RCI European Sailing Protocols

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

The call centers don´t have a clue at all. They can only read what´s on the website (or their information system). I doubt that even a supervisor may do better as the supervisor has the same information.

NCL had it completely wrong on their website and a lot of people were not allowed boarding (partly because they didn´t have the booster and the last shot was more than 270 days, no mention on their website that you need a booster to board then / partly because the booster was less than 14 days ago - as there is no 14 days rule they should have been allowed boarding). Now they got it right on their website.

It´s a total mess...

steamboats

Yes, I totally agree. One operator told me that I wouldn't be allowed off the ship in France because that was the regulation and then put me on hold for ages to talk to their supervisor and came back and said that the supervisor had told him the same thing and that they did not have any further information. Basically they have put a "French government regulation" on the website but no-one at the call centres know anything about it. I think all cruise companies are in the same position where the call centres either don't know or don't understand some of the rules that appear on their websites. Hopefully things will (and probably will) change before my cruise.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

@PurpleTraveller any chance to get a written information from the French embassy? Even an email answer to your question would be good... Then you have something in your hands to present when they think that you are not allowed to disembark.

The only rule which affected cruise passengers was when France decided that people over a certain age (I think they started with 65 in November and 18 in January) are not regarded as fully vaccinated anymore without a booster. Back then cruise ship passengers who weren´t boostered were not allowed to disembark in a French port. But that was not a specific cruise regulation. By Feb 1st the EU regulation set in (270 days after your second shot you need the booster to be regarded fully vaccinated) and that former French regulation was gone.

steamboats

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

@PurpleTraveller any chance to get a written information from the French embassy? Even an email answer to your question would be good... Then you have something in your hands to present when they think that you are not allowed to disembark.

The only rule which affected cruise passengers was when France decided that people over a certain age (I think they started with 65 in November and 18 in January) are not regarded as fully vaccinated anymore without a booster. Back then cruise ship passengers who weren´t boostered were not allowed to disembark in a French port. But that was not a specific cruise regulation. By Feb 1st the EU regulation set in (270 days after your second shot you need the booster to be regarded fully vaccinated) and that former French regulation was gone.

steamboats

Thanks for a great idea. I will contact the French embassy this week. Also thank you for the information about the previous French regulations. Much appreciated. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:02 PM, mdepsmom said:

I'm booked on B2B Brilliance 5/22 and 5/29 out of Ravenna.  Final payment for the first leg is due next week.  I will be cancelling and had been waiting for them to release the Europe protocols, which frankly have left me more confused than I was before due to inconsistent language.

I booked under CWC and have paid a total of $1,000 so far ($500/week, non-refundable deposits).  Would really like to get a refund rather than FCC's especially since I don't know if I can cruise by 5/22/23.  My adult son was cruising with me -- he has had two doses but no booster (he had a bad reaction to the 2nd shot and is very reluctant to get the booster as a result), and his 2nd dose was over 270 days ago. 

So here are my questions:  Will the fact that his last dose was more than 270 days ago and no booster be a sufficient or accepted reason for me to say I don't agree with their protocols -- so that I can get a refund instead of FCC's?  Anyone have any luck canceling Europe cruises yet due to not agreeing w/ the newly-released protocols, and been told they'll get a refund instead of FCC?

TIA!

Did you clarify this? Booked on Odyssey 7th of may. 2 doses outside the 270 days, no booster. Do we Get fcc or money back og we cancel due to protocols? Paid in full

On 4/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, yogini06 said:

They are also using this "EU Healthy Gateways" for cruise ship protocols in the EU in addition to each countries' requirements

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_April2022.pdf?ver=2022-04-06-152525-527

As I’ve been following this drama, something just didn’t seem right.  Every other cruise line is doing testing no more than one day before embarkation.  Yet RCL is saying up to two days before sailing out of Barcelona.  I just browsed this Healthy Gateways document, which governs cruise ships in Europe, and sure enough it mandates testing no more than one day before embarkation.  I sure hope RCL is not setting people up for disappointment when they find out their tests were taken too early.  Those first Barcelona cruisers are going to be the Guinea pigs….

On a sad side note, the document is over 60 pages long and a lot of work appears to have been put into it.  My hopes for some of the protocols changing (like testing) as the summer season progresses are low.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fairsailing said:

As I’ve been following this drama, something just didn’t seem right.  Every other cruise line is doing testing no more than one day before embarkation.  Yet RCL is saying up to two days before sailing out of Barcelona.  I just browsed this Healthy Gateways document, which governs cruise ships in Europe, and sure enough it mandates testing no more than one day before embarkation.  I sure hope RCL is not setting people up for disappointment when they find out their tests were taken too early.  Those first Barcelona cruisers are going to be the Guinea pigs….

On a sad side note, the document is over 60 pages long and a lot of work appears to have been put into it.  My hopes for some of the protocols changing (like testing) as the summer season progresses are low.  

For Wonder of the Seas sailing 6th May 2022

We know COVID-19 testing requirements are ever changing and can be confusing. Here are the protocols to board the Wonder of the Seas. They may be different from local requirements, or your country of origin. We are unable to give you individual travel advice to enter Spain, only protocols to board the Ship.

• All guests must produce a negative supervised antigen test result, administered no earlier than the 5th May (one day before sail date – it can be taken any time on this day). This will be at the guests’ expense.

• This is an over 18s event and all guests must be double vaccinated with an EMA or a WHO approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to sail date with proof.

• Double vaccinated (or one shot of J&J) are considered “up to date”

• Guests are responsible for any testing requirements to enter Spain.

1 hour ago, Fairsailing said:

Sorry, not true.

We are on the MSC Seaview from Barcelona on the 6th of May. The Seaview is already operating in Europe. This is a post on the MSC cc area from a passenger actually on the ship on the 9th of April.

"Am now on Seaview. Vaccination docs and 48 hour antigen tests checked and the  questionnaire collected. No check on insurance. Temperature checked and also a lateral flow test done. Latter very quick. Quite efficient, 30 minutes from arrival to having coffee in YC lounge. Masks being worn unless eating etc."

This is what their website states:

ll Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative Antigen or RT-PCR test or antigen test taken within 48 hours before embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal.If you embark on your cruise at 15:00 on a Saturday, you should take your COVID-19 test on the Thursday as of 15:00. Antigen self-tests are accepted for Embarkation only if you show evidence of your negative test result on an official certificate. Test results on an SMS or email will not be accepted.

Edited by TRUEBLUE66
addition

1 hour ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

"Am now on Seaview. Vaccination docs and 48 hour antigen tests checked and the  questionnaire collected. No check on insurance. Temperature checked and also a lateral flow test done. Latter very quick. Quite efficient, 30 minutes from arrival to having coffee in YC lounge. Masks being worn unless eating etc."

That's a bizarre way of doing it - why require an antigen test taken in the 48 hours beforehand if you're then going to do another one at check in?

1 hour ago, beardedladies said:

That's a bizarre way of doing it - why require an antigen test taken in the 48 hours beforehand if you're then going to do another one at check in?

I agree, but their ship and their rules.

Just going to follow them as best we can and hopefully get onboard and have a great cruise!

2 hours ago, beardedladies said:

Is it to reduce the numbers getting an unexpected positive as they are due to board. I saw someone on another board mention that a P&O ferry was late to depart as they had to remove the baggage belonging to people that tested positive at check in…. Just a theory though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sowhat said:

For Wonder of the Seas sailing 6th May 2022

We know COVID-19 testing requirements are ever changing and can be confusing. Here are the protocols to board the Wonder of the Seas. They may be different from local requirements, or your country of origin. We are unable to give you individual travel advice to enter Spain, only protocols to board the Ship.

• All guests must produce a negative supervised antigen test result, administered no earlier than the 5th May (one day before sail date – it can be taken any time on this day). This will be at the guests’ expense.

• This is an over 18s event and all guests must be double vaccinated with an EMA or a WHO approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to sail date with proof.

• Double vaccinated (or one shot of J&J) are considered “up to date”

• Guests are responsible for any testing requirements to enter Spain.

Where is that from? Because the RCL website  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

says:

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.

7 minutes ago, Fairsailing said:

says:

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.

From Royal Caribbean  for  the Wonder European Inaugural Launch event on the 6-8th May in Barcelona!

4 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

Sorry, not true.

We are on the MSC Seaview from Barcelona on the 6th of May. The Seaview is already operating in Europe. This is a post on the MSC cc area from a passenger actually on the ship on the 9th of April.

This is what their website states:

ll Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative Antigen or RT-PCR test or antigen test taken within 48 hours before embarkation. Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal.If you embark on your cruise at 15:00 on a Saturday, you should take your COVID-19 test on the Thursday as of 15:00. Antigen self-tests are accepted for Embarkation only if you show evidence of your negative test result on an official certificate. Test results on an SMS or email will not be accepted.

Actually, true.  MSC is complying with the Healthy Gateways mandate by testing everyone again at embarkation.  Because the 2 day test won’t cut it and is superfluous.  

i guess we’ll wait and see if the Wonder guests get a surprise antigen test at the pier. 

Just now, sowhat said:

From Royal Caribbean  for  the Wonder European Inaugural Launch event on the 6-8th May in Barcelona!

So one of those trips with no stops for travel agents and the like?  Maybe “events” are treated differently 😄

7 minutes ago, Fairsailing said:

So one of those trips with no stops for travel agents and the like?  Maybe “events” are treated differently 😄

No, it  sails  to Valencia  than back to Barcelona.

42 minutes ago, Fairsailing said:

says:

The protocol for May 6th on WOTS it's diferent from the protocol for may 8th (We will board may 8th)

On 4/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, mdepsmom said:

I'm booked on B2B Brilliance 5/22 and 5/29 out of Ravenna.  Final payment for the first leg is due next week.  I will be cancelling and had been waiting for them to release the Europe protocols, which frankly have left me more confused than I was before due to inconsistent language.

I booked under CWC and have paid a total of $1,000 so far ($500/week, non-refundable deposits).  Would really like to get a refund rather than FCC's especially since I don't know if I can cruise by 5/22/23.  My adult son was cruising with me -- he has had two doses but no booster (he had a bad reaction to the 2nd shot and is very reluctant to get the booster as a result), and his 2nd dose was over 270 days ago. 

So here are my questions:  Will the fact that his last dose was more than 270 days ago and no booster be a sufficient or accepted reason for me to say I don't agree with their protocols -- so that I can get a refund instead of FCC's?  Anyone have any luck canceling Europe cruises yet due to not agreeing w/ the newly-released protocols, and been told they'll get a refund instead of FCC?

TIA!

As far as I understand it may not be, as he can test before leaving the ship during the cruise for each port at your cost/$55.  I sure as heck hope it ends up that I'm wrong and it IS a reason to refund, as I'm in an almost identical situation (adult son, 2 doses, no more).  I would really appreciate any updates you may have as your situation progresses.

Edited by Levi is good

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

The protocol for May 6th on WOTS it's diferent from the protocol for may 8th (We will board may 8th)

Good luck and let us know what happens as I believe that is the first "real" cruise out of Barcelona!  I forsee a couple of scenarios:

1) You get a follow-up email admitting RCL screwed up the website and your test needs to be no more than one day before embarkation.  You board with no additional tests.  Highly likely.

2) No email and cruisers that show up with a two day old test are allowed on board with only that, ignoring the Healthy Gateways regulations that every cruise line and European government worked together to formulate. Not likely.

3) No email and every cruiser is rapid tested at embarkation.  Surprise!  That test we made you work around your travel schedule and pay 30-40 $/pounds/euros per person for?  Yeah that was just for fun.  I give that one 50/50 odds. 

4) No email and every cruiser with a two day old test is denied boarding because it does not meet  government regulations.  Hopefully there are enough rapid tests at the pier to help those folks, or they get left behind.

One thing is for sure, the cruisers boarding the Wonder in Rome will be fine.  Because they have been given the right information on the website.  

• Like 1

@Fairsailing the Healthy Gateways is just an recommendation by EU - it´s not kind of an EU wide law. So each country has it´s own regulations.

Actually the Healthy Gateways also recommends mandatory masks. All US cruise lines (except NCL) only recommend masks indoors but no mask mandate anymore for cruises in Europe.

steamboats

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

I've confirmed their definition of "fully vaccinated."

A guest who is fully vaccinated has received the full dose of the vaccine. To be considered up-to-date means the guest has also received the booster or their last dose of the vaccine less than 9 months ago

Ridiculous! We got boosters in October of last year. Will be GT 270 days for our September cruise. I'll be seeking refund for Protocols if that doesn't change.

21 minutes ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

I've confirmed their definition of "fully vaccinated."

A guest who is fully vaccinated has received the full dose of the vaccine. To be considered up-to-date means the guest has also received the booster or their last dose of the vaccine less than 9 months ago

Confirmed by whom?

2 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Ridiculous! We got boosters in October of last year. Will be GT 270 days for our September cruise. I'll be seeking refund for Protocols if that doesn't change.

No, you're considered up to date IF your last regular dose (not booster) was taken 270 days ago, or if you have had a booster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

No, you're considered up to date IF your last regular dose (not booster) was taken 270 days ago, or if you have had a booster.

Makes more sense! - but that isn’t what the highlighting says.

Edited by c-leg5