondering how testing at the pier now works?

We have already received our test kits from emed, and plan on using them before our cruise in a couple of weeks. The availability of testing at the pier is good for a back up plan, if there is some glitch when doing the home test. I realize it is more expensive then the home tests, but it sure sounds convenient for people who are very busy ahead of time, or traveling in a few days early. 

• Like 1