Certificate of Recovery??? What is this?

go.without.you

If you have a negative antigen test, use it. The Certificate probably requires secondary screening prior to boarding. Why unnecessarily ask for trouble?

To possibly help others and I’m just curious 

Edited by DWhit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

AFAIK, there's no such requirement. The positive PCR test needs to be between 11 and 90 days from sailing, but one could get a certificate of recovery today and sail tomorrow.

Exactly! Also, some people say that their PCP won’t give them a letter. I would either try sending them the positive test (to show proof) or contact the local health department. They will also supply the letter.

Edited by Purplsmurf

50 minutes ago, DWhit said:

If you have a negative antigen test, use it. The Certificate probably requires secondary screening prior to boarding. Why unnecessarily ask for trouble?

No it doesn’t. If one has a positive PCR test 11-90 out along with a letter of recovery from the doctor or health department, extra testing will not be required. This is the reason for the positive test and letter, as one can still test positive. It can also be used for international return to the US

4 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

extra testing will not be required

No one said extra testing would be required. I wrote "secondary screening" which in this case means getting cleared by Celebrity medical screeners prior to boarding.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:45 AM, TFree said:

As I understand it, this only applies to cruises leaving after March 18, so it is a new wrinkle, and we will see how it works in practice.  I am fully vaxxed and boosted, but just got a (home, unsupervised) positive test result yesterday.  So I went for an official Health Department PCR test today, which will presumably confirm the positive result.  Then, my plan is to contact my primary care doctor's office in early April to see what I need to do to get a Certificate of Recovery.  My Celebrity cruises are April 30 and May 14, so as long as I get a Certificate of Recovery more than 11 days prior to April 30, the way I read this, I will not even need a pre-cruise test to get on these ships.  If for some reason I can't get a Certificate of Recovery, then I will definitely only get a proctored antigen test, since I am aware that you can continue to get positive PCR test results for up to 3 months after an infection.

Tom & Judy

Well, I am responding to my own post in order to mention a very weird set of circumstances that I have experienced this week.

I was supposed to travel (domestically) this weekend, so I thought it would be prudent to get a Covid test (especially since I had returned from another domestic trip last week).  I have now gotten either some false positives on home antigen tests, or false negatives on regular (non-rapid) PCR tests.  The sequence was:

1. Tuesday: PCR test - result "presumptively positive."

2. Thursday: home antigen test - positive.

3. Friday: PCR test - negative.

4. Saturday: PCR test - negative.

5. Sunday: home antigen test - positive.

The two antigen tests were from the same lot (QuickVue brand), so maybe something was wrong with those tests (although Judy got a negative with the same brand and lot).  But it makes no sense to me that I am getting negatives on the more sensitive PCR tests (except for the one "presumptively positive), while getting positives on the less sensitive antigen tests.  I will probably take another home antigen test from a different brand tomorrow, just to see what result I get (I read on the Celebrity site that you are not supposed to take two tests on the same day).

But anyway, my focus before our cruises starting April 30 will be to get whatever kind of test is least likely to yield a false positive.  I don't know the answer, but I will be doing some research.  Maybe others already know the answer, and if so, please share it.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

We just had our BTB meeting with the Documentation Officer on the Reflection. We were the first guests they’ve had with the proper Certificate of Recovery and we’re excused from the 4/1 testing for the 4/2 leg. We did test negative for the 3/26 leg on 3/24 so we didn’t need to use the C of R but didn’t want to hassle on the second leg. 
I can’t answer any questions on what they’ll accept in lieu of the exact verbiage on their site. We did exactly as required. 

Harry 

10 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

We just had our BTB meeting with the Documentation Officer on the Reflection. We were the first guests they’ve had with the proper Certificate of Recovery and we’re excused from the 4/1 testing for the 4/2 leg. We did test negative for the 3/26 leg on 3/24 so we didn’t need to use the C of R but didn’t want to hassle on the second leg. 
I can’t answer any questions on what they’ll accept in lieu of the exact verbiage on their site. We did exactly as required. 

Harry 

@harrywpb: as my post immediately above suggests, I might not be in a position to get a Certificate of Recovery, because at the moment I don't have a documentable infection.  But we are taking our first B2B in a month, and I am interested in how this works in the Covid era.  I gather that if you did not have the CoR, you would have been required to test negative in order to stay on for the second leg of the trip?  And if so, was Celebrity going to provide testing for you (with or without charge), or was that still up to you to deal with?  If the latter, one could obviously bring additional proctored Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card tests, but it is just a matter of calculating how many you think you will need for the entire trip and not running out of tests.

Thanks for your help.

Tom & Judy

Just now, TFree said:

@harrywpb: as my post immediately above suggests, I might not be in a position to get a Certificate of Recovery, because at the moment I don't have a documentable infection.  But we are taking our first B2B in a month, and I am interested in how this works in the Covid era.  I gather that if you did not have the CoR, you would have been required to test negative in order to stay on for the second leg of the trip?  And if so, was Celebrity going to provide testing for you (with or without charge), or was that still up to you to deal with?  If the latter, one could obviously bring additional proctored Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card tests, but it is just a matter of calculating how many you think you will need for the entire trip and not running out of tests.

Thanks for your help.

Tom & Judy

BTB tests are complimentary and are administered by Celebrity. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:28 AM, go.without.you said:

Okaaaayyyyyy....but I didn't go to a dr. If everyone that had Covid went to a dr....imagine.

And I just went to the Dr yesterday for an annual. UGH! Should I get this form in case my test comes back positive next week? 

I know this is a little past the point for you. But, we certainly called our doctor when we had covid. I think that for most people that was standard practice. We did antigen tests at home. Called the doctor's office and they scheduled a telehealth visit (via phone) with the doctor and then a follow up PCR test the next day. Alot of people with covid did need doctor's documentation for work (we got the sick leave for free) so think this was common. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, DWhit said:

Hi @DWhit: whenever you have a chance, please let us know how things went at boarding, and whether you used the Certificate of Recovery?  This looks like it is a moot point for me now, but I am still curious.

Tom & Judy

On 4/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, TFree said:

Hi @DWhit: whenever you have a chance, please let us know how things went at boarding, and whether you used the Certificate of Recovery?  This looks like it is a moot point for me now, but I am still curious.

Tom & Judy

We just got back to civilization this morning.  I did use the Certificate and it was very easy.  It took maybe 30 seconds for a lady at a table to check the dates, and off we went.  

I think it actually saved us a little time since they took us from a line outside to a table inside.

• Thanks 3

On 3/28/2022 at 11:47 AM, TFree said:

Thanks for your help.

Tom & Judy

If you took PCR tests then you should have official documentation from the lab that did the test. If that test is more than 10 days old but less than 90 you can get an official Certificate of Recovery from a Medical expert or the Health Dept.  I live in Ga.  I tested positive on Jan. 30.  Late Feb. I filled out the paperwork (very easy) and sent it by email to the Ga. Dept. of Health.  Since I tested positive at CVS Pharmacy they already had a record of my test, but I kept the Positive test too.  I was issued a signed letter of Recovery a few days later and carry it with me (and will until the 90 days are up) just in case. But I have done antigen tests twice since (we went to The Bahamas) and was negative both times.  

If you have the official Positive record, you should definitely get your Certificate of Recovery and I'd suggest you start with the state Health Dept. (seems more official to me).  It doesn't hurt and is nice to have in your back pocket if needed. 

2 hours ago, DWhit said:

We just got back to civilization this morning.  I did use the Certificate and it was very easy.  It took maybe 30 seconds for a lady at a table to check the dates, and off we went.  

I think it actually saved us a little time since they took us from a line outside to a table inside.

May I ask where you got your certificate of recovery? Florida health departments don’t issue them. I have seen a few ads for telehealth companies that offer the service. Getting one from my primary is not going to be an easy task. We did per tests at CVS so we have those results to provide. Thanks!

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If you took PCR tests then you should have official documentation from the lab that did the test. If that test is more than 10 days old but less than 90 you can get an official Certificate of Recovery from a Medical expert or the Health Dept.  I live in Ga.  I tested positive on Jan. 30.  Late Feb. I filled out the paperwork (very easy) and sent it by email to the Ga. Dept. of Health.  Since I tested positive at CVS Pharmacy they already had a record of my test, but I kept the Positive test too.  I was issued a signed letter of Recovery a few days later and carry it with me (and will until the 90 days are up) just in case. But I have done antigen tests twice since (we went to The Bahamas) and was negative both times.  

If you have the official Positive record, you should definitely get your Certificate of Recovery and I'd suggest you start with the state Health Dept. (seems more official to me).  It doesn't hurt and is nice to have in your back pocket if needed. 

@papaflamingo - no, won't work for me.  I had a "presumptively positive" on a PCR, followed by a couple of "positives" on home antigen tests, but every subsequent PCR has come back "negative," including PCRs done in between the positive antigens.  I know, makes no sense.  I thought it was a case of false positives and a presumptively positive, but a Dr. on these boards said it could have been a very low level infection cleared rapidly out of my system.  Since I never had a properly documented PCR, I can't use this method.  But I remain interested given my near miss.

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, LINGBER said:

May I ask where you got your certificate of recovery? Florida health departments don’t issue them. I have seen a few ads for telehealth companies that offer the service. Getting one from my primary is not going to be an easy task. We did per tests at CVS so we have those results to provide. Thanks!

I got my primary care doctor to write a letter saying I caught Covid on such and such date, and that I was now recovered.  He signed it electronically and it was on his associated Hospital letterhead.  It really was not a Certificate.  But, as mentioned I had no issues with Celebrity boarding.

• Like 2

I was just reading another post about contact tracing on board and being subjected to quarantine and testing after close contact with a passenger who tested positive. Wondering how Celebrity handles that for passengers who are traveling with a certificate of recovery? There probably is not an answer to be found. But if they can’t subject you to testing if you have a certificate of recovery. I’m wondering if there are any quarantining restrictions Or if they will just treat you as if you are exempt because you already  had Covid within the last 90 days?

Edited by LINGBER

5 hours ago, LINGBER said:

I was just reading another post about contact tracing on board and being subjected to quarantine and testing after close contact with a passenger who tested positive. Wondering how Celebrity handles that for passengers who are traveling with a certificate of recovery? There probably is not an answer to be found. But if they can’t subject you to testing if you have a certificate of recovery. I’m wondering if there are any quarantining restrictions Or if they will just treat you as if you are exempt because you already  had Covid within the last 90 days?

Very interesting question.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:23 AM, TFree said:

@papaflamingo - no, won't work for me.  I had a "presumptively positive" on a PCR, followed by a couple of "positives" on home antigen tests, but every subsequent PCR has come back "negative," including PCRs done in between the positive antigens.  I know, makes no sense.  I thought it was a case of false positives and a presumptively positive, but a Dr. on these boards said it could have been a very low level infection cleared rapidly out of my system.  Since I never had a properly documented PCR, I can't use this method.  But I remain interested given my near miss.

Tom & Judy

Then you are in a unique situation.  But then it sounds like you never were officially diagnosed as positive covid so you shouldn't have a problem.  In fact, the reason that they suggest a PCR after a positive antigen is that there are cases of false positives on the antigen test.   If you receive a negative test (even after a positive antigen) then you are good to go.  Simply use your negative test for travel.  

We are talking about getting a Fit to Travel certificate for people who have a documented positive covid test within 90 days. If you don't fit into that category then you don't fit into that category.  

Edited by papaflamingo

On 3/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, go.without.you said:

Just really pisses me off that then sent this less than 10 days before the sail date. There are only 5 business days between now and then. Not cool, Celebrity. Not cool.

This is the US government's ridiculous rule. Put the blame where it lies. 

On 4/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, DWhit said:

I got my primary care doctor to write a letter saying I caught Covid on such and such date, and that I was now recovered.  He signed it electronically and it was on his associated Hospital letterhead.  It really was not a Certificate.  But, as mentioned I had no issues with Celebrity boarding.

I did the same and had my covid test result (positive) and used that to return to the US from Mexico. Easy.

I just noticed something interesting.  I am posting this here in case others have not noticed this.

We are doing B2B cruises on the Apex starting in 17 days.  The first one is the transatlantic, and as noted above, the rule there for a Certificate of Recovery is that you have to have a positive PCR result within the previous 11-90 days.  The same time period is true for re-entry to the U.S., as well as for Alaska and Hawaii cruises.  I don't qualify for this, because I did not get a positive PCR test within the previous 90 days (my false positives or whatever they were were Antigen tests, along with one "Presumptively Positive" on a PCR test).

However, for the second cruise (British Isles out of Amsterdam), the rule is different.  It requires a positive PCR within the previous 11-180 days.  The same 11-180 days rule applies to cruises involving Southampton, Barcelona, and Italy as well as Amsterdam.  I actually did have a documented PCR positive Covid result at the end of December, 2021, and continued testing positive into January.  So I am going to attempt to get a Certificate of Recovery from my doctor, which should take some of the risk out of the equation for my second cruise.  Here is the language from the "Amsterdam Travel Requirements" page:

Guests who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may present a Certificate of Recovery and proof of the positive PCR test result taken between 11 and less than 180 days prior to the sail date in order to board. The Certificate of Recovery can be presented as an NHS COVID Pass, EU Certificate of Recovery or as a letter from a healthcare provider. In addition, you must still present a vaccination card. Please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination. We will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in place of a vaccination record***.

Tom & Judy

Just to update people following this thread.  I did get the Certificate of Recovery from my doctor for the December infection (less than 180 days) - which should suffice for the second cruise on May 14 out of Amsterdam, but will not suffice for the first (transatlantic) cruise - since that one requires a positive PCR test within 11-90 days prior to the cruise.

In the meantime, last week I did get a positive PCR again, followed a few days later by a negative PCR.  So I now do have a positive PCR within 11-90 days, and I did get a second Certificate of Recovery letter from my doctor.  The second letter is way more equivocal than I would have liked (suggesting that it might well be a false positive), but I intend to use it (hopefully with a backup proctored antigen test in my pocket as a backup plan), mainly so I can report back and hopefully confirm that there is no problem traveling with a Certificate of Recovery meeting all the requirements.

Tom & Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Certificate of Recovery Update.  We boarded the Apex this morning, with both a Certificate of Recovery in hand for me (Tom) and negative antigen tests for both of us (my backup in case I had trouble with the Certificate of Recovery).  The first person who greeted us never seemed to have heard of a Certificate of Recovery, so I just showed him my negative antigen test, because otherwise he was going to need to call someone else over to talk with me.   The second and third people we encountered were familiar with them, and said that the procedure was that I would be sent over to see the medical officer, who (my speculation) would have inspected my letter, checked the positive PCR result, and probably take my temperature.  At that point, I just decided to short-circuit things by showing them my negative antigen test, to get on the ship.   But it is clear that the Certificates of Recovery are accepted, and it seems clear that they are accepted in lieu of a negative test result.  It is just that you have to go see the medical officer.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TFree said:

But it is clear that the Certificates of Recovery are accepted, and it seems clear that they are accepted in lieu of a negative test result. 

Celebrity's website is already quite clear on this. Were there reports of a C of R being rejected for boarding?

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity's website is already quite clear on this. Were there reports of a C of R being rejected for boarding?

No, but many people seem uncertain or unaware. Also, @Jim_Iainreported that they were not accepting them for a B2B cruise. I intend to test that at the end of this first cruise. 

Tom & Judy