Crossing NYC to Bermuda + Bermuda to Halifax, Nova Scotia - how ruff?

WESTEAST

Looking at a September 2022 cruise and would appreciate feedback on how ruff are these Atlantic crossings.  Checked Bermuda website for hurricane information: https://www.bermuda4u.com/essential/climate/hurricanes/ - official season is June to November though in recent years September and October were the most impacted. This may also be a deterrent for us.  We've crossed the Tasman Sea which can be a ruff crossing and was as smooth as glass so one never knows.  Any input welcome. Thank you.

Seas can be rough or smooth any day of the year. August, September and October are the peak tropical storm/hurricane months in the North Atlantic. We've cruised to both Bermuda and Canada often at that time of the year and sometimes the sea was so calm you didn't know the ship was underway and at other times we were rocking and rolling. No one can possibly predict what the weather will be.

You are asking for a weather forecast. As you say about the Tasman sea one never knows. If you cruise in September you increase the chances of rough seas. I stopped  cruising to Bermuda in September not because of rough seas, they don't bother me much,  but because the hurricanes caused almost all cruises I booked that month to delay in New York or leave Bermuda early. Also a storm does not need to go near Bermuda to effect the itinerary. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on a cruise to Bermuda from Boston. Seas were so rough on the prior voyage the Halifax pilot stayed on the ship and flew home from Boston next day. We are from Halifax so we got chatting to him when we boarded. He was so lovely. Said it was a very rough night and lots of folks using the little bags. 

Our cruise was like glass.  Early October So it really does depend on mother nature 

• Like 1

I’ve done NYC to Bermuda and Boston to Bermuda at last count 14 times.
Going again next week as we live in RI and can drive to the ship easily (especially Boston) 

In our experience it’s never a smooth ride. Sorry but I’m being truthful. If you’re used to cruising in the Caribbean don’t expect it to be like that.
A couple of times I was very seasick to the point I couldn’t get out of bed. (both times in the month of May before hurricane season officially begins) 

But it doesn’t stop me from going, I’m just much better at controlling the seasickness now. 

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

But it doesn’t stop me from going, I’m just much better at controlling the seasickness now. 

How do you control your seasickness? My husband is prone to it and we were planning on getting dramamine but I'd love any other suggestions you might have.  TIA!

48 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

How do you control your seasickness? My husband is prone to it and we were planning on getting dramamine but I'd love any other suggestions you might have.  TIA!

It’s awful. I’ve had motion sickness since I was a child.
Years ago on a cruise someone recommended Motioneaze to me.

It’s an all natural topical oil that you put behind the ear.  
No side effects and the good thing about it is that it works even after motion sickness starts, which a lot of OTC meds don’t.
You can find it on Amazon. Here’s the link and if you have a HSA or FSA card you can use that to pay for it 

Motioneaze- Natural Motion Sickness Relief - 5ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXZV5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_APFHNVJV85B4TBFH2FZF

But sometimes on the Bermuda cruises if the seas are predicted to be rough I will have to put on a prescription patch. 

• Thanks 1

We did a late July cruise a few years ago and it was very rough.  Pools were closed, no shows.  They wouldn't even let people outside to smoke.  We are booked again this May hoping it will be a little more calm but you never know.

1 hour ago, janetmojo said:

We did a late July cruise a few years ago and it was very rough.  Pools were closed, no shows.  They wouldn't even let people outside to smoke.  We are booked again this May hoping it will be a little more calm but you never know.

Actually more likely to be calm in July. But as you say you never know.