Whale Watching, Icy Straight Point or Juneau?

ojaidenny

Have only been to Juneau and the whale watching is great. Hoping that it is as good in ISP. From what I've read (and in preparation for our stop in ICP in August I've read a lot), people say that it is great there too. Which might then come down to whether there are other things you would want to do in one or the other of the places. 

I am currently biased toward ISP.  Last September we were in both ports.  While the whale watching trip out of Juneau was very nice it was in ISP that we saw 90 (yes folks  --  that wasn't a typo -- ninety) minutes of bubble feeding.  I told my husband that I don't think we can ever do another whale watching trip as nothing in the future will match that experience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am currently biased toward ISP.  Last September we were in both ports.  While the whale watching trip out of Juneau was very nice it was in ISP that we saw 90 (yes folks  --  that wasn't a typo -- ninety) minutes of bubble feeding.  I told my husband that I don't think we can ever do another whale watching trip as nothing in the future will match that experience.

Who did you use?

Personally I'd be more inclined to ask 'what else would I do if I did not go whale-watching?' in each - as both have 100% whale sightings, and regardless of who you pay what the whales do is totally up to them, not the boat captains ;-)

Juneau has a lot more options, but maybe you're a fan of really long ziplines - which only ISP offers between the pair of them.

• Like 1

I vote for both, since the more time you are on the water, the better your chances of seeing whales. If only one is an option, see whales in ISP with Glacier Wind charters. Small boats ( 6 & 13 passengers), locally owned and will get you to where the whales are. 

54 minutes ago, martincath said:

Personally I'd be more inclined to ask 'what else would I do if I did not go whale-watching?' in each - as both have 100% whale sightings, and regardless of who you pay what the whales do is totally up to them, not the boat captains 😉

Juneau has a lot more options, but maybe you're a fan of really long ziplines - which only ISP offers between the pair of them.

This is my thought too - our cruise visits both, so we booked whale watching at ISP since we also want to see Mendenhall Glacier and the museums in Juneau.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, hawk1972 said:

I highly recommend Glacier Wind Charters in ISP for whale watching. Small boats and personalized attention. We have our 2nd trip booked for September. 

Do you recommend either the 6-person or 13-person charters?

thnx, Jim😎

• Like 1

Glacier Wind is an excellent company for whale watching.  We have done numerous trips with them and always had a great time.  We will be going with them in August and look forward to trying their 13-person boat -- a first for us.

On 3/6/2022 at 4:06 PM, ojaidenny said:

Planning a cruise in September, looking for pros and cons on Icy Straight Point or Juneau for 

Whale Watching. 

Thanks, 

We also did a whale watch from ISP. It was amazing.