First-time cruiser. Lots of questions, can't find answers to some of them. Can some kind soul help?

Linguist208

My wife and I are taking our first cruise, and we are super excited! We're on the HAL Rotterdam, 20-27 March Southern Caribbean (I've already joined the Roll Call thread). Today, we got our cabin assignment, and I was trying to find an explanation of the different stateroom types within categories. We're in a Vista Suite, which contains cabin types of A, B, BB, and BC. We booked a guaranteed room (didn't choose a room) so while it was pending, it showed "BC" (because, obviously, we were only guaranteed the lowest-quality Vista Suite). However, lucky us, our cabin assignment is listed as "A." (We've also got the Club Orange, so that helped us get the "A," I suspect.) I understand this is supposed to be the "best" of the Vista Suite types, but what, exactly, is the difference? We're in the 5140's, which is pretty much where we wanted to be: Center of the ship both fore/aft and top/bottom, near the elevator but not next to it, with cabins on both sides and above and below. I hear that's a "sweet spot," especially for first-timers concerned with ship motion. But is an "A" bigger than a "B"? Does it have a better balcony? What's the difference?

The other question I had (and there will probably be more in the next week) was about parking. We live in Florida and have family in the general area of the port. We're driving down and spending a couple of days visiting. On departure day, we're planning to bite the bullet and park in the port's parking area. But how do I know WHICH area I should park in? I don't want to have to schlep myself, my wife, and our luggage all across the port to get to our departure area. How can I find out?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

The difference between the “A” cabin and the “B” is location. You described it perfectly - cabins above and below and centre of the ship.  You have a great location!

Hopefully someone can help you with the parking.

• Like 1

According to the recent calendar, you will likely be docked at #26. Here’s the link to check the schedule https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

Parking is shown on this map https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Map_Updated_March_8_2021_ENG_mech_1ce7de69-23d3-491e-abf8-d71f82a1a04b.pdf

Enjoy your cruise!

Over the years of cruising from Port Everglades, we have settled into the easiest routine that works for us when we drive down.  We stay at a Homewood Suites near Dania Beach and book a stay-and-cruise package that gives us up to 21 days of free parking at the hotel (at least that was the deal in January 2020 on our last stay there).  Then the hotel will arrange a port shuttle pickup on the day of the cruise and pickup at the port when you return.

Have fun on your cruise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linguist208 said:

On departure day, we're planning to bite the bullet and park in the port's parking area. But how do I know WHICH area I should park in? I don't want to have to schlep myself, my wife, and our luggage all across the port to get to our departure area. How can I find out?

You have many choices for parking, if you chose to use the port's facility you will be able to drop off your luggage and anyone other than the driver then go park the car. The same can happen when you get ready to leave, get the car then the luggage and other passengers.

If you chose to use the cheaper, off port parking, they will put you and your luggage in a shuttle and drop you off right where you need to drop your luggage. They will pick you up a short distance from where you retrieve your luggage.

Hope you enjoy your cruse.

• Like 1

The parking garage for both Terminals 21 and 26 is Port Everglades Midport Garage (AKA Palm Garage), 1850 Eller Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316.

Port Everglades also has an app that shows the ship schedule 30 days out, but you need to check it regularly as berths change.  We are currently on N. Statendam and were showing Term 26 until the morning we boarded when it changed to 21.  In the Apple App Store it is called CruiseSchedule Port Everglades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The difference between the “A” cabin and the “B” is location. You described it perfectly - cabins above and below and centre of the ship.  You have a great location!

Hopefully someone can help you with the parking.

Yes, all of the vista suites/balconies are the same size with the exception of the "AS" category vistas.  They are aft-facing and have a deeper balcony than the side facing vista suites.

The vista suites are essentially the same as standard balcony cabins with the exception of about 4' additional space added between the bed and the sofa/desk area.  Bathrooms are standard too, very nice but standard size and amenities.  You do get some modest suite perks such as extra pillows, binoculars, fresh flowers, concierge access, double mariner points, but that's all.  The Club Orange pass you bought gets you more of the "suite life" than the vista category itself.

• Like 1

Unless things have changed, you’ll need to have your passport and boarding info readily available when you stop at the entrance gate for the port, so don’t have them packed away.  There are signs showing the terminal number for the various ships in port that day.  Most likely, your ship will be at Terminal 26, 21 or 19.  These terminals all use the mid-port parking garage.  Since this is your first cruise, I recommend you use this garage.  It’ll cost you a little bit more money for the week than off site parking, but it’s a more straightforward process.  You’ll be able to see how things work so you’ll be able to decide if you want to do off site parking for your next cruise.

As Rich indicated, it’s easier to pull up to the terminal building (people will direct you) and drop off your luggage and other passengers before parking.  If there’s more than one HAL ship in port that day, confirm with someone that you’re at the right terminal unless you can see the ship’s name as you drive up.  Agree on a general area where your fellow passengers will wait for you.  Benches are available.  Have some tip money ready as a luggage handler will likely be right there to take your non-carryon luggage.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Rotterdam!!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:39 AM, Mtn2Sea said:

Most likely, your ship will be at Terminal 26, 21 or 19.  These terminals all use the mid-port parking garage.  Since this is your first cruise, I recommend you use this garage.  It’ll cost you a little bit more money for the week than off site parking, but it’s a more straightforward process.

Just to add a little more info to this good description, these three terminals used by Holland 

America (26, 21 and 19) are right next to the multilevel Midport Parking Garage, creating a very short walk between this garage and any of these terminals.

P.S. We were recently on the Rotterdam for our first time on one of HALs Pinnacle Class, and we thought it's quite a lovely ship. My wife and daughter will be getting off the Rotterdam the same day your cruise begins.

David

• Like 1