Onboard credits for shore excursions

lel5344

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Wasn’t giving you a hard time. Just making sure folks who read this thread understand that, due to the cart glitches, it is important to do the math yourself to see that it’s bottom line is the same as yours.

And, while some folks want their TA to handle it, my preference on this item is to call O direct.

Not a problem, Flatbush.  Yes, as you say, it's important to do the math in each case and check it against the cart.

15 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

That fascinating O math where spending $300 per is "free". Their definition of "free" and my definition of "free" differ in regard to that $300 pp.

I think most of us just roll our eyes at O's marketing of O-Life.  But if you use it to your advantage, you can still get a good deal.

• Like 6

If an island is missed and you have a an O tour booked, don't assume you will automatically get a credit on your shop board account. On our March 18th cruise, Martinique was skipped and we had to go down on the penultimate day and request our 100 dollar credit.

2 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

If an island is missed and you have a an O tour booked, don't assume you will automatically get a credit on your shop board account. On our March 18th cruise, Martinique was skipped and we had to go down on the penultimate day and request our 100 dollar credit.

You didn’t have to request it. Destination Services $ adjustments for tours cancelled by O are most often posted automatically on the penultimate day or close to it ($100 for an O Life allotment tour and paid $ amount for paid tours).

On 3/4/2022 at 2:37 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Choose the excursions option for your O Life perk. If the O Life SBC option is $600 per cabin the tours option will instead be 6 tours per cabin (ergo basic value at $100 each). However, the allowable tours to pick from can retail for up to $199 each (and no OE or OS designation on the tour number). Thus, if you select the most expensive allowable tours that interest you, the value of the $600 perk can be almost doubled to just under $1200!

At the same time, on the first page of the shore excursions PDF (accompanies your O invoice email) and in your account on the O web (in the ship for tours section) it will tell you how many minimum tours per person you must order (including your O Life ones) to qualify for the YWYW 25% discount on any paid ones in the group. 
We pretty much always do this and then add some private tours from certain providers in certain locations.

Do not take the O Life SBC. The extra cost of O Life fare with SBC and without air is exactly the same as the O “cruise only” fare plus the value of the SBC. (It’s a “wash.” You are paying for the SBC upfront). Only the tours or booze O Life options have any real extra value.

I could go on but, I (and others) have posted extensive notes here on the CC O forum regarding O Life strategies, air fare, booze, Platinum Cruise etc. Use the search feature here and you’ll find every answer a newbie needs. 

Can I ask what "YWYW" stands for?  I've been reading through this thread and finding the information fascinating.  I recently booked an Oceania cruise without OLife and then was shocked to see how much the tours were listed for.  I'm thinking of going with OLife (without air) for my next booking and want to get it "right" this time.

1 hour ago, comcox said:

Can I ask what "YWYW" stands for?  I've been reading through this thread and finding the information fascinating.  I recently booked an Oceania cruise without OLife and then was shocked to see how much the tours were listed for.  I'm thinking of going with OLife (without air) for my next booking and want to get it "right" this time.

YWYW means Your World Your Way. 

Regarding O Life choices for singles traveling.  I just booked on "O" as a single supplement.  I had the choice of $600 shipboard credit, 3 excursions (worth Under $200. each), or the basic drink package.

In this situation, what makes more sense?  I am traveling with a small group of people who have been to the med many times and don't necessarily do the excursions that O provided.  

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

Regarding O Life choices for singles traveling.  I just booked on "O" as a single supplement.  I had the choice of $600 shipboard credit, 3 excursions (worth Under $200. each), or the basic drink package.

In this situation, what makes more sense?  I am traveling with a small group of people who have been to the med many times and don't necessarily do the excursions that O provided.  

If you don't make use of the excursion option and don't drink a lot what makes most sense is booking without Olife.  Giving them $600 to get a non-refundable $600 shipboard credit is your worst option.  

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

If you don't make use of the excursion option and don't drink a lot what makes most sense is booking without Olife.  Giving them $600 to get a non-refundable $600 shipboard credit is your worst option.  

Sorry, I should have mentioned I didn't book with O'Life.  I believe I was given the $600 since I booked a single supplement. 

55 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I didn't book with O'Life.  I believe I was given the $600 since I booked a single supplement. 

Did you take the O air??

Maybe it is the air credit if not

What does it say next to the amount on your invoice  that will be the clue