Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Arrived back at the Moon around 5:30 pm and joined the queue for COVID testing.   Things moved along well.

The excursion to see the Bayeux Tapestry was amazing!   The guide was excellent!  The Tapestry is a wonder to see and the audio delivered through individual audio sets that looked like a cell phone was well paced and entertaining!  The excursion included lunch which was more like a dinner and was spectacular.  Egg tart with salad, followed by duck with pureed carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Dessert was an apple disassembled pie with ice cream.  The excursion cost was $249 USD each and worth every penny! 

Mysty in the tapestry, did you notice the man pushing his member in a wheelbarrow? -- those nuns had a sense of humor. 

• Haha 3

Just now, dusababy said:

Mysty in the tapestry, did you notice the man pushing his member in a wheelbarrow? -- those nuns had a sense of humor. 

Obviously size counts! 😅

• Haha 2

Photos were not permitted for our visit to the Bayeux Tapestry.  As a consolation prize here are photos of the Bayeux Cathedral (also known as Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Bayeux). 

DSC08987.JPG.4b1554164b0421fe53a9083788cc1254.JPG

DSC08989.JPG.21c28d62e0a5504fb87b28fcdd4d33b3.JPG

DSC08995.JPG.eb23198e4febc885cba72485c01309ae.JPG

DSC09001.JPG.208c9a89fedde2381ce38dfdb594d5e4.JPG

DSC09002.JPG.192d5a7fe65f50fbf120e38c692c816b.JPG

DSC09004.JPG.c6a5a4f0999dc84c4ad442bd25df4e37.JPG

And one of the oldest residences in Bayeux....

DSC09014.JPG.6a7adda4b8beb962de951f7fe4cf0c4e.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

OK, since I am still six years old at heart... I had to look for this on Google. I could not find reference to the first reported Norman case of filariasis, but I did find this interesting article with an in-depth analysis of the 93 depictions of "manhood" in the tapestry. Interestingly, most are on the horses, not the men.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/bayeux-tapestry-penis-why-norman-conquest-battle-hastings-william-conqueror/

PS - the largest was on William's horse. History is written by the winners.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 5/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, mysty said:

I'm going to hustle to post before we lose internet access.  Our excursion was to the Norman Abbeys outside of Rouen.  First up was Abbaye de Jumieges.

DSC08914.JPG.f9dda0889491a569f2902733edc92de6.JPG

DSC08916.JPG.7457b1c8bcf6a3aef7fa7a80bba16fb5.JPG

DSC08920.JPG.3468bc8bc21e60a3a95b83a37dcd78ff.JPG

DSC08924.JPG.5d6e85d3cb560d9248c40e8e87b6bdfa.JPG

Next was Abbaye Saint Georges de Boscherville.

DSC08944.JPG.4beade8d9fd6ead00f9953b321000829.JPG

DSC08947.JPG.d457c35e98a1ddb61da8955a4e48c832.JPG

I had other pics I intended to post.  However, CC is definitely having issues with portrait as opposed to landscape shots.  I refuse to jump through hoops to get these to post.  CC kindly fix your issues!

I visited it in my last cruise 2019!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mysty said:

Arrived back at the Moon around 5:30 pm and joined the queue for COVID testing.   Things moved along well.

The excursion to see the Bayeux Tapestry was amazing!   The guide was excellent!  The Tapestry is a wonder to see and the audio delivered through individual audio sets that looked like a cell phone was well paced and entertaining!  The excursion included lunch which was more like a dinner and was spectacular.  Egg tart with salad, followed by duck with pureed carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Dessert was an apple disassembled pie with ice cream.  The excursion cost was $249 USD each and worth every penny! 

Hi Mysty, was this a cruise line tour? If so, they provided you with the Audio Boxes? So no need to use your personal phone?

Thanks for any info. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the (not entirely) United Kingdom, mysty and myster.  You may have fairly good weather, with luck.  I do hope you will have interesting things to see; friendly people to chat to, and happy memories when you leave us.

Looking forward to hearing about your visit.

Lola

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Azure Dragon said:

Mysty, do you know which tour you are doing in Liverpool on Saturday? I am going to try and see SM come up the Mersey and then come and view her from dockside later in the day.

We're not doing a ship tour in Liverpool.   We're hoping to meet up with a friend. 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Mysty, was this a cruise line tour? If so, they provided you with the Audio Boxes? So no need to use your personal phone?

Thanks for any info. 

It was a ship tour. The audio equipment was provided by the Bayeux Tapestry staff.   Not VOX.   It was about the size of a slim cell phone that you held up to your ear.

Just now, lincslady said:

Welcome to the (not entirely) United Kingdom, mysty and myster.  You may have fairly good weather, with luck.  I do hope you will have interesting things to see; friendly people to chat to, and happy memories when you leave us.

Looking forward to hearing about your visit.

Lola

Thanks Lola!   In order not to be penned up in the Panorama Lounge we are taking a ship tour called New Forest Experience.   Not sure what to expect!  Stay tuned.....

Hi mysty, I'm enjoying your cruise very much. How have you found the crowds?  I recall seeing the Bayeux Tapestry many moons ago (pun intended!) and it was really difficult to get anywhere near it because of the crowds. I'm hoping their tourism is recovering.

• Like 1

Great  to get away on a changeover day, and it is a lovely part of the world.  It is going to be sunny and warm round here; hoping it will be similar in Hampshire.  And maybe a good lunch somewhere?

Lola

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Hi mysty, I'm enjoying your cruise very much. How have you found the crowds?  I recall seeing the Bayeux Tapestry many moons ago (pun intended!) and it was really difficult to get anywhere near it because of the crowds. I'm hoping their tourism is recovering.

Thanks Turtle!  Ours was a group tour and we moved in a single row right along the railing.   We could easily lean in to get a closer view of the stitches.   Incredible! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Great  to get away on a changeover day, and it is a lovely part of the world.  It is going to be sunny and warm round here; hoping it will be similar in Hampshire.  And maybe a good lunch somewhere?

Lola

Lola our excursion took us to Buckler's Hard on the Beaulieu River.   Beautiful spot.  Now back on the Moon enjoying a Silver Spirit.   Photos to follow (hopefully). 

• Like 2

Photos from Buckler's Hard Village on the Beaulieu River....

DSC09027.JPG.3a2e549528c4cde3896c3d0e19a2d38a.JPG

DSC09016.JPG.b4da3287fbc03a426c0aa6f1a1e7bb8f.JPG

DSC09025.JPG.68c53e12cc385367a10ac7054205fc8f.JPG

DSC09026.JPG.b0d330f257615bc36746ac0da47ea07d.JPG

DSC09032.JPG.13e42eea7129857e5490961fb0889a2b.JPG

DSC09036.JPG.5afb2a679d463072e8028a525fe67341.JPG

I'm experimenting with the size of the photos to see if I can post portrait.  No joy.  Limited now to landscape shots.  Apologies!

We arrived back on the Moon around 1:15 pm,  Suite was ready.  We headed to the Pool deck for lunch.

• Like 4

I wonder if you saw anything of Beaulieu Abbey (pronounced bewly, as you probably know).  The National Motor Museum is there, also the seat of Lord Montagu.

Many years ago my DH had lunch there with the then Lord Montagu (the infamous one) - I can't remember the business connection - and was given roast goose, shot on the estate.  He loved the goose, not so much Lord M (I think he was a bit suspicious of him, unsurprisingly).  Anyone interested can look up the reason for the suspicions online.

Lola

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I wonder if you saw anything of Beaulieu Abbey (pronounced bewly, as you probably know).  The National Motor Museum is there, also the seat of Lord Montagu.

Many years ago my DH had lunch there with the then Lord Montagu (the infamous one) - I can't remember the business connection - and was given roast goose, shot on the estate.  He loved the goose, not so much Lord M (I think he was a bit suspicious of him, unsurprisingly).  Anyone interested can look up the reason for the suspicions online.

Lola

Lola we drove by the National Motor Museum.  There was no mention of anything untoward with any Lord Montagu.  Did not see the Abbey.  And the pronunciation of the place name threw me for a loop.  In Canada that would be pronounced very differently.  I think JP would also agree! 😅

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mysty said:

And the pronunciation of the place name threw me for a loop.  In Canada that would be pronounced very differently.  I think JP would also agree! 😅

It goes against all of my instincts. I can't say claret either. And I had a professor named Beauchamp in grad school, who was English and said it "Beecham" which still bothers me to this day.

Glad you can at least post some pretty landscape photos, with both meanings of the word.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It goes against all of my instincts. I can't say claret either. And I had a professor named Beauchamp in grad school, who was English and said it "Beecham" which still bothers me to this day.

Glad you can at least post some pretty landscape photos, with both meanings of the word.

Drive down the East Coast sometime, stopping at Beaufort, NC [pronounced b'yew-fort[ and then Beaufort, SC [pronounced bo-fort].

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Drive down the East Coast sometime, stopping at Beaufort, NC [pronounced b'yew-fort[ and then Beaufort, SC [pronounced bo-fort].

Ugh. And there's a city in Kentucky named Versailles. My Aunt lived nearby in the 1990s. They pronounced it "Ver-sails"

Ok. Sorry for going OT, mysty. Now I need to get back to work. 

• Haha 1

mysty - they would not mention the (previous) Lord Montagu.  It was a big scandal in the UK, let's just say it was before homosexuality was considered acceptable.

You in the US do also have some funny pronunciations - not sure about Canada, probably more pure because of the French influence.  We have some humdingers - Cholmondely is Chumley;  Featherstonehaugh is Fanshawe.  We only do it to annoy foreigners.  And Loughborough is Luffburrer.  I feel sure you won't have any problems in your trip around our islands,  mysty.

Lola

• Like 1

Not to mention Sissister for Cirencester. 
And Lesta for Leicester. It is in Lestasheer that you will find Luffbra (another  pronunciation of Loughborough). 
Then there’s the London Borough of Southwark, better known as the Burra ov Suthuk. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Haha 2