Santa Barbara welcomes the return of cruise ships again

OlsSalt

On 3/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, OlsSalt said:

Port side is too shallow unfortunately -so  it does require tendering into the Santa Barbara harbor, but you get lovely views of the town and the surrounding hills and mountains coming in. 

Since this is a tender port, I assume that it is a "call" port and not a embarkation or disembarkation port?

2 hours ago, Keata said:

Here is the direct quote:

"Passengers must be fully vaccinated or provide a negative test result within 24 hours of coming on shore to visit. Cruise lines must also follow the CDC’s COVID-19 Program, and all captains must sign a separate agreement with the city to abide by all ecological guidelines affecting Santa Barbara waters."

Full article here:

https://www.independent.com/2022/03/09/santa-barbara-poised-to-end-two-year-stall-on-cruise-ships/

THANKS for posting this.  Its a bit different from other news releases I read yeterday, but it does make more sense and now I can hope that HAL updates its testing period to 3 days.

Here is part of yesterdays news release:

"...Several protocols will be in place once the ships arrive. At least 95% of passengers and crew would need to be fully vaccinated. All passengers and crew must provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of embarkation. Any passengers who are not fully vaccinated must provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 24 hours of coming ashore in Santa Barbara."

Edited by DaveOKC

Link to Santa Barbara Downtown Shuttles - which are not running right now - fingers crossed they come back, or they make special provisions for cruise ship days.

There are no regular bus routes that serve the waterfront area or take you into the main downtown area - the 1000 to 1300 blocks -above Carrillo Street on the map hold the most interest for visitors I think.

https://sbmtd.gov/routes/downtown-waterfront-shuttles/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flyrobinfly said:

We stopped in Santa Barbara in 2019 and took Lil' Toot over to Stearns Wharf to check out the Sea Center, wonderful time. We will be there in a couple weeks on Koningsdam and I was planning to go see the Santa Barbara Carriage Museum. However, we just got notice today that our itinerary has changed and we will now be there on Saturday, when alas, the museum is closed. 😔 Guess we'll just have to go back another time!

Now to figure out what else to do. Thanks for the tips, @OlsSalt!

Another option for exploring the Old West might be - the Santa Barbara Historical Museum - open on Saturday:  https://www.sbhistorical.org  This is not close to the tender drop off, but is in the more central "downtown" area.  

Further afield but again from a prior historic era - Casa Herrero in Montecito   - the former "blacksmiths" house - many historic artifacts, as well as stunning gardens and architecture.   https://www.casadelherrero.com

Fernald House is closer to the waterfront -for another historic house tour.  https://ppplaw.com/our-firm/history/the-fernald-mansion/

Reagan Ranch Center is also near the train station closer-by which has a very unique historic collection from the Reagan years, but also closed on Saturday. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, OlsSalt said:

As cruise passenger, and also knowing the city well, what did you like to do when you became  a day tripper in town?

I confess we mostly visited friends who still lived there. But I do think a walk around Stearns Wharf is fun. And if the beach art show is still on (although I think it was on weekends only), that is something to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I confess we mostly visited friends who still lived there. But I do think a walk around Stearns Wharf is fun. And if the beach art show is still on (although I think it was on weekends only), that is something to do. 

Yes, the beach arts market is back and running again- Sundays only, but some major holiday Saturdays- walkable from the tender landing, along the beach front. 

https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/depts/parksrec/recreation/sbaacs/default.asp

Edited by OlsSalt

Self-guided Red Tile Walking Tour of Santa Barbara:    https://santabarbaraca.com/itinerary/red-tile-walking-tour/

Biggest change former Santa Barbara visitors will notice is the closure of 10 blocks of the main State Street - our 13 block long "down town".

This allowed more outdoor dining tables during "covid", but it also left a lot of empty storefronts due to the loss of everyday pedestrian traffic.  And fostered  some more unsavory impacts in this new configuration - we too have a street people problem with encampments and shopping carts.  

Many resources are spent on this issue, but most California coastal cities have yet to find the right solution. Please do not make any donations, and I am sorry if this might mar your visit.  City has strolling "ambassadors" in red shirts if you have any concerns.

So picking and choosing blocks to visit will make the over all visit more memorable, than just taking on the entire 13 block length of State Street.  

A good concentration of special places to visit are found in 1000-1300 blocks of State Street and their side streets. It is good to go over to Anacapa Street, which is one block over and parallel to State Street,  to see many of the featured buildings and paseos found in the very wonderful "Red Tile Walking Tour" found in the above link. 

MAP:  https://santabarbaraca.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/redtile-walking-tour_carfreemap.pdf

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

I highly recommend McConnell's ice cream shop.......

The best - two easy to get to locations: one is in the "Funk Zone" down by the waterfront and tender landing; and one on State Street in the mid-downtown block:

Survey of some of the flavors - my own favorite is turkish coffee with tiny coffee grounds - intense, real flavor:  https://mcconnells.com/collections/fine-ice-creams

Another new spot for real gelato (not from a mix): Tondi, also on State Street - all fresh flavors

Edited by OlsSalt

We will be there April 5th via the koningsdam… hubby and I decided to book The Old Mission & A Ride through Santa Barbara History… here is the HAL description… 

Top 3 Reasons To Book

• A drive through Santa Barbara; oceanfront wine tasting
  • The Old Mission with special skip-the-line priority access
  • An on-site Museum of Art & Artifacts; touring the grounds

Your guide for this insider's tour comes from a family of civic leaders and is the recipient of a Community Hero Award. (S)he has in-depth knowledge of the local culture, history and events -- ideal for your Santa Barbara ride through history. Enjoy a dockside greeting by a Spanish-costumed guide while songs of early California play in the background.  

As you travel, you’ll learn why Santa Barbara is called the American Riviera, where its architecture hails from, and which hot spots are in the Funk Zone.  

You will visit the Old Mission with special skip-the-line priority access. Tour the interior and grounds with a friendly and very knowledgeable Mission docent. Note the magnificent architecture of the church façade and convent and step inside to take in the breathtaking church interior. Colonial-era art and sculptures are on display, and this is the only California mission church with a crypt under the sanctuary. Franciscan friars and early settlers are interred here.  

The on-site Museum of Art & Artifacts includes a nine-room museum of historical artwork and artifacts, multiple lush gardens, and an acclaimed exhibit of the Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island, the inspiration for the very popular book Island of the Blue Dolphins.  

Your very special visit includes the Della Robbia glazed terracotta tableau Madonna & Saints shrine and the opportunity to meet a Franciscan friar.  

On the grounds, check out the cemetery and mausoleum. A downloadable Mission Santa Barbara Exterior Walk app allows you to take home a digital tour, now available in 5 languages. You’ll also receive a gift of other Santa Barbara virtual tours to enjoy on your cruise or at home while you plan your return visit.  

As you return to the ship by way of a panoramic drive, watch for some landmarks of Santa Barbara -- the Court House, the Presidio and the historic Theatre District. 

NOTE: While description says wine tasting HAL sent us a note that it’s not being offered on our excursion… no reason given… 

• Thanks 2

Thanks  for this tour description - fun to see how one's home town is described.

There is a local family of siblings who have undertaken on the role of community historians and do an exceptional job sharing their knowledge. Which I suppose is why they say (s)he will be your guide. Or maybe it is the preferred pronoun thing - whatever, they love their chosen avocation and are a community treasure. I think you will enjoy this visit very much.

NB: The 'Art Museum" they describe in this tour is specific to the Mission collection only, and not the downtown Santa Barbara Art Museum -which is currently running the very popular Van Gogh exhibit (online reservations necessary - for crowd control)

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

NB: The 'Art Museum" they describe in this tour is specific to the Mission collection only, and not the downtown Santa Barbara Art Museum -which is currently running the very popular Van Gogh exhibit (online reservations necessary - for crowd control)

Thanks for commenting on that…. Be back in the area post cruise.   Hubby might like to see that if tickets available during our visit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRPLE said:

Thanks for commenting on that…. Be back in the area post cruise.   Hubby might like to see that if tickets available during our visit

Website says some on-site tickets might be available at the door, if you don't make online reservations - exhibit runs through May 22.

https://tickets.sbma.net/event-detail/van-gogh-admission/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

CITY SHUTTLES: Good news: City has just contracted with a shuttle bus company to provide service to cruise ships, taking passengers into the downtown area from the tender landing. 

Does it say where in the downtown area.  Also, when does this start (we will be there in two weeks),

SANTA BARBARA WINE TASTING:  The Funk Zone

A list of wineries in the "Funk Zone" which is close to the tender landing area near the foot of Stearns Wharf and State Street - walk up a few blocks along State Street, turn right at Yanonali Street across from the Santa Barbara train station: need to check opening hours since this is mainly an evening activity.  

Hopefully they will be open for cruise ships days:  https://urbanwinetrailsb.com/wineries/funk-zone/

Other tasting options are found in other parts of town, but this is the closest to the ship. Look up the Urban Wine Trail website for more locations . 

Funk Zone got its name from this being a former "funky" and run-down warehouse and small workshop area. The spaces were taken over by younger hospitality businesses, who could not afford the down town rents. It slowly grew into a new restaurant and bar zone with the younger tech crowds that came to "Silicon Beach" and our UCSB research university. There are plans to now add residential units.

• Like 1

CRUISE SHIP SHUTTLES: The contract just got approved last night so not many details at this time. The Majestic Princess came in today as the first cruise ship of the season so we will learn more from their experiences.

They said they would use 56 passenger busses or 23 passenger shuttles depending on the size and needs of the ship - most likely they will run several trips for pick-ups and drop-offs.

My assumption it will take people close to the 800-1300 blocks of State Street (now closed off to traffic) which is one of the most visited parts of our downtown - The Court House, The Art Museum and historic adobes and paseos - found on the self-guided Red Tile Walking Tour map. 

State Street from the Harbor up to the Arlington Theater is slightly uphill - not obvious until one rides bike or intends to take the long, full walk. Good news, it is slightly downhill on the return trip which makes strolling a lot easier.

Getting a shuttle to the 1300 block area by the Arlington Theater is a good way to make this trip more doable. From there one can walk to other parts of town - parks, gardens and even the Mission; or walk back down to the ship instead of waiting for the shuttle.

It is about a half hour walk from the Mission to the center of downtown- by the Court House, but it does go through nice neighborhoods with historic houses and buildings and several of our important public gardens. This is the "Upper East" neighborhood, one of the oldest in town. It is worth an architecture tour on its own due to the many styles of classic architecture found in just this one neighborhood. 

One historic house that got very rundown is under restoration and is currently asking around $4 million dollars, if you want to finish the task!

• Like 1

Super disappointed. I'm on the K leaving March 20. I just got an email that the excursion to Solvang has been cancelled due to operational issues. I've been to Santa Barbara but we've never driven to Solvang and I was looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, ImGoingFirst said:

Super disappointed. I'm on the K leaving March 20. I just got an email that the excursion to Solvang has been cancelled due to operational issues. I've been to Santa Barbara but we've never driven to Solvang and I was looking forward to it. 

I am so sorry to hear this. Solvang is even our favorite getaway destination and will often do mini-overnights just to get away and feel like we are back in Europe just a little bit. It is about an hour's drive up the coast and I wonder if the "operational change" is our local tour bus company, that might have provided this excursion, is now being used for the shuttle service instead.  That would be a sad irony.

Looking for other ways to get to Solvang, came across a very unusual one that may have timing conflicts with your port schedule, but fun to see it it could work out (Rome to Rio) - walk up to the Amtrak Station from the tender drop off, then take the Amtrak Surfliner train up the coast (Beautiful views). Then transfer to the Solvang AmBus connections to the drop off Amtrak station. Spend a few hours in Solvang and come back the same way ...if the connections make sense.  

Or rent a car - it is an easy coastal drive-up Highway 101, but avoid the San Marcos Pass Highway 154 - narrow and winding. 

(Just checked the train schedule - it doesn't work - you have to depart before you get there!) But a train trip to Carpinteria and back might be fun - that has a better schedule - for the views and a small town with some interesting restaurants and a great beach. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ImGoingFirst said:

It’s an easy drive. Last time we were on a coastal cruise, we rented a car in town for the day and made the 45 minute drive. That was our plan on our cruise following yours.  It’s also much cheaper than the ship’s excursion and you can go at your own pace. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

CITY SHUTTLES: Good news: City has just contracted with a shuttle bus company to provide service to cruise ships, taking passengers into the downtown area from the tender landing. 

Will this run to the zoo like the old waterfront shuttle did?

27 minutes ago, flyrobinfly said:

Will this run to the zoo like the old waterfront shuttle did?

Hope so, since our little zoo is pretty remarkable for a small town- a long participant in endangered species breeding programs, lovely setting with lush, mature vegetation and well-tended enclosures.  Penguins are my favorites, but we also just had another baby giraffe and another on the way. 

SB Zoo:  https://www.sbzoo.org

I'll try  to go down on a cruise ship day and see what more I can learn about the routes. They did run the two routes in the past - out to the Zoo and on to Coast Village Road in Montecito as I recall, and then the other to the downtown visited tourist sites.

Meanwhile back  at  the Zoo, they just opened a new Australian Walkabout where you can walk among the kangaroos, wallabies and emus. Glad to hear you enjoyed this special place.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Hope so, since our little zoo is pretty remarkable for a small town- a long participant in endangered species breeding programs, lovely setting with lush, mature vegetation and well-tended enclosures.  Penguins are my favorites, but we also just had another baby giraffe and another on the way. 

That's our destination in SB next Saturday. We were going to take an Uber but a shuttle would be just dandy. 😁 Excited to visit and photograph this beautiful place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, flyrobinfly said:

That's our destination in SB next Saturday. We were going to take an Uber but a shuttle would be just dandy. 😁 Excited to visit and photograph this beautiful place.

A companion topic to the Zoo is the "Empty Mansions" book fame,  which is located directly across from the Zoo and the adjoining Clark Bird Refuge.  This "empty mansion"  was owned by the wealthy Clark mining family and remained unvisited, while kept in pristine condition for over 50 years. Needless to say it is prime ocean-front property and long a local mystery about its reclusive owner, who only died a few years ago at, over age of 100. 

When the last childless owner died - Hughette Clark-, the home, its pristine contents, and large hillside estate were donated to a Foundation for "the support of the arts".  Her unique history was revealed in the recent book "Empty Mansions". 

The benefactor Hugette Clark's own art work is now featured at the Santa Barbara Historical Museum down town in a special exhibition, which reveals more about her own personal life and artistic passions.

Even though she is now most known for her collection of very expensive properties she never re-visited, while she spent her final 20 years in a NYC hospital room, leaving $30 million dollars to her private nurse, there is far more to this woman than previously know. Mainly the author's conclusion she did not lead a "sad life", but a generous and happy one. Just a different life.

Santa Barbara Historical Museum: A Portrait of an Artist's Life - Hugette Clark. 

https://www.sbhistorical.org

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1