No More Kids in the Suite Lounge During the Evening Hours

I have a different proposal.

How about no alcohol in the suit lounge after 5pm?

Or now adults unless accompanied by a child?

And then randomly mix the rules on a day by day base and don't inform people until the actual day.

Or one final idea to actually save some money how about combining the suite lounge and the teen club into one location? 😇

36 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

I have a different proposal.

How about no alcohol in the suit lounge after 5pm?

Or now adults unless accompanied by a child?

And then randomly mix the rules on a day by day base and don't inform people until the actual day.

Or one final idea to actually save some money how about combining the suite lounge and the teen club into one location? 😇

As someone who’s paid a great deal of money for a suite  you want me not to be able to drink in the lounge because someone wants their child there in the evening? I can’t even believe someone would think that was a rational idea no matter how indulgent or irrational a parent they are. Or was the point just to irritate?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

As someone who’s paid a great deal of money for a suite  you want me not to be able to drink in the lounge because someone wants their child there in the evening? I can’t even believe someone would think that was a rational idea no matter how indulgent or irrational a parent they are. Or was the point just to irritate?

The post you quoted is pretty obviously sarcasm

• Like 2

Our DD grew up cruising and similar to what others posted enjoyed dressing up, enjoying the appetizers along with a Shirley Temple.  She was treated well by staff & well behaved. We did take her back to our suite a few times when we were uncomfortable with language or behavior from others in the lounge. I would never have allowed her to run or cause a scene.  Regardless of age or venue, appropriate behavior is important and we are all accountable to act respectfully. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

sometimes...but often it is just meant to be funny and lighten the mood.   Personally, I don't really see that post as aimed at irritating anyone....maybe I am missing something though.

You are of course correct. It was meant to be funny not to irritate people.

Personally, like any decent parent I would of course immediately take actions (probably be leaving with them) should my children misbehave and not because it is a "suite" lounge but rather because it is a public place.

I just wish people would apply the same rules for adults. I don't think I've ever seen someone who removed his/her husband/wife due to misbehavior.

It is so much easier to ban children so they can't witness adults misbehaving then actually remove the adults in question. Especially if the adults are paying a lot of money by staying in a suite for example.

• Like 4

On 3/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, topnole said:

No binge drinking problems in Europe like we have in the states.  

This is not true at all.  I have read many comments in this thread basically saying the US a prudish place to live that shuns alcohol in a ridiculous manner (an exaggeration maybe but pretty much sums it up).  The UK has higher rates of alcoholism than the US.  Look it up and you will see.  Also higher rates of episodic drinking (something like 27% of Brits are binge drinkers).  The funny thing here is that much like Carnival and RCCL, we (Americans) have more in common with the Brits than not.  Most of the stories being told here, i.e. "My cousin couldn't believe the amount of drinking college students do in the US" are anecdotal only. 

One last tidbit, since this comment specifies Europe as a whole and not the UK as some of the others, I will say that Europeans drink more than any other continent.  

Sorry OP, I realize this post has little to do with your original comment but I felt the need to respond.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

This is not true at all.  I have read many comments in this thread basically saying the US a prudish place to live that shuns alcohol in a ridiculous manner (an exaggeration maybe but pretty much sums it up).  The UK has higher rates of alcoholism than the US.  Look it up and you will see.  Also higher rates of episodic drinking (something like 27% of Brits are binge drinkers).  The funny thing here is that much like Carnival and RCCL, we (Americans) have more in common with the Brits than not.  Most of the stories being told here, i.e. "My cousin couldn't believe the amount of drinking college students do in the US" are anecdotal only. 

One last tidbit, since this comment specifies Europe as a whole and not the UK as some of the others, I will say that Europeans drink more than any other continent.  

Sorry OP, I realize this post has little to do with your original comment but I felt the need to respond.

I’m talking about youth binge drinking.  Clearly there are no absolute truths.  There is youth binge drinking in Europe too.   But my read of things, and experience, suggests youth binge drinking is a societal problem in the US.  Yes it happens everywhere, but kids who grow up being able to drink aren’t over indulging in the forbidden fruit (as often) when in college or when they turn 21.  

Americans being considered prude.  Now that is funny.  Maybe these folks visited the Bible Belt or Disney?  They certainly skipped a lot of places, not to mention New Orleans or Vegas to come away with that view.  

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m talking about youth binge drinking.  Clearly there are no absolute truths.  There is youth binge drinking in Europe too.   But my read of things, and experience, suggests youth binge drinking is a societal problem in the US.  Yes it happens everywhere, but kids who grow up being able to drink aren’t over indulging in the forbidden fruit (as often) when in college or when they turn 21.  

Americans being considered prude.  Now that is funny.  Maybe these folks visited the Bible Belt or Disney?  They certainly skipped a lot of places, not to mention New Orleans or Vegas to come away with that view.  

I don't want to make this a thread of its own but the numbers do say that you are incorrect about youth binge drinking in either place.  As a whole, in the UK and in Europe binge drinking is higher than in the US, the stats typically start at age 15 or 16, so saying that kids who grow up being able to drink aren't overindulging is not accurate.  It may however, be your personal experience or what you feel you have observed.  But that is why I said in my previous post that opinions are anecdotal.  

I mentioned the prude part because 1. someone else posted about the puritanical US and 2. because it feels like the US gets bashed on the regular here for whatever reason and sometimes that gets old...hence the "we are more alike than not" part of my post.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

The main question is behavior....all I know is on my cruises I have seen way more kids the do not behave than those that do. Most parents let them just do whatever.

I was just saying on a spring break cruise. The only misbehaving I saw were people in their forties with embarrassed kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

Yes, Europeans in general drink a lot....I don't think  anyone said otherwise.....but it is not considered shameful to drink, thus not having rules against kids being around drinking in the same way that the US does.  That was kind of the point in replying to the person who was all offended at the idea of kids "in a bar"

(and while binge drinking is absolutely on teh rise in Germany and I think much of continetal Western Europe, it has not been at US or UK levels historically)

24 minutes ago, topnole said:

I think for many comparing to Western Europe it is more about things like:  school dress codes with weird rules about how long shorts can be or if shoulders can be bare and a drinking age higher than the age of majority otherwise.  Many school distrcits which teach abstinance only......

Regardless of if you feel those are good or bad things, they are defitnely a BIG contrast to France, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands, etc in approach

11 hours ago, ckruetze said:

I just wish people would apply the same rules for adults. I don't think I've ever seen someone who removed his/her husband/wife due to misbehavior.

I have defintely seen spouses/partners at least trying to cajole a poorly behaved person out of a club/lounge on ships.  In any healthy romantic relationship one person cannot order another around as a parent might a misbahving child, but getting them moving where they need to. yeah, it happens sometimes, though not nearly as often as it should.  Most of the time it seems like both adults who are together are misbahving if one is.

38 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Yes, Europeans in general drink a lot....I don't think  anyone said otherwise.....but it is not considered shameful to drink, thus not having rules against kids being around drinking in the same way that the US does.  That was kind of the point in replying to the person who was all offended at the idea of kids "in a bar"

(and while binge drinking is absolutely on teh rise in Germany and I think much of continetal Western Europe, it has not been at US or UK levels historically)

I think for many comparing to Western Europe it is more about things like:  school dress codes with weird rules about how long shorts can be or if shoulders can be bare and a drinking age higher than the age of majority otherwise.  Many school distrcits which teach abstinance only......

Regardless of if you feel those are good or bad things, they are defitnely a BIG contrast to France, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands, etc in approach

I have defintely seen spouses/partners at least trying to cajole a poorly behaved person out of a club/lounge on ships.  In any healthy romantic relationship one person cannot order another around as a parent might a misbahving child, but getting them moving where they need to. yeah, it happens sometimes, though not nearly as often as it should.  Most of the time it seems like both adults who are together are misbahving if one is.

I guess we are getting our statistical information from somewhere else as everything I have seen (20+ years working in the alcohol and drug and criminal justice field) says the opposite. But I am sure if you look hard enough anyone can find the numbers to support their theories, so we will have to agree to disagree on this. 

As for shame, I never said it was shameful to drink or anything of the like. I was specifically responding to comments about the US vs UK and/or Europe as a whole. 

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

I guess we are getting our statistical information from somewhere else as everything I have seen (20+ years working in the alcohol and drug and criminal justice field) says the opposite. But I am sure if you look hard enough anyone can find the numbers to support their theories, so we will have to agree to disagree on this. 

As for shame, I never said it was shameful to drink or anything of the like. I was specifically responding to comments about the US vs UK and/or Europe as a whole. 

If this is your field of study I am sure your stats are right....I shouldn't have saud "historically binge drinking is lower in europe" without actually looking it up, which I did not. To be honest, I never cared.  I cared about what i felt would work in our family and with our kids and was legal and allowed and that was IT:  So far so good, my 20 somethings seem to drink reasonbaley and responsibly (which would have occurred no matter which country they spent their teen years in I would guess, our family approach not being all taht different either place).

I was just going by both my and my kids' experiences in both areas and what I always "hear" but we know that can often be wrong.  No need to accuse anyone of looking for information to justify a position, geez.

Otherwise, the topic came up in relation to comments about "would you take your kid to a bar!????" and that somehow justifying not allowing children staying in suites into the suite lounge with parents...even though the suite lounge really isn't a bar and many of us DO (or did in my case) allow our kids in bars with and without us growing up.   It wasn't about where there is more drinking, but about ATTITUDES of the adults in various areas to exposing kids to seeing adults drinking and maybe in more "adult" places (not always designed to be family friendly).   So, you know, my son's 11th grade class play on closing night we could hear the prosecco corks popping backstage before the audience was even out of the auditorium and the teachers were back there with them.  No one batted an eye except my husband and I laughing about how that would never happen in the US...totally different attitudes and approaches.  

(and the "shame" thing was in response to you posting that is is weird to say the  US is "prudish" about some things.......I wasn't saying YOU think things are shameful, but that some ways the US handles things like alcohol or sex ed or dress codes etc could be interpreted as "shameful" or "prudish" in comparison to how those things are handled in some of the nations I listed.  Again, just a discussion about the different cultures and their attitudes about these things.  

Edited by xxHadleyxx

29 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

If this is your field of study I am sure your stats are right....I shouldn't have saud "historically binge drinking is lower in europe" without actually looking it up, which I did not. To be honest, I never cared.  I cared about what i felt would work in our family and with our kids and was legal and allowed and that was IT:  So far so good, my 20 somethings seem to drink reasonbaley and responsibly (which would have occurred no matter which country they spent their teen years in I would guess, our family approach not being all taht different either place).

I was just going by both my and my kids' experiences in both areas and what I always "hear" but we know that can often be wrong.  No need to accuse anyone of looking for information to justify a position, geez.

Otherwise, the topic came up in relation to comments about "would you take your kid to a bar!????" and that somehow justifying not allowing children staying in suites into the suite lounge with parents...even though the suite lounge really isn't a bar and many of us DO (or did in my case) allow our kids in bars with and without us growing up.   It wasn't about where there is more drinking, but about ATTITUDES of the adults in various areas to exposing kids to seeing adults drinking and maybe in more "adult" places (not always designed to be family friendly).   So, you know, my son's 11th grade class play on closing night we could hear the prosecco corks popping backstage before the audience was even out of the auditorium and the teachers were back there with them.  No one batted an eye except my husband and I laughing about how that would never happen in the US...totally different attitudes and approaches.  

(and the "shame" thing was in response to you posting that is is weird to say the  US is "prudish" about some things.......I wasn't saying YOU think things are shameful, but that some ways the US handles things like alcohol or sex ed or dress codes etc could be interpreted as "shameful" or "prudish" in comparison to how those things are handled in some of the nations I listed.  Again, just a discussion about the different cultures and their attitudes about these things.  

Unfortunately forums leave a lot to interpretation. I was not accusing you of looking up stats to support your theory. It was just a comment that really, anyone can look around and find numbers/stats to support their theory so discussions can go either way.

Actually I agree with quite a bit of what you said in this post. Maybe not that the US has certain attitudes toward manner of dress or alcohol consumption due to shame, but family values regarding those topics are probably more important than school lessons. I will say that I do get a little fired up at the comments about the US that are super negative or even said with an eye roll. The comment about how drinking Prosecco backstage would never happen in the US…okay, you’re correct, it probably wouldn’t. But my feelings about underage drinking or juvenile drinking have nothing to do with shame and more to do with young people that aren’t mature enough to handle a mind altering substance, have poor impulse control and whose brains aren’t even fully developed yet.

Not allowing kids in the SL is ridiculous in my opinion if they are staying in a suite. I realize the parents have paid but they are still passengers (souls for a lifeboat seat) so they deserve to be in the SL as much as anyone else unless they act like jerks. Jerks of any age should be put out quickly. Period. 

Congratulations on raising well developed children, that’s a boon no matter the country!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We took our 7 yr old granddaughter into the suite lounge every evening last week.  Despite all of the nasty looks from other passengers in the lounge, she was very well behaved and sat quietly.  The two couples that complained very loudly spoke constantly at the top of their voices (must have been hard of hearing) were much more disruptive than any child would/could be.  We sat several tables away and I can tell you how much the one lady pays to get her hair done, what size golf shoes her husband wears, all of the cruises they are booked for in the future... you get the idea.  Our granddaughter sat and enjoyed her "princess juice" (shirley temple) and colored in her coloring book.  I would much rather see children develop a love of cruising than listen to a group of loud-mouthed cranky jerks!

• Like 15

8 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

I would much rather see children develop a love of cruising than listen to a group of loud-mouthed cranky jerks!

No shortage of that around here or on the cruises.. It's all about behavior. But I truly believe in some cases the people complaining would have been extremely bored if kids weren't there, because they'd have one less thing to complain about!

On 3/10/2022 at 1:32 AM, cruisegus said:

take your kids to a bar often?

its a couple of hours, only place it really has any effect is on Oasis class ship when the CK and suite lounge are combined.

There they allow kids.

Really did you take your kids to the Diamond lounge during the old HH

I have always wondered what kind of person would take a child into a bar until I went on a royal Caribbean cruise and  then Saw all the winners of the Best  Parent  Award.    But, if you have  ever been on a royal or carnival ship,  I’m sure you would see lots of other award winners letting their three year olds completely unattended run through the halls at 2 o’clock in the morning.  

Edited by ericfromri

2 hours ago, ericfromri said:

I have always wondered what kind of person would take a child into a bar until I went on a royal Caribbean cruise and then Saw all the winners of the Best  Parent  Award.    But, if you have  ever been on a royal or carnival ship,  I’m sure you would see lots of other award winners letting their three year olds completely unattended run through the halls at 2 o’clock in the morning.  

The suite lounge is not a bar and secondly, I personally have been on 100 cruises and I have never seen a 3 year old run unattended through the "passageways" at 2 AM. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ericfromri said:

I have always wondered what kind of person would take a child into a bar until I went on a royal Caribbean cruise and  then Saw all the winners of the Best  Parent  Award.    But, if you have  ever been on a royal or carnival ship,  I’m sure you would see lots of other award winners letting their three year olds completely unattended run through the halls at 2 o’clock in the morning.  

I totally agree!  Every situation is different.  We made sure that we brought a quiet activity for our granddaughter each evening so she didn't get bored.  One night we sat and played Old Maid (!) with her and one lady (not one of the cranky ones, lol) came over to watch.  She said she had forgotten all about that old game and enjoyed watching us play.

If you never introduce a child to situations where good behavior is expected and enforce proper behavior, they will never learn how to carry themselves in public. 

I will admit, though, that she and my husband had a grand time playing with the bidet in our bathroom, lol.  They cleaned up all of the water when finished and kept they laughing to a moderate level.

• Like 7

I didn't wade through the 5 pages in this thread, but two thoughts:

With drink coupons loaded on your seapass card, you can go anywhere with your kids and get your drinks.  

If you go to happy hour for the food, you can also go to the Windjammer, Sorrento's, Park Cafe, Solarium Cafe, etc., and get snacks.

So, I'm puzzled why anyone would want to take their kids into a noisy, crowded lounge when they have the whole ship to choose from??????

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1