Why are the roll calls for Paul Gauguin so inactive?

liamur14

Well to start with, it's a small ship.  There are still Covid hoops to jump through to get to FP I believe, which doesn't help.  Then there are the old-timers like me who are still in the stage of mistrusting the new owners of the ship.  I'm sure there will be an uptick in interest in a few months, as positive reports roll in.  (BTW, the only time we've managed to share private excursions was when we were part of a pre-organized group.  The ship excursions are much the same as private ones, in our experience, i.e., most of the same vendors and guides.  With a few exceptions like special all-day motu snorkels in Rangiroa, for example.)

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well to start with, it's a small ship.  There are still Covid hoops to jump through to get to FP I believe, which doesn't help.  Then there are the old-timers like me who are still in the stage of mistrusting the new owners of the ship.  I'm sure there will be an uptick in interest in a few months, as positive reports roll in.  (BTW, the only time we've managed to share private excursions was when we were part of a pre-organized group.  The ship excursions are much the same as private ones, in our experience, i.e., most of the same vendors and guides.  With a few exceptions like special all-day motu snorkels in Rangiroa, for example.)

@Wendy The Wanderer We are just starting to research a trip to Tahiti, etc., and after the recent Crystal debacle I am wondering about the financial stability of Paul Gauguin.  You mention the new owners?  Can you elaborate as to why you mistrust the new owners?

Thanks,

Joanie

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Wendy The Wanderer We are just starting to research a trip to Tahiti, etc., and after the recent Crystal debacle I am wondering about the financial stability of Paul Gauguin.  You mention the new owners?  Can you elaborate as to why you mistrust the new owners?

Thanks,

Joanie

Paul Gauguin is now owned by Ponant.  We have cruised on her many times including in January under Ponant.  I don't think there are any particular worries about financial stability, but there was a bit of a different vibe this time.  Covid and weather had significant impacts.  Things felt a bit more French than before. She is still a lovely ship with an incredible staff many of whom have been there for years.  I wouldn't hesitate to experience French Polynesia on board.  

14 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@gabelle thanks for responding.  We are trying to decide between possibly Regent and Paul Gauguin, so all information is helpful.

Joanie

It's because of how they treated customers during the covid cancellation era. Refunds were very hard to come by. Also early reports that the ambience onboard had changed. But I'd still choose the PG I think unless Regent offered a really good itinerary on Navigator.

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's because of how they treated customers during the covid cancellation era. Refunds were very hard to come by. Also early reports that the ambience onboard had changed. But I'd still choose the PG I think unless Regent offered a really good itinerary on Navigator.

@Wendy The Wanderer Thanks for your response.  Trying to work out the best option for 2024....but need their schedule first.  

On 3/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Wendy our Nov cruise is sold out,  so why aren't people joining in ? I'd like to book some private excursions and need a few people. Last time we were on Holland and that was a great group. Just my 2 cents.

14 hours ago, liamur14 said:

Wendy our Nov cruise is sold out,  so why aren't people joining in ? I'd like to book some private excursions and need a few people. Last time we were on Holland and that was a great group. Just my 2 cents.

Not sure, but I don't think rollcalls in the past were particularly active. Is there one? Start one, if not. Lots of info on this site about private operators, but you'll have to hunt. TripAdvisor is useful too. Ship's excursions are usually excellent, btw.

• Like 1