Cape Liberty pre & post cruise

Lorey2007

Thinking of booking Bermuda on Liberty OTS May 2023.  I'm a planner we would need a hotel one night pre cruise and 2 nights post cruise.  Would like info on going to NY to see Memorial, Statue of Liberty etc post cruise.  Are there any tour companies that do tours out of Cape Liberty hotels?  Any and all info is appreciated to help me decide if I should book this cruise.

I am not aware of tours from NJ into NYC. Perhaps Google will provide results. For your post cruise stay, hotels in Jersey City would be my recommendation. Views of lower Manhattan from the Jersey City waterfront, especially at night, are worth the extra hotel cost.

Easy transit from Jersey City via PATH trains to lower Manhattan or midtown. New York Waterway and Liberty Landing both provide ferry service from Jersey City to NYC, though limited service on weekends.

Statue of Liberty can be visited from Liberty State Park in Jersey City. There is a light rail station at Liberty State Park but it is more than a mile walk to the ferry departure, taxi or Uber instead.

For your arrival stay, if you chose hotels in the EWR area focus on those in Elizabeth NJ along International Boulevard as they are within walking distance of Jersey Gardens mall which will have dining options. Most other EWR area hotels have limited dining options as well as being in isolated areas. If your arrival is late at night those hotels would suffice but if arriving before dinner avoid them.

If you do stay in downtown Newark hotels post cruise, transit into NYC is from Newark Penn Station. NJ Transit trains and PATH trains are available at NPS.  NJ Transit trains end at New York Penn Station. PATH trains from NPS terminate at World Trade Center in NYC. To go to midtown using PATH, you would have to transfer at 'Journal Square' station in Jersey City to the PATH train going to 33rd Street NYC.

Since your post cruise stay is primarily  focused on sightseeing in NY City I'd suggest staying in Manhattan rather than in Jersey City. Although it's not a long trip from Jersey City to Manhattan and under other circumstances I've certainly recommended staying in Jersey City, but why bother doing that roundtrip for your two day stay? 

A hotel in the lower Manhattan -Wall St. area would suit your needs.

As @meadowlandersays, one of the five hotels on International Blvd. in Elizabeth that are adjacent to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall and a couple of chain restaurants, IHOP and Ruby Tuesday are where I often recommend staying pre cruise. As long as you're just looking for a place to spend the night prior to your cruise that area provides the best combination of cost and convenience.

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Since your post cruise stay is primarily  focused on sightseeing in NY City I'd suggest staying in Manhattan rather than in Jersey City. Although it's not a long trip from Jersey City to Manhattan and under other circumstances I've certainly recommended staying in Jersey City, but why bother doing that roundtrip for your two day stay? 

A hotel in the lower Manhattan -Wall St. area would suit your needs.

As @meadowlandersays, one of the five hotels on International Blvd. in Elizabeth that are adjacent to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall and a couple of chain restaurants, IHOP and Ruby Tuesday are where I often recommend staying pre cruise. As long as you're just looking for a place to spend the night prior to your cruise that area provides the best combination of cost and convenience.

Do you have the names of some of those hotels in that Manhattan Wall St area?

Can we get Uber or taxi from the ship to that area and then back to EWR after our 2 night stay?

11 hours ago, meadowlander said:

For your arrival stay, if you chose hotels in the EWR area focus on those in Elizabeth NJ along International Boulevard as they are within walking distance of Jersey Gardens mall which will have dining options. Most other EWR area hotels have limited dining options as well as being in isolated areas. If your arrival is late at night those hotels would suffice but if arriving before dinner avoid them.

Can you provide me the names of some of those hotels on International?

Edited by Lorey2007

58 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Do you have the names of some of those hotels in that Manhattan Wall St area?

Can we get Uber or taxi from the ship to that area and then back to EWR after our 2 night stay?

There are probably at least two dozen hotels in the immediate area. You can get an idea by looking at any of the internet booking engines, such as expedia.com, hotel.com, booking.com, etc. Two hotels that are adjacent to the World Trade Center site that my son and DIL have stayed at are the Club Quarters and the World Center hotels, but again there are many properties in a wide range of prices.

Yes you can use Uber or Lyft from the port to hotel and back. Another option is a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

You don't want to use a taxi when going from one state to another as they're not required to make such trips and even if they agree to you'll likely pay far too much.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Can you provide me the names of some of those hotels on International?

I can tell you. There are five hotels there.  Country Inn and Suites, Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Embassy Suites and Extended Stay America.

Any internet hotel booking engine can give you prices and information.

• 1 month later...

Would we be able to get a cab to go to Cape Liberty port or a shuttle back to airport to get a cab to port?  I thought about staying at the Marriot at the airport for convenience but now maybe the others choices mentioned above may offer more to do and less money.  

2 hours ago, dazey said:

Would we be able to get a cab to go to Cape Liberty port or a shuttle back to airport to get a cab to port?  I thought about staying at the Marriot at the airport for convenience but now maybe the others choices mentioned above may offer more to do and less money.  

Just take Uber or Lyft directly from whatever hotel you're at to the port. No need to go back to the airport if you're not staying at the airport  Marriott .