Spirited Across the Atlantic -- Live-ish Report

Unibok

The large T/A group that is sucking the air out of a normal SS routine is

Travel Leaders. Observed one lanky lady dancing solo with moves that looked like a rodeo mustang,  and a fellow dancer who fell into the planter and tilted it over. Fortunately it was secured to a pillar.

Weather is still cold, rainy and damp.

Last night had rough seas with waves about 12 feet.

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, zqtchas said:

Uni, must agree with your observations re tours. While the buses are not full the groups show up together and crowded into cattle corners for samples. I have never been on a

wine event tour off a ship that amounted to much. These have been pretty bad. -so far, 

but we’re not taking anymore. 
About getting to LIS ; flight from EWR was over 2 hours late leaving - someone had to get off and then find there luggage. Then there was a substance not allowed  so they had to search all the luggage to find out what. Arrived over an hour late. Entered p/p

control ; it was a mass of humanity with no directions, people were cutting in and out of

lines. It was about 3 hours to get through.  About 2 hours through wife got faint others in line began helping and calling officials who helps us to check through quicker. No

wheel chairs were available. So they took a chair from the booth for her to rest on.

Upon reaching the pier it was another hour or so to check through. Which was further slowed by them having the wrong passport number- for the 5th time of check-ins.

Sorry to hear that Charles, it sounds about par for the course at Lisbon. The chaos of embarkation on the Moon last November was the worst we had ever experienced, and that was only a couple of hundred. Hope you coped with the rough weather ok.

• Thanks 1

So sorry that ' The Freebie Mob ' are causing the usual havoc for Paying Guests. Those of us who have experienced similar Groups over the Years have often wondered why Silversea allow such behaviour in the name of ' Marketing ' ???. It surely puts off regular Guests. It would seem that due to the weather the usual Dawn to Dusk Partying by the Pool is so far being curtailed !!!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mayflower1 said:

So sorry that ' The Freebie Mob ' are causing the usual havoc for Paying Guests. Those of us who have experienced similar Groups over the Years have often wondered why Silversea allow such behaviour in the name of ' Marketing ' ???. It surely puts off regular Guests. It would seem that due to the weather the usual Dawn to Dusk Partying by the Pool is so far being curtailed !!!

Hope you are keeping well and my response as ever coincides totally with the views you express.Many unwelcome memories of sharing such experiences with you...all the best!

Another crappy day in paradise. 
Another test today.

Atlantide: no one seems to be held back for no coats or wearing jeans.

Don’t like waiting in line? Just come in the back door and seat yourself.

22 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I have never been on a wine event tour off a ship that amounted to much. These have been pretty bad. -so far, 

So they improved then? 🙂

We did three last year .... all in Bordeaux ... one was OK, one was poor and one - considering the hype - was atrocious!  An allegedly top chateau that refused to give clean glasses when swapping from white wine to red? When several people queried this their comments were casually dismissed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Another crappy day in paradise. 
Another test today.

Atlantide: no one seems to be held back for no coats or wearing jeans.

Don’t like waiting in line? Just come in the back door and seat yourself.

😔

On 4/5/2022 at 4:55 AM, zqtchas said:

The large T/A group that is sucking the air out of a normal SS routine is

Travel Leaders. Observed one lanky lady dancing solo with moves that looked like a rodeo mustang,  and a fellow dancer who fell into the planter and tilted it over. Fortunately it was secured to a pillar.

Weather is still cold, rainy and damp.

Last night had rough seas with waves about 12 feet.

One would think that a TA would respect those that pay for their cruise—-otherwise TA’s wouldn’t this opportunity to cruise free.  And Regent should be careful not to upset paying cruisers.

Tonight the T/A s are taking over the high side of Atlantide.

A couple of nights ago they took over Indochine.

A few nights before that they took over the theatre and  the crew intro  was moved to the “hotel lobby” aka the Dolce Vita.

Edited by zqtchas

57 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

A few nights before that they took over the theatre and  the crew intro  was moved to the “hotel lobby” aka the Dolce Vita.

Hopefully the invasion will end soon and without any passenger casualties. 

I truly understand why SS wasn’t travel agents on the ship, but they need to control the numbers  In reality paying customers shouldn’t even know they are on the ship during a cruise.  During a port stop have a few on for a tour and lunch-period.  Silversea should know this—taking away from the customer experience isn’t right and unacceptable.  Head of marketing should understand.

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

The dinner crowd didn’t show. Don’t know where/who they went to bother this time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Good advice for Silversea too.

I was thinking Silversea, but typed Regent?????Guess because I cruised Regent for sometime and now changing over to Silversea for a different experience in cruising.

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Ugh!  Reading Charles’s posts and now yours, I can only imagine how Jolly is feeling.

Well, Stumbles, Jolly is feeling very well out of it.

I was the one who tested Covid positive in Lisbon and was disembarked after 24 hours in isolation on the ship to spend the remaining six days of my Portuguese Government required one week self isolation in a luxury hotel - The Tivoli.

I was never ill - just a snuffly nose - and I am now free and in London where I will resume my previous travel plans.

Don't get me wrong - six days shut in one room, even if luxurious, wasn't fun - but looking at the weather in the Med and reading the above comments, I'm not sure staying on the ship would have been much better.

And for reassurance to anyone else who might suffer the same fate - my contact in the Silvercare team has been very helpful, there was no cost to me for my Tivoli stay, and I will be refunded the cost of my missed cruise days and my extra one night London stay (well, supposedly, I've no reason to think it won't happen). And, so far, I have retained my full Venetian days.

All this despite being vaxxed and boosted (four months post booster) and keeping very much to myself on a half full ship. Just shows how sneaky that Omicron is.

OTOH, now that what I've feared for two years has come to pass, and has been tolerable, I have a great feeling of relief. But I think I will time my second booster to be just a few weeks before my next cruise, on the Dawn in July.

Thanks for thinking of me Stumbles!

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 12

22 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

So they improved then? 🙂

We did three last year .... all in Bordeaux ... one was OK, one was poor and one - considering the hype - was atrocious!  An allegedly top chateau that refused to give clean glasses when swapping from white wine to red? When several people queried this their comments were casually dismissed.

You are misquoting me. @zqtchasposted this.

17 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well, Stumbles, Jolly is feeling very well out of it.

I was the one who tested Covid positive in Lisbon and was disembarked after 24 hours in isolation on the ship to spend the remaining six days of my Portuguese Government required one week self isolation in a luxury hotel - The Tivoli.

I was never ill - just a snuffly nose - and I am now free and in London where I will resume my previous travel plans.

Don't get me wrong - six days shut in one room, even if luxurious, wasn't fun - but looking at the weather in the Med and reading the above comments, I'm not sure staying on the ship would have been much better.

And for reassurance to anyone else who might suffer the same fate - my contact in the Silvercare team has been very helpful, there was no cost to me for my Tivoli stay, and I will be refunded the cost of my missed cruise days and my extra one night London stay (well, supposedly, I've no reason to think it won't happen). And, so far, I have retained my full Venetian days.

All this despite being vaxxed and boosted (four months post booster) and keeping very much to myself on a half full ship. Just shows how sneaky that Omicron is.

OTOH, now that what I've feared for two years has come to pass, and has been tolerable, I have a great feeling of relief. But I think I will time my second booster to be just a few weeks before my next cruise, on the Dawn in July.

Thanks for thinking of me Stumbles!

WOW, sorry to hear that-but happy you’re being taken care of……..I just got back from a doctors appointment—-he said to get by booster 2 weeks before my trip, that after the 2 weeks you’re better protected for the next 30 days.  Hope he’s right.

Well, I am so sorry to read this Jolly.  But, glad you are doing well and didn’t have to put up with the aggravating TA group. Also, it’s good to read how SS has taken care of you.

Enjoy your time in London and where your travels take you next.

• Like 1

Jolly, did they give you a choice to stay on?

Sorry to hear your plight and good for you to take some positives. I certainly did on mine.... Though it wasn't me locked in a cell for 10 days! At least Portugal wasn't 14 like Ecuador!..... Especially with mild or zero symptoms.

Did you leave in full PPE?

I've 14 days to keep a low profile before my next sailing. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Hi Les,

No, no choice about disembarkation. 

Left ship in ordinary gear, just plus mask. 
Very glad Portugal was only seven days isolation! Not sure I’d have been so sanguine about a longer imprisonment. 

Happy sails for you, fingers crossed also.