Any tips or do’s - don’t for 1st timers

soloadventurer

Any tips or do’s or don’t for 1st time Carnival cruisers ? 1wk on the Glory from start of May this year. ( we’ve cruised before just not this line or ship ) 

trying to find out about the boarding process at the pier in New Orleans  ( i know you’ll be allotted a time during checkin ) 

Thanks 

• Like 1

You should be able to check in 14 days before the cruise.  The check-in date will be on your cruise manager.  You can check in just after midnight eastern time if you want to stay up the night before check-in and would like to get an early appointment time and boarding zone.

The appointment time is the time you should show up at the terminal to get checked in.  Then once the previous passengers have gotten off of the ship and the boarding time starts, they will start with suites and I think wedding parties.  Then they will call zone A01, A02, etc.

There used to be an option to purchase Faster to the Fun, which had benefits including a priority line for boarding, guest services, and other things.  However,  I don't think they have offered it lately.

We always purchase Carnival's 12 bottle water package before the cruise and it is always delivered the first day.  It's only about $5.  You can purchase other things before your cruise too.

When I cruised out of NO several years ago, the parking garage filled up quickly.  Since we didn't know how long it would take, we arrived early and went to the early/late line and it took a long time to check in.  So if you can arrive within your appointment time, that will be quicker.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.  Follow the cruise line recommendations on first time and you can wing it next cruise.   

Do an excursion in every port unless you have been there before.

Bring a watch.  Unless you know how to keep your cell phone on ship time.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

You should be able to check in 14 days before the cruise.  The check-in date will be on your cruise manager.  You can check in just after midnight eastern time if you want to stay up the night before check-in and would like to get an early appointment time and boarding zone.

The appointment time is the time you should show up at the terminal to get checked in.  Then once the previous passengers have gotten off of the ship and the boarding time starts, they will start with suites and I think wedding parties.  Then they will call zone A01, A02, etc.

There used to be an option to purchase Faster to the Fun, which had benefits including a priority line for boarding, guest services, and other things.  However,  I don't think they have offered it lately.

We always purchase Carnival's 12 bottle water package before the cruise and it is always delivered the first day.  It's only about $5.  You can purchase other things before your cruise too.

When I cruised out of NO several years ago, the parking garage filled up quickly.  Since we didn't know how long it would take, we arrived early and went to the early/late line and it took a long time to check in.  So if you can arrive within your appointment time, that will be quicker.

Thank you UKers here lol so - i might set the Alarm lol 

flying in the night before.

• Like 1

Take the stairs between decks whenever you can, so very much time wasted waiting and using the elevators.  The extra exercise wont hurt either f(truth be told!) unless you are physically disabled of course.  

If you are an early riser and coffee drinker, order early room service with coffee for 2 and get the carafe (keep the carafe to refill later in Lido for that extra cup of hot coffee).   Take the whole tray out on your balcony (hopefully you might have one to enjoy your own little piece of quiet real estate in your pjs) and watch the sun sun rise and the whole world go by.  Best way to start your day while on a cruise 🙂.

Keep your cruise simple and flexible, so many things that can disrupt a packed day, dont sweat the small things (seriously, stay flexible).  We will make plans for certain things on sea days that we may want to do or since we are very familiar with most ports from the eastern coast (where we cruise from 95% of the time), we go off and do things on our own but keep things as flexible as possible.   

Eat breakfast in the MDR in lieu of buffet, its a treat to be served breakfast and not have to stand in line.  A simple pleasure and not crowded for the most part as majority eat at the buffet on Lido.  If you want something a little lighter there is a much smaller breakfast offering (self serve) usually near ocean plaza (near coffee bar), that is not typically crowed either.  

100% order your water to deliver in your cabin, we ,many years ago we learned to order and have waiting in our cabin our water and soda, just not worth carrying those 12 pks around until cabin ready (actually one of the biggest PITA and does nothing to ADD to the cruise experience).  You pay a little more for the convenience but we just budget it in up front as part of the cruise.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

I was on the Glory in December, assuming nothing has changed:

1)  Many including myself have stated the BBQ is the best complimentary food on the ship, it's only open for lunch from noon-230, consider having around noon if you get hungry from 2-4 have a Guys Burger (open noon-6pm) to tide you over

2)  Guys burgers has "hidden" bacon for the burgers and cheese sauce for the fries, just ask

3)  Buffet has 4 identical stations, front port and starboard and aft port and starboard, for lunch and dinner only the AFT sections were open, for breakfast all four were open and generally there were far less people in the AFT sections

4)  Mexican place offer breakfast burritos

5)  At the omelet station, they'll use pre-mix eggs from a carton, ask for fresh eggs and they'll crack them on the spot

6)  If you like pepperoni pizza, order "a quarto with pepperoni", not only is it great it also helps identify your order as 99% tend to order pepperoni so during busy times it can be quite a cluster; staff will say "pepperoni is ready" and ten people waiting for their pepperoni will look around to try to determine if anyone was before them or not.  If they say "quarto peperoni is ready" you know it's yours

7)  Punchliner Comedy club was often full before the show started, had to line up 15mins early or weren't allowed in

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I was on the Glory in December, assuming nothing has changed:

1)  Many including myself have stated the BBQ is the best complimentary food on the ship, it's only open for lunch from noon-230, consider having around noon if you get hungry from 2-4 have a Guys Burger (open noon-6pm) to tide you over

2)  Guys burgers has "hidden" bacon for the burgers and cheese sauce for the fries, just ask

3)  Buffet has 4 identical stations, front port and starboard and aft port and starboard, for lunch and dinner only the AFT sections were open, for breakfast all four were open and generally there were far less people in the AFT sections

4)  Mexican place offer breakfast burritos

5)  At the omelet station, they'll use pre-mix eggs from a carton, ask for fresh eggs and they'll crack them on the spot

6)  If you like pepperoni pizza, order "a quarto with pepperoni", not only is it great it also helps identify your order as 99% tend to order pepperoni so during busy times it can be quite a cluster; staff will say "pepperoni is ready" and ten people waiting for their pepperoni will look around to try to determine if anyone was before them or not.  If they say "quarto peperoni is ready" you know it's yours

7)  Punchliner Comedy club was often full before the show started, had to line up 15mins early or weren't allowed in

Thank you thats very helpful.

Hey solo!

Welcome to the US! New Orleans is a very cool port to sail out of.  Do try to take advantage the day before by visiting Bourbon/Frenchmen St. Both areas and the pier itself are within walking distance (or short cab/Uber ride) from downtown hotels. To that end, I strongly recommend trying to reset your body clock before you fly.  We're literally doing that for our upcoming European trip right now.

As others have said, go with the flow.  Remember, Carnival has done this thousands of times. And the staff onboard is spectacular.  Ask any crew member anything and they'll tell you the answer or properly direct you with a smile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Hey solo!

Welcome to the US! New Orleans is a very cool port to sail out of.  Do try to take advantage the day before by visiting Bourbon/Frenchmen St. Both areas and the pier itself are within walking distance (or short cab/Uber ride) from downtown hotels. To that end, I strongly recommend trying to reset your body clock before you fly.  We're literally doing that for our upcoming European trip right now.

As others have said, go with the flow.  Remember, Carnival has done this thousands of times. And the staff onboard is spectacular.  Ask any crew member anything and they'll tell you the answer or properly direct you with a smile.

Unfortunately we fly in the night before but have 3days afterwards.

thank you.

• Like 1