Question regarding disembarkation day excursions

hallux

This isn't really port-specific so I'm putting this in the NCL forum.

I'm sailing Saturday (March 19) on the Joy from Miami.  I don't have a flight until 6:30 PM on disembarkation day so I'm planning on taking the Everglades excursion.  Does taking an excursion require that I put my bag out the night before?  I've always done self-disembarkation. I hate not having access to my main luggage, though I do plan to have a small bag that I'm bringing on the plane down so I can have at least a change of clothes if my main bag is lost so I will have something I can use for the overnight needs.

Side question, which I'll also do some research on but I was typing here - does MIA have rooms (besides the main restrooms) where I could at least change clothes?  I would prefer to wear shorts on the excursion but pants for the flight.  A shower would be nice also, but I'll bring some wipes I can clean up with.

Thanks!

We did a disembarkation tour in New Orleans last month and we did have to put our luggage out the night before. In hindsight I wouldn't again as we had to claim our bags in the terminal the next morning before going thru customs and take it to the bus ourselves. Kinda weird, don't see the point except we didn't have to drag it to the meeting point in the theater in the morning.

@hallux

We have done more than one debarkation tour to airports and am sure that we had to(/could) put special labels (specific coloured) on our luggage and collect them to go through customs as normal.  That meant a special time for debarkation so all pax doing tours were "in a group"; supposedly!!!!!!!

However I see no reason why you couldn't do "walk-off" and then go to your bus after customs.   But you have to ensure you are there on time.

I don't know if this would work, but the Miami Airport has a hotel right in the airport at the E concourse (Miami International Airport Hotel or something generic like that)- I wonder if they rent "day rooms' for a couple of hours so that you could change and shower before your flight? We've stayed there a couple times- the rooms are decent, and were a lower price than I expected for an in-airport hotel.

Yeah, the whole customs thing is one benefit to the self walk-off option.

@casofilia thanks, I might just have to take my chances, provided they're not doing the meets in the theater as they do on regular excursions

@rjm11 I did see the hotel, but the smallest room is $150 and is a full hotel room with a bed and everything.  I was hoping for some room like at a truck stop, that has a private shower and a dressing area, that I could rent for 30 minutes or an hour to shower and change.

I see no reason you couldn't walk off and put your colored excursion tags on your luggage when you get to the terminal.  Just pay attention to the times given for your tags, since there might not be anyone to direct you to the bus if you are early.

Even if they are doing the meets in the theater, you should be OK unless they happen to be giving out numbered stickers (highly doubtful).

I have done two airport drop off excursions since the restart and both times they requested luggage out the night before. And both times we met in a restaurant on the same floor as debarkation (6, maybe) and all walked off together to our luggage so no stairs.  Most ports I have been in the past 3 years (including Miami) have used face recognition to get off the ship and there has been no stopping at customs...just grab your bag and go thru the exit.  

Wish I had an answer to your other question. I typically fly Delta and use their Sky Club to change and grab a bit to eat before my flight (they have showers also in some airports).

30 minutes ago, casofilia said:

unless they happen to be giving out numbered stickers (highly doubtful).

That is only likely if there are a number of debark tours and/or more than one bus for any tour.   Then you will cause headaches!!!!

On the Bliss last month they gave us stickers at the same time they gave us our luggage tags (mine was a transfer, not an excursion).  Stickers for transfers, stickers for immigration/customs if you didn't have a US passport, I don't know what else.  Made it easy to direct people to the right area once they were off the ship and had collected luggage.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I was hoping for some room like at a truck stop, that has a private shower and a dressing area, that I could rent for 30 minutes or an hour to shower and change.

If I were you, I'd look into what airport lounges sell day passes, and have the amenities you're looking for.  From what I've seen, if a lounge sells a day pass, it's usually somewhere around $50-60. 

Thanks all.  I'm flying Southwest, which appears to use the same section of the airport as Delta (which would make their club easily-accessible) but is on the other side of the airport from the hotel.  I assumed I could only pay for entry to the Delta club (which is after security so I definitely need to plan ahead on the bag front) if I was flying on Delta.  In doing some research - it seems the one-day passes were discontinued in 2018.

In talking with someone else - it seems long pants may be advisable for the airboat (I haven't been on one before), that lessens the need for sunscreen on my legs, making cleanup a little easier.  Reef-safe sunscreen is nasty, definitely worth cleaning up before the flight.

Edited by hallux