Iced tea

ceo418

Terrible iced tea. Very bitter and unpleasant. They must use a syrup and add water. I fresh brew mine at home only with Luzianne tea bags. Southerners like me know what good iced tea should be. Hope they don't serve the syrup based iced tea at Mason Jar on Wonder.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

“Do they have caffeine free tea bags?“

For fee or with refreshment or beverage package Cafe Promenade had some herbal tea choices, Tazo I think. I didn’t look closely but there are probably caffeine free choices in the windjammer and free coffee/tea station in Cafe Promenade. On Freedom there were more varieties of free tea than the limited Tazo selections. 

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I noticed that WJ had both sweetened and unsweetened, so I had to request which one I wanted. It was also frequently ice-free (just chilled), so the server would ask if I wanted ice added.

In the South, if you order ice tea it defaults to sweet tea. You have to say you want unsweetened if you want to go that route.

I just got off the Enchantment this morning.  For much of the cruise, it was your generic cruise iced tea.  But I think somewhere they must have ran out, because the last two days, I could swear it tasted like Earl Grey iced tea.

If you order hot tea from room service,  they bring water in a mug that has had coffee in it, tastes terrible.  Iced tea is awful.  I’m from the south so really like my iced tea, with sugar.  I just get a soft drink.  It tastes better.

Just got off Grandeur.  I asked the cabin attendant for a tea kettle…a hot pot kettle which he was able to get for me.   I  brought my own decaf tea bags, used two small bottles of water, heated the water, and let tea steep in the pot.   When it was room temp, poured the tea back one water bottle and stored fridge.   It’s kept up with the routine for the cruise.     I liked the other suggestion of brewing sun tea on the balcony……suppose that would would work well using tea bag in bottled water for sun tea then pour over ice…..

Agree with most, ship tea is too strong and bitter.  

9 hours ago, Dett said:

If you order hot tea from room service,  they bring water in a mug that has had coffee in it, tastes terrible.  Iced tea is awful.  I’m from the south so really like my iced tea, with sugar.  I just get a soft drink.  It tastes better.

I've had tea with that old coffee flavor. I hate coffee and had a hard time not spitting it out. The flavor never comes out of those insulated pots.

Pretty much, yep.  But at least we aren't being pressured into an upsell just yet.

I'm more disappointed that I can't get decent biscuits and gravy.  Some day we will have a cruise line with a Cracker Barrell upsell restaurant and I'll be there daily.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Wow!  We haven't cruised in 4 years ( last one cancelled due to Covid).  But they now have SWEET tea?  Miracles!  

NO, they do NOT have Sweet Tea.  They have iced tea that is sweetened.

If you do not understand the difference, my condolences. 😄

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've had tea with that old coffee flavor. I hate coffee and had a hard time not spitting it out. The flavor never comes out of those insulated pots.

I’ve gotten that in some high priced hotels (client was paying not me). I’m a devoted tea drinker who also hates coffee and this is one of my pet peeves. I’m also a fan of brewing a cup of strong tea and pouring it over a glass of ice. What they serve onboard is made from concentrate. Yuck. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:41 PM, Din321 said:

Do they have caffeine free tea bags?

When we cruise, I bring my own because there is not usually (or uniformly) a great selection of caffeine-free tea bags. There might be a decaf black, mint, and chamomile, but often they are not the best quality. You can always double up on them, though. I miss the orange herbal blend they used to have many years ago, which is now apparently only available in Canada, but that was my go-to on RCI back in the day.

A friend gave me a travel kit that has a tea-brewing mug and four small containers for loose tea, and I bring teabags as well for convenience. I make both hot and iced tea depending on the mood and occasion (iced tea using hot water from the promenade cafe and ice from the counter, or if there are freestyle machines on board). 

On 3/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, Lane Hog said:

Pretty much, yep.  But at least we aren't being pressured into an upsell just yet.

I'm more disappointed that I can't get decent biscuits and gravy.  Some day we will have a cruise line with a Cracker Barrell upsell restaurant and I'll be there daily.   

Well the new Wonder OTS has a sourhern specialty restaurant called “the Mason Jar”. Bet you score some good vittles in there.  😄

12 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

Well the new Wonder OTS has a sourhern specialty restaurant called “the Mason Jar”. Bet you score some good vittles in there.  😄

And probably even some Sweet Tea.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, mil76 said:

Last two cruises they had Bigelow tea in multiple flavors at the coffee stations.  Much better than that nasty London's Finest brand they used to have.  Cafe Promenade also has Tazo for the drink packages.

we will have a refreshment drink package. Thank you for the suggestion. I love tea but can’t stand their pre made stuff. I never thought of getting the tazo tea bags and making my own ice tea on ship.  It’s a good idea?  I have used tazo tea bags at home to make iced tea.