3 or 2 Day Window for Covid Test

jbpcalifornia

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They have not updated and still require 2 day.  I don’t know why they haven’t elected 3 day 

One reason COULD be the ports.  I just saw on a Santa Barbara new release (which we are visiting by ship soon) require the ships to use the 2 day rule.

14 hours ago, jbpcalifornia said:

Excuse the redundancy, but I can't find if HAL changed to the 3 day window for covid testing for embarking passengers.  If not, why haven't they changed to the 3 day window? 

E-mail attachment I received this morning for my March 13th departure is still at 2 days.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:26 AM, DaveOKC said:

One reason COULD be the ports.  I just saw on a Santa Barbara new release (which we are visiting by ship soon) require the ships to use the 2 day rule.

But I could drive up there from LA & not be vaccinated or tested - insane!

It is sounding like we are a day early, our cruise starts April 17.  Rumor has it that the CDC’s short term renewal of the travel mandates to April 18 will likely be the end of the current set of mandates.  Maybe we will get lucky and not have to have a test to go home 

Edited by Mary229

Leaving in April and hoping HA joins in the 3 day testing rule with its sister ships. Testing is getting harder to find as places are closing. We can ( as of today) drive 45 miles one way to get a test but who knows in April.  I know there are home tests but I was never any good at taking tests and don't trust myself .😵😵

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jinpasco said:

I know there are home tests but I was never any good at taking tests and don't trust myself

There is another discussion about testing at CVS or Walgreens.  It is very informative and seems like the easiest option especially if they go to 3 day testing.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2835919-has-cvs-just-changed-its-free-covid-testing-policy/

Mary 229, Yes, in the past ( we have taken 3 cruises since Aug) we have done it at a CVS  Testing site with rapid test availability but it is closing as of this Sunday. It was over an hour drive but worth having the peace of mind.  If they change it back to 3 day any CVS should work. It's the 2 day  timeframe we don't feel comfortable with in receiving results. We have backup plans . One CVS fairly close does a rapid test but we can only book that morning , PCR tests can be booked 14 days ahead with a 1-3 day turnaround.  Then again that's this week . No idea what April will show. Oh how we look forward to the good old days. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It is sounding like we are a day early, our cruise starts April 17.  Rumor has it that the CDC’s short term renewal of the travel mandates to April 18 will likely be the end of the current set of mandates.  Maybe we will get lucky and not have to have a test to go home 

I can't find a reference to the April 18 date.  Could you elaborate on that (wonderful) rumor you mention  about the CDC ending the mandates for cruise travel?  Just really curious.  Thanks,

On 3/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, Roz said:

We're stuck with the 2-day rule.  Grrr....

I wonder if the people who make these rules have ever traveled.  It's so inconvenient. 

It's antigen you can do remotely anywhere with an internet connection

You can do proctored tests with your own test kits

• Like 1

@gilboman, I've read that here on CC but I'm confused as to what antigen tests are acceptable and which are not.  Don't know if the tests I have at home can be proctored or not.  Do they guarantee results by boarding time?

I must be the only person who doesn't understand all this stuff.  ☹

1 minute ago, Roz said:

@gilboman, I've read that here on CC but I'm confused as to what antigen tests are acceptable and which are not.  Don't know if the tests I have at home can be proctored or not.  Do they guarantee results by boarding time?

I must be the only person who doesn't understand all this stuff.  ☹

Roz, unless you purchased the special tests though the website(s) your tests cannot be proctored.  These are alot more expensive, cost about $35-40 each as I recall.   You get the results immediately.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jbpcalifornia said:

I can't find a reference to the April 18 date.  Could you elaborate on that (wonderful) rumor you mention  about the CDC ending the mandates for cruise travel?  Just really curious.  Thanks,

https://thepointsguy.com/news/mask-mandate-extended-again/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3868126&utm_usr=485a4493762ed21cdad6a4991c590dbba34ed267f2da5489d2845c3bb9146ad0&utm_msg=103bf591b8cf49a6ae7faa28e3ef516c&utm_date=2022-03-12