Help! Just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

8 hours ago, novicetraveller said:

"Cut out sugar completely" or "Avoid these foods". These types of advice can be dangerous

Funny those exact words came out of my own physician's mouth.  I don't think she would advise me to do anything dangerous at all.  I tried to "eat moderately" for ten years sneaking a few carbs in and out.  The numbers just kept getting worse.  But to each their own.  My mantra is, educate yourself...thoroughly, about carbs and the inflammation  they can cause the body...then you do you.  I follow Dr. Anthony Chaffee on You Tube, he is pretty much the proof in the sugar free pudding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Funny those exact words came out of my own physician's mouth.  I don't think she would advise me to do anything dangerous at all.  I tried to "eat moderately" for ten years sneaking a few carbs in and out.  The numbers just kept getting worse.  But to each their own.  My mantra is, educate yourself...thoroughly, about carbs and the inflammation  they can cause the body...then you do you.  I follow Dr. Anthony Chaffee on You Tube, he is pretty much the proof in the sugar free pudding.

Let me add a post caveat to my post.... "Unless your Medical Professional says so". I agree that medical professionals would never tell you to do anything dangerous. My original comment was aimed at being careful in taking advice from those who read up on Dr Google in order to dish out the advice.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, MOSusan said:

Any tips on cruising with Type 2.  Foods that I can eat?  Drinks?  etc.  I feel fine, have no issues but I don't want to tempt fate by  doing things I shouldn't.  Right now I don't know way more than I know.  

Thanks for any input that my fellow cruisers might be able to give to me.

Be careful with all the "sugar free" options. Many people can not tolerate the sugar alchohol they use for sweetener. (You will know if it causes you problems if you can not leave your cabin bathroom the next day.) After years of cruising as a diabetic, I have found a bite or two of a real dessert is a much better choice. And salad is your friend. Eat all the protein you want but enjoy with a salad. Even a couple slices of pizza will not raise your numbers if you include a big salad. Then, walk a lot! I have actually lowered my A1c after a b2b cruise by booking an aft cabin. You are forced to walk to everything and just that exercise will improve your numbers. I hope this helps!

On 3/10/2022 at 5:49 AM, Kathscof said:

I got a cgm  2 years ago (super helpful as a t1) and my doctor was like “you gs on hand to get your sugars up, juices, glucose tablets, smarties” and I said “SMARTIES!” Cuz carrying around juice isn’t very practical and glucose tablets aren’t as exciting as candy hahahahah they’re my go to 🙂 

Quarter size smarties are cheaper than glucose tablets too.

6 hours ago, MOSusan said:

Thank you but I didn't really want to join your club.  🙂  Thankfully, I am not on insulin.  I take a pill once a day and it is the lowest dosage of this particular drug.  My doctor gave me the diagnosis over the phone and we will have a follow up appointment where I will probably learn more about what is going on, how to check my blood sugar, etc.  Right now I haven't started any finger pricking yet to test.

in this case I wouldn't bother with extra insurance and telling your stateroom attendant about your dx. If your diabetes is this mild, then, imho, you don't need to be so extra during the cruise. We get standard cruise insurance coverage through the cruise line. Now being a recovering BC patient is different, though, that you will have to decide for yourself.

All we do differently when my dad cruises with us is order more protein and less carbs at MDR and make sure to order lower sugar, no sugar or no sugar added dessert for him. My dad cannot help himself, unfortunately, since his food addiction is stronger than his fear of diabetes and its complications. At this time he doesn't need insulin, so there is that. 

My BFF's mom is type 1 and she cruises ALL THE TIME (we've done many cruises with them). She is in her late 70s and has been on insulin forever, of course. She makes very wise choices in MDR, which includes sugar free desserts, and eats a great variety of healthy foods. Making it to late 70s with type 1 diabetes in pretty good health is quite significant in my book.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

I'm barely a Type 2 as my A1C has run between 5.9 and 6.7 over the past few years.  I take one metformin every night and also take CinSulin capsules.  I check my blood sugar about 1-2 times a week to be sure I'm staying in the normal range.  Reading food labels is very important - you don't realize how many carbs some foods have!  I mostly follow a low carb intermittent fasting way of eating but take a break when I'm on a vacation.  I choose to "cheat in moderation" while on vacation and get right back to my eating schedule when I get home.  A few days with a few more carbs and sweets have yet to alter my A1C.  Depravation is the worst thing you can do - life is too short to not enjoy some of the good things (and foods) in moderation.  There are so many "diabetic friendly" foods these days so you can still have that ice cream and cheesecake!  It will get easier as you learn how to deal with it all.  Enjoy your cruise!!

P.S.  You still need carbs every day for energy.  Just try to lean more towards the GOOD carbs (google is your friend!).  A cardiologist I know told me to not eat anything WHITE - no white flour, white rice, white potatoes, etc.  Easier said than done but I now make better choices most of the time.

Edited by RNCindy
added text
  • Like 2

If anyone is interested in educating yourself to the dangers of carbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=AICVJN9cPpM&t=718shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9kwPr3IboM

These are licensed physicians, give it a try and watch these pod casts.  It really works.  The first one is a doctor who has eaten this way for 13 years.  She looks great if you ask me.  The second, well it's self explanatory and he's not bad to look at either! 🤩

Edited by BecciBoo

I only got halfway thru this thread... But what I did not see anyone say was to add veggies (inplace of the starches) 

I always order a siide plate of veggies. On the first night, with traditional dining, I let the waiter know I will need a side plate of veggies each night. I'll eat any green veggie. which makes it easier vs all my likes and dislikes 

On my cruise last month my DH and my sister kept grabbing veggies off my plate!! 😂 The waiter noticed and brought another plate that night and a larger plate a of veggies each night after 🤣😂🤣

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RNCindy said:

There are so many "diabetic friendly" foods these days so you can still have that ice cream and cheesecake!

One thing I've learned is just because something says "diabetic friendly" doesn't mean it's good (or better) to eat.  Continue to look at nutrition facts.  What I was told was ignore the "net carb" claims (ie: "Only 5 Net Carbs!") and just look at the total count.

As PP said, everyone is going to be different and how bodies react to the same food will differ.  It takes some experimentation.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too am type 2. I have drastically altered my diet and no longer ear bread at home. I’m not a dessert person and I watch my sugar intake. I met w a diabetic nurse educator and a nutritionist and when I do eat carbs I always pair it with protein. 
I also changed my alcoholic intake as well, I purchased the drink package for my April cruise. I only drink clear liquor and only with sparkling water or on the rocks. 
i am not at the stage where I have to test, I am on a very low dose of metformin once a day. I will be as strict on vacay as I am at home but I will be mindful of my choices.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

But what I did not see anyone say was to add veggies (inplace of the starches) 

🙂 I am sorry, but I don't cruise to eat veggies. 🙂 We only cruise once or twice a year for a week, and I'll be darned if I load up on veggies during the two weeks a year when I can just have all the seafood and steaks I can eat instead. And my downfall, my nemesis, my guilty pleasure - Fettuccine Alfredo. But it has to be really good, otherwise, I won't indulge in it. Thankfully, RCI doesn't have the same heavenly FA on their MDR menu that Princess has. Small blessings, I guess.

P.S. Please don't take it seriously.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 3:05 PM, MOSusan said:

Any tips on cruising with Type 2.  Foods that I can eat?  Drinks?  etc.  I feel fine, have no issues but I don't want to tempt fate by  doing things I shouldn't.  Right now I don't know way more than I know.  

Thanks for any input that my fellow cruisers might be able to give to me.

Take your meds. Enjoy your cruise.

Don’t obsess over food. Resume your diet at home. 

If anything, more protein, less carbs. You will get plenty of exercise walking around the ship. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I only got halfway thru this thread... But what I did not see anyone say was to add veggies (inplace of the starches) 

I always order a siide plate of veggies. On the first night, with traditional dining, I let the waiter know I will need a side plate of veggies each night. I'll eat any green veggie. which makes it easier vs all my likes and dislikes 

On my cruise last month my DH and my sister kept grabbing veggies off my plate!! 😂 The waiter noticed and brought another plate that night and a larger plate a of veggies each night after 🤣😂🤣

Same here!!! I always ask to have no potatoes or rice - but substitute with extra veggies. I also found the buffet good for choices too. I would never have the sugar free desserts - but would have a cheese plate - although sometimes gave it a miss when it started getting too boring!

I think its much easier keeping your sugar under control on a cruise due to the huge amount of choice that you have - and also the opportunities to get your steps up! (and all the stairs!!)

16 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

🙂 I am sorry, but I don't cruise to eat veggies. 🙂 We only cruise once or twice a year for a week, and I'll be darned if I load up on veggies during the two weeks a year when I can just have all the seafood and steaks I can eat instead. And my downfall, my nemesis, my guilty pleasure - Fettuccine Alfredo. But it has to be really good, otherwise, I won't indulge in it. Thankfully, RCI doesn't have the same heavenly FA on their MDR menu that Princess has. Small blessings, I guess.

P.S. Please don't take it seriously.

I agree with the the meats and seafood... I eat extra veggies at home as well in place of starches

• Like 2