Masks optional on Orion

Twitchly

In another online cruise discussion group today, several Orion passengers posted pictures of a blurb in their Viking daily newspaper that said masks were now optional onboard the ship. Apparently an announcement was also made.

Where is Orion right now? I’m wondering if this loosening of restrictions is just because they’re at sea or if it’s a sign of Viking finally dropping their mask requirements as other lines have done. Sure hope it’s the latter!

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would you be able to repost the images?

Maybe Viking is shifting to more regional policies with their covid protocols. Since the rest of the cruise ships in the Caribbean have already revised their policies, perhaps Viking is finally too, and will actually start to follow their stated: "specific protocols and procedures may evolve over time to adapt to various conditions or travel regulations in the destinations in which we operate."

Edited by oceancruiser20

Vikings Explore Safely tab on MVJ now says masks MAY not will be required, changed overnight. Also testing is UP TO daily testing MAY be required.  
So Viking is also now recognising the living with covid approach 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Vikings Explore Safely tab on MVJ now says masks MAY not will be required, changed overnight. Also testing is UP TO daily testing MAY be required.  
So Viking is also now recognising the living with covid approach 

My MVJ still says masks are required “when moving around the ship.” Maybe it just hasn’t been updated yet …

Edited by Twitchly

Currently on the Jupiter,  last night's Viking Daily says face masks should be worn "outside your state room."  I will let you know any changes.

Edited by deec
  • Like 1

Just got a letter from Viking for our April 1st  Mediterranean Odyssey cruise.  They are relaxing the mask requirements - Masks are optional now.  And after embarking and we take the covid test we can immediately leave our stateroom wearing a mask until we receive a negative result and then take it off.

Remaining question I have if anyone knows... we are doing a pre cruise extension in Madrid Spain through Viking.  I understand we have to have a 72 PCR / 24 hr. antigen prior to flying to Spain.  Do we need a second test done prior to embarking after we arrive and spend a couple days in Spain?  If so, does Viking help with that since this is an extension through them or do we need to figure this out on our own in Spain? 

Edited by PWRWAGN

Wondering if this policy of no mask is for this voyage only because they have tested negative for Covid since day 1.  Still washing and taking masks.  If we do have to wear mask maybe it will be lifted on April 1st.Not a big deal either way, we are on a cruise ship at least!!! Can't wait for this trip to start!

On 3/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, PWRWAGN said:

Remaining question I have if anyone knows... we are doing a pre cruise extension in Madrid Spain through Viking.  I understand we have to have a 72 PCR / 24 hr. antigen prior to flying to Spain.  Do we need a second test done prior to embarking after we arrive and spend a couple days in Spain?  If so, does Viking help with that since this is an extension through them or do we need to figure this out on our own in Spain? 

You’ll probably have a spit test the first morning in your hotel (that’s what happened with us in November when we did the Douro River cruise). BTW, we did that extension in 2029 - very satisfied. Train ride to Barcelona was first class as was the tour guide we had in Madrid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nonnie1975 said:

Wondering if this policy of no mask is for this voyage only because they have tested negative for Covid since day 1.  Still washing and taking masks.  If we do have to wear mask maybe it will be lifted on April 1st.Not a big deal either way, we are on a cruise ship at least!!! Can't wait for this trip to start!

I believe that the no mask policy applies to cruises that start April 1 or after and is as conditions or local regs warrant.

Edited by Peregrina651