FLL vs. MIA

cltcruiser

Quick question which I'm sure has been discussed numerous times. We are sailing out of the Port of Miami, but airfare is significantly cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami. 

How difficult would it be to get from Ft. Lauderdale to a hotel in Miami/ Miami Beach.... and then from the port to the airport the day of debarkation?

Thanks!

Most will recommend you arrive the day before your cruise to build in a buffer incase of flight issues or other delays. In that case I would recommend flying into FLL and staying at a hotel near that area. They are often cheaper. Then using a transportation company like SAS to get to POM. Most transportation companies will have lists of FLL area hotels they pick up from. The price is about $14 per person.

Getting back to FLL to fly home I would uber from POM.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Most will recommend you arrive the day before your cruise to build in a buffer incase of flight issues or other delays. In that case I would recommend flying into FLL and staying at a hotel near that area. They are often cheaper. Then using a transportation company like SAS to get to POM. Most transportation companies will have lists of FLL area hotels they pick up from. The price is about $14 per person.

Getting back to FLL to fly home I would uber from POM.

Thanks. Yeah we are actually planning on coming in 2 nights early to spend the day before relaxing in the Miami area. I was just wondering how painful the process would be. Haha

46 minutes ago, cltcruiser said:

planning on coming in 2 nights early

In that case I would consider what I'm looking for in a hotel and use Uber or Lyft to get around. Pick a hotel that meets your needs anywhere between FLL and POM. You can look at a google map to help pick something convenient for ground transportation and has restaurants and stores within walking distance for the 2 days you are there.

Enjoy your trip

Listen to the CAPT - Uber and Lyft to Miami/Miami Beach.  If you need XL then the price for UberXL will be about the same as the metered fare for a taxi van ($75-80).  ride will take about 40-45+ minutes depending upon traffic.

I'd choose FLL if the costs are significantly less.

You don't list your home, but I'd also come in at least the day before. If I was flying in from an area close where there are plenty of back up flights should the first one have problems, maybe I'd feel differently.

17 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

Will SAS pick up at hotels in Ft L and bring you to POM

They pick up at some hotels near FLL - check their website for a list of hotels - and transport to POM.  Otherwise stay where you want and get picked up back at the airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

Good idea about the airport. Thank you for the info

Hotel pickup allows you to avoid another shuttle or taxi and dragging your bags back to the airport just to catch the van, but it only works if one of the hotels on their list meets your needs/budget.

Does anyone has experience with SAS picking up at FLL airport at 8 am-ish? Are they on time? We will be going from FLL to Miami downtown hotel. 

I know this is shared ride, did you experience if it would keep circling the airport until it's full? (We've had a bad experience where the van circles around for over 30 min before actually driving off)

Just trying to gauge realistically how ling is the wait before it takes off.