How was I supposed to know what terminal in Miami was our ship before arriving?

Jezo

2 minutes ago, Jezo said:

We saw it but didn't think we should go to it.  Seems kind of dumb now but I did airport logic.  I don't care if my plane is at gate a23 or a189, I go to the terminal and go to my airline's check in.. did the same thing here, we are traveling RC so we went to the RC terminal.  Lesson learned for Miami!

Yes I follow you.  I was lucky in Shanghai - no signs at the port or if there were, they were in Chinese. Taxi driver who didn't speak English asked which ship I was on through sign language.  I pointed at the Celebrity ship - the only other ship was a HAL ship so it was easy enough. 

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

yet another way is google maps or waze.  I found it in 10 seconds

Screenshot_20220312-141333_Maps.jpg

You said you found "it" in 10 seconds.  But what do you consider to be "it"?  Just any RC terminal, or the specific one that a specific ship is departing from?

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

If Ubering the onus is on the passenger to specify the correct destination.  There is scam going around where you tell an Uber to go to destination X in the app but then ask them to go to destination Y in the car.  You get out and cancel the ride based on the diver not taking you to the correct destination.  Consequently Uber drivers will only go to the exact location you specify in the app.  If you need terminal G you need to put that in the app.   You won't know that from your hotel unless you look.  

When driving you come out of a dark tunnel and in the bright sunlight upon exiting the tunnel when in traffic it's easy to miss the sign boards.  They are there but easily missed.  

So the wise thing to do is know where you are going before getting there.

I never said you shouldn't be able to find it from whatever means, the issue is (IMO of course) you shouldn't HAVE to use google, marine traffic, or whatever.  

Again, I used google maps.  I started at the entrance to the port (near as I could tell) and "drove" down the road until I saw the signs.  I don't remember any tunnel.

I will say, I don't find this a failure on Royal's part, but a failure on the port.  You would think they'd make it easy for passengers to find (and get) where they're goin. 

13 minutes ago, Jezo said:

We saw it but didn't think we should go to it.  Seems kind of dumb now but I did airport logic.  I don't care if my plane is at gate a23 or a189, I go to the terminal and go to my airline's check in.. did the same thing here, we are traveling RC so we went to the RC terminal.  Lesson learned for Miami!

That sort of works in smaller cruise ports like Tampa or Galveston where you can walk between terminals, but in places like Miami, Port Everglades, LA or Port Canaveral the cruise terminals are not walkable.  Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I never said you shouldn't be able to find it from whatever means, the issue is (IMO of course) you shouldn't HAVE to use google, marine traffic, or whatever.  

Again, I used google maps.  I started at the entrance to the port (near as I could tell) and "drove" down the road until I saw the signs.  I don't remember any tunnel.

I will say, I don't find this a failure on Royal's part, but a failure on the port.  You would think they'd make it easy for passengers to find (and get) where they're goin. 

Yes it is an issue with PortMiami. The signage at Port Everglades is much better. The only thing people complain about PE is you have to show your passport to get in and that sometimes it holds up the line. Also, there is a convention center in there and when there is an event there it gets really crowded. 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

While I'm sure those are all good suggestions, that seems a strange thing to ask of cruisers in 2022. 

I'm not sure why you say that. These days, looking online for information is my first thought, especially I know I need to specify a destination for Uber or Lyft. When I sailed out of Miami last year, one of the first things I did was look for, find, and review the port schedule for the correct terminal, and I then confirmed it on embarkation day before calling a car. 

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I'm not sure why you say that. These days, looking online for information is my first thought, especially I know I need to specify a destination for Uber or Lyft. When I sailed out of Miami last year, one of the first things I did was look for, find, and review the port schedule for the correct terminal, and I then confirmed it on embarkation day before calling a car. 

Because I feel ports should be able to post the information for those who don't have or don't know how to use the internet?  Or, heaven forbid, something changes on where a ship has to dock?  Or yes, as part of the boarding documents, tell your passengers where to go (preferably with an address). 

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Because I feel ports should be able to post the information for those who don't have or don't know how to use the internet?  Or, heaven forbid, something changes on where a ship has to dock?  Or yes, as part of the boarding documents, tell your passengers where to go (preferably with an address). 

If you're driving yourself or taking a cab, then signs work fine. As mentioned above, the signs are there. 

If you're taking an Uber or Lyft, then it's time to learn to use the internet. You're here, so it can't be that much of a stretch. 

9 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If you're driving yourself or taking a cab, then signs work fine. As mentioned above, the signs are there. 

If you're taking an Uber or Lyft, then it's time to learn to use the internet. You're here, so it can't be that much of a stretch. 

I thought the signs WEREN'T there which was the point of the OP.  

Obviously *I* can use the internet.  Not everyone is so fortunate (or as skilled).