Antigua on you own

Algie21

It's 20 years since we were there on a cruse and we had no trouble booking a private tour for two couples.  But that was then.  In the Caribbean we have often hired cars at the port ... don't know what it's like these days, though.

Good luck!

Mura

15 hours ago, Mura said:

It's 20 years since we were there on a cruse and we had no trouble booking a private tour for two couples.  But that was then.  In the Caribbean we have often hired cars at the port ... don't know what it's like these days, though.

Good luck!

Mura

We have been there on a cruise and stayed there a few times also.  Easy to rent a car.  Not a problem to drive around the island with a good map. 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:35 AM, Algie21 said:

Thanks to you both for the info.

I may try and book a car at the port.

On our first visit to Antigua, we booked a car in advance through the local Hertz affiliate, very reasonable price and OK car.

However, I never have driven on roads with worse and more potholes (and we have rented in many ports) so our trip down to Nelson’s Dockyard, Shirley Heights, then back to St. John’s through the nature preserve with a refreshing stop at Darkwood Beach, was very tiring for me as a driver, constantly having to hit the brakes and also stressful due to concern about damage to the undercarriage; it also took much longer than I anticipated. 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:35 AM, Algie21 said:

Thanks to you both for the info.

I may try and book a car at the port.

I have an excellent taxi service if you are interested. We used her in January 2020 and again last month. If you want her info, email me at gbits@optonline.net.